CRF450RL Test

BBJ

17 minutes ago, BBJ said:

Depends what you want to do on it.  As well as my Africa Twin I have a KLX 250 which I use occasionally off road.  When I first got on the 450 I was expecting similar power off road to my Africa Twin (Power to weight) but it didn't feel that much different to my KLX in 1st and 2nd.  That being said the suspension is very good and will take a hammering if you want to do more technical stuff so long as you don't mind the service intervals.  When I tested it there is no way it was the 40bhp version and it seems to be the 22bhp 23Nm which are similar figures to the 250 if not mistaken.  The 300/250 is a decent road/trails bike but the suspension is pretty poor if you're over the 70kg mark.  As I ride my Africa Twin off road pretty hard, for me the 450, opened up with a remap and exhaust (about 50bhp) would be ideal.  It will do short tours and ideal for sticking on a truck to get to the places you really want to ride as I don't really tour that much on my AT now.  It's expensive to replace parts as well.  Plastics that easily crack etc.

The 1000km service and 30,000km rebuild might put some people off but it's not bad for a bike that can take some hammer.

But it is closer to the CRF450X that the 450R.

While fun, the Africa Twin is damn hard work in mud when you're alone.  

Next test, Harley Adventure thingamabob!

Interesting stuff and I was going to mention the Kwacka KLX's.

Although off road is not my thing motocross was good for me before going to road bikes the experience of having out of control situations helps you sometimes have a save on road.

I would say the 450RL must be for a serious off road rider, you think.? 

If I wanted to do off road the late CRF250L I had was a good little high reving engine and what you say about suspension if you spent money upgrading it,  would I be wrong in saying it would do the job almost as well as the 450RL at much less cost. 

IMG_20180408_174939.thumb.jpg.07ed8a60560fa17f9c3f34b5a63169dc.jpg

Look forward to your take on the Harley and it's nowadays spec.

The only Harley I rode was a Night Rod, which was an experience but only impressive straight line stuff and very heavy.

19 minutes ago, BBJ said:

Pretty sure the 250 would be enough for most.  My biker colleague has a CRF250l and changed the ECU to a CBR300 if I am not mistaken.  Changing the suspension will definately make a difference.  I upgraded my CRF1000 because of where I ride and my KLX had some work done prior before I bought it from a friend.   But having said that it all depends what you intend to do.  Steady trail riding and a little log hopping the suspension will do OK.    Springs are pretty cheap for the CRF and KLX 250s.  Little money for a decent gain.

My KLX 2009.

not a twig.jpg

Good stuff I luv talking about bikes and usually end up alone. ????

Later in life I rode my youngest son's Motocross RM125 2 stroke, don't like 2 strokes but it kicked some.

When he was 16 I bought what he was allowed to ride on the road a 50cc 4 stroke funny he said he could run faster. ????

• Like 1

For me the 450 is a no go - the need for motocross-level maintenance is a definite turnoff.

I installed Ohlins front and back, CB500X wheels with 17's, and did the 300 conversion.

Don't do hard core offroad - to F old - but gravel and dirt in the dry no problem with the Angel CiTy's I installed this spring.

Along with  Narong seat of course.

Ticks all the boxes for me. Power OK for the hiway - which I avoid as much as I can and stick to secondary roads.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 2

The 250/300L are outgrown very quickly if you ride anything slightly aggressive off-road. Prior to proper off-road bikes being made available at reasonable money they were acceptable for what they were with some mods thrown at them they were reasonably competent.

The 450RL uncorked is in a completely different league. You can't even compare the two bikes. If you are considering the pros and cons over each, you are probably a 300L type of guy because those who can ride a bike quick in dirt wouldn't even consider the 300L when the 450RL is available. Unless of course cost is the only dictating factor. Even then you wait a few years for the 2nd hand market and pick one up for 250K baht? Maybe less... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Maintenance sked attached

32,000 KM - piston, pin, rings, crankshaft !!! etc

Off road - 8 races or 30 hours

No thanks

https://maintenanceschedule.net/honda-crf450l-maintenance-schedule/

I don't think you grasp the finer points of dual sport riding in comparison to balls to wall racing. But you stick to commenting on things you do know about. It'll serve you better in the future. 

5 hours ago, DDBKK said:

I don't think you grasp the finer points of dual sport riding in comparison to balls to wall racing. But you stick to commenting on things you do know about. It'll serve you better in the future. 

Ad hominen? I thought this was a thread about a 450?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DDBKK said:

That's funny, grasp what, there's nothing good about a bike like that needs that kind of maintenance when it's supposed to be dual sport. 

The good thing about it is it's a Honda, the weight, and a bit more power but the price tag is going to make hard to sell in Thailand. 

BBJ what is your take on the Tenere 700? I am considering buying one as a travel adventure bike, 99% tarmac perhaps more off-road later.

30k km rebuild is a show stopper for me but okay not really an off-roader anymore so not a bike for me.

A friend of mine will have his KLX250 upgraded to 300 or 350cc, there is a shop in CM specializing in this. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canthai55 said:

32,000 Km is the recommended non racing maintenance sked

How many people are going to race it?  For those that might the rebuild schedule you quoted it normal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BBJ said:

How many people are going to race it?  For those that might the rebuild schedule you quoted it normal. 

Going on the current mileage of my 2014 CRF250L it would take me about 12 years to hit 32k...so that's not an issue, nor the price really...but all the guys I ride with are on 250's...so I'll stick with my old girl, bless her

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Is the 450 for sale road legal?

Yes

• Like 2

15 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Is the 450 for sale road legal?

As mentioned yes.  To make it legal and to EU regs, weighted damping has been included such as rubber sided main drive sprocket, exhaust damping to mention a few which have increased the weight. Obviosly, all this can be changed if someone wants to drop a few KG on the bike. 

23 hours ago, BBJ said:

Done 200km on my KLX since I bought from a buddy a year ago. Transported by truck to the off road places I ride so does little to no road mileage.  2009, 250s only has 16k on it. 

Yep, I don't know why people would do huge miles on these types of bikes, that's not what they're built for. If you want to tour with a bit of light off road then a CB500X, Tenere, Versys type of bike would be far better. 

These bikes would generally get ridden to the trails and all the other stuff would be off road, which is generally low mileage as it's tough to rack up hundreds of kms on dirt tracks. 1000 kms for an oil change doesn't sound too bad at all, I change it every 5-6 hours on my KX250F and that doesn't really bother me, it's a 5 minute job. It takes me longer to jetwash the bike after riding it than it does to change the oil. The oil filter is even easier, 2 bolts on the side of the engine - a 2 minute job. 

As for 32,000 kms, it would take most people many many years to rack of those type of kms on what is essentially a street legal dirtbike. I guess they could if this was their only bike/daily rider but again I doubt people would buy this as their main form of transport.

The only downside is the restriction to 24hp. I know it's only an exhaust and ECU mod but I just hate the principle of Honda Thailand always selling their poorly spec'd/restricted/lowered bikes in the Thai market.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

These bikes would generally get ridden to the trails and all the other stuff would be off road, which is generally low mileage as it's tough to rack up hundreds of kms on dirt tracks. 1000 kms for an oil change doesn't sound too bad at all,

Pretty well sums up my CRF250L, we try and ride every Friday and average about 80km per ride, a quarter of that will be on pavement getting to the trails and linking them up. I give mine an oil change every 1,000km and a new filter every other oil change.

• Like 1