Truck License Plates Change Province

Banana7

If a truck is purchased in Bangkok with Bangkok license plates and the new owner lives in another province, does one have to change the plates to new owner's province?

The blue book,  from the dealer,  does say the truck is transferred to the new owner's province in the transfer section of the blue book, but the plate on the vehicle is still the Bangkok plate. The new owner's certificate of residence (COR) was provided to the dealer to make the transfer to the new owner.

If the plate does need to be changed, is there a time limit to change it? What is the cost to get a new plate in the province of residence in such a situation?

10 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If the plate does need to be changed,

is there a time limit to change it?

What is the cost to get a new plate in the province of residence in such a situation?

We changed the plate to our province on one car we had, we were only asked if we wanted to.

The record I kept of the cost of changing my motorbike plate was 450 bht and got it in 3 weeks.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If a truck is purchased in Bangkok with Bangkok license plates and the new owner lives in another province, does one have to change the plates to new owner's province?

Not necessarily.

13 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The blue book,  from the dealer,  does say the truck is transferred to the new owner's province in the transfer section of the blue book, but the plate on the vehicle is still the Bangkok plate. The new owner's certificate of residence (COR) was provided to the dealer to make the transfer to the new owner.

Is the new owner's name in the blue book?

38 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Yes, new owner's name and address are in the blue book.

I'm still a bit confused because above you wrote:

On 4/18/2021 at 12:24 AM, Banana7 said:

does say the truck is transferred to the new owner's province in the transfer section of the blue book, but the plate on the vehicle is still the Bangkok plate.

To clarify it, here a random picture from Google, I added the red numbers:

car.jpg.fe05113ff83706ba1ff03121b5638dc2.jpg

(There are multiple of such pages in your blue book, look at the last one, that's the most recent)

1. The license plate letter/number, this should of course match the license plate on the car

2. The province in which the car is registered, this should also match what is on the license plate

3. The name of the owner

4. The address of the owner, the province here can be different from the province in point 2.

If the name of the owner is correct and the license plate matches the data in the blue book then everything is in order, and you don't need to change anything, you can keep the Bangkok plates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you purchase a new vehicle and you request certain plate numbers your plates will come from Bangkok.  It is the only area that lets you request certain numbers for your plate.  It also takes around 3 months to get the plates as you have to wait for those numbers to come up again.  Our 2 new cars we bought in Nonthaburi, live in Ratchaburi, but the plates are Kreungthep (Bangkok).  My wife didn't want any zeros or a plate number ending with a 9.  Bad luck you know.

Going through this currently and previously too. The information I have been given is that if the owner (stated in the blue book) remains the same but simply changes province, you don't need to do anything. However if the new owner lives in a different province than the old owner and has a registration number in that old province - then as part of the transfer of owners name - the vehicle must be re-registered with a new number from the new owners province.  Those places that can do your annual test and insurance etc (one stop shops) can sometimes do this.  I have been quoted 4k to change owners name, address and registration number from the old owner and province, to the new owners and new province (and new number) For me thats a price worth paying, to let someone else do all the work.

I bought a 2nd hand motorcycle years ago in Isaan and took it down to Phuket. As well as changing the owners name to mine in the book, I had to get a new Phuket registration. It wasn't really difficult. I left Phuket in 2010 and still have the bike, still has a Phuket registration and have never had a problem at all with anyone (Including police checks) despite having lived in 4 different provinces since then, but never changed owner - so its fine.

Went to do the change for a truck from Bangkok plates to Chonburi today. Price is 425 baht. Needed 2 copies of passport photo page, 1 copy of visa page, certificate of residence from immigration, 2 copies of last owner page in blue book. In Chonburi, they physically check the vehicle, copy the frame and engine number, run the blue book through computer checks, takes about 45 minutes, before issuing an acceptance document for registration in Chonburi. Was able to choose from 2 different ranges of plate numbers, get to submit 5 picks, and first one that's available is your new plate number.  Takes up to 2 weeks to get the new plates. DLT lady said the transfer should be done within 60 days of purchase, for out of province purchases with plates in other provinces.

• Like 1