Vaccinations/Third Wave

Rig Pig

I would like to get vaccinated for the Covid virus. But for some reason vaccines are not available here in Thailand. Supposedly, a local Thai company has had license to manufacture the AZ medicine for 7 months now and, to date, has not administered one dose! COVAX in conjunction with WHO has delivered 40 million doses worldwide for FREE, including Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia, Taiwan, Philippines, and Sri Lanka. Where are ours?

Thailand, a country that promotes it's healthcare facilities, has fully vaccinated only 0.1% of the population. The US has fully vaccinated 25.6% of their people.

Yes, I suppose that I could consider going somewhere to get vaccinated but this is my home and the cost and logistics for me and my family are somewhat over the top. I am willing to pay for the vaccination.

Is there a profit motive involved? I am hoping someone can enlighten me on what is going on here! Thank you!

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Rig Pig said:

Is there a profit motive involved? I am hoping someone can enlighten me on what is going on here! Thank you!

The AZ vaccine is being produced by Siam Bioscience which is owned by the top man in Thailand, so detailed discussion on this and why it was awarded is not permitted unless we are willing to face prosecution, thats the reality of the situation here.

• Confused 1

Thailand is not part of COVAX so is not able to source supplies. This was a conscious decision made by the government. The local AZ producer has had to construct a manufacturing facility from a greenfield site and is only now starting to run trial production, samples of which have to go to the US and other places to be lab tested and onky then verified by AZ. Following that, if successful, the product has to be approved by local regulators before full scale production will commence. Today it has been reported in the press that first innoculations will commence in July. It is worth pointing out the AZ has a deplorable track record in locations such as Argentina, Brazil and the EU where they are using producers that are experienced in vaccine production, with deliveries running between 30% and 4% of promised\contracted volumes. The next few weeks will be critical to the future of this country as it has no fall-back plan.

Thank you Bkk Brian and brommers for your replies! Although I appreciate the comments it remains that what you call a "conscious decision" turned out to be an unconscious act that has now contributed to thousands of illnesses, over 100 deaths and an economic depravity never before seen! 

The only thing that needs to happen, is for everyone in Thailand to get vaccinated, now!

Call COVAX, call WHO, call whoever you can to get some vaccines. It is extremely disturbing that mass vaccination efforts are not in progress now, as we speak! Frustrated!