Med Exam

claynlr

Have followed this thread for a while as I live in Kamphaeng Phet but first post. Went today for the “Silver” yearly exam at Sri Nakhon hospital in Nakhon and it went very well, just some B vitamin deficiency so all well. Got the ol’ prostate finger as well (65 years old)...Around 7000bt with first vitamins.

Stopped at Tesco and got some cheddar chunks and saltines that I have so missed.....enjoyed this evening. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoyed!

Hope everyone is well, just trying to share some info.

53 minutes ago, claynlr said:

Hope everyone is well, just trying to share some info.

Marmite on toast is a good vit B take in along with meat and veg.

What's a 'silver' med  exam ? 

I get taken care of in my local Sukhothai govt hospital.

1 hour ago, claynlr said:

It was a private hospital. I have been to the gov hospital in K.P. Visiting a friend....no thanks

Yes I have heard many govt hospitals are a bad experience mostly the waiting time. 

The basic bed ward areas are very noisy but I have got private air-con ward rooms when I have had to stay. 

I've been to many hospitals far and wide in Thailand on occasion and private hospitals are no better than my local govt one,  except for cost, all I can say is it depends where you live I guess. 

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, claynlr said:

It was a private hospital. I have been to the gov hospital in K.P. Visiting a friend....no thanks

What a ridiculous comment, absolutely nothing wrong with government hospitals here, i more than most have had plenty of experience with them, staff at 1 saved my life, no hospital anywhere could have done better.

I hope you never find yourself in the same position as me, what would you say? Oh dont take me to a government hospital, i dont like them.

• Like 1

Don't knock the government hospitals, they may not look as nice as the private hospitals but the level of care is often much higher, especially at the large District hospitals. And the government hospitals nearly always have the best medical staff, the doctors and surgeons at the private hospitals are in it for the money, the ones at the district hospitals are in it because they want to treat patients and practice medicine.

1 hour ago, Brierley said:

government hospitals nearly always have the best medical staff, the doctors and surgeons at the private hospitals

Absolutely; I was recently quoted 50k for a Microdisectomy at a government hospital, or if I go to a private hospital with the same Spinal surgeon, 150k.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brierley said:

Don't knock the government hospitals, they may not look as nice as the private hospitals but the level of care is often much higher, especially at the large District hospitals. And the government hospitals nearly always have the best medical staff, the doctors and surgeons at the private hospitals are in it for the money, the ones at the district hospitals are in it because they want to treat patients and practice medicine.

Visiting a Thai State Hospital can be a challenging experience for some. A lot of that could well be dependent upon the qualitative 'care' available in ones home country and their experience there.

In state controlled hospitals 'care' is more about getting sick people well and moving on to the next 'sick person'. Leaving family to provide the 'nicer' elements of care.

Many physicians share their workload between state and private hospitals with many (attached to the military) being really good.

In medical terms the Thai system is pretty good. If you're more comfortable when being cosseted, the private system is perhaps you're best option. Just  be prepared to pay accordingly.

Can't name the hospitals, or the physicians, but our daughter was treated at a well known private hospital and upon discharge was told she could return home for convalescence. During that time she became seriously ill. So serious that the only option was treatment at a local state hospital. A surgeon there, saved her life and in private made references to a "butcher'.

We paid a lot of money for the 'butchers' service, whom passed the responsibility for care to a local (army) surgeon. In comparison the latter cost a financial pittance, but the dedication and alacrity was there. Their family has been and are good friends.

• Like 1