Laos going into lockdown with 0 deaths so far

Looking like COVID has nearly completed it's first trip around the world, and it's about to return to where it came from.

Just a skip aross the border into China from there - I wonder why they're locking down in Laos when there's apparently no problem?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Looking like COVID has nearly completed it's first trip around the world, and it's about to return to where it came from.

Just a skip aross the border into China from there - I wonder why they're locking down in Laos when there's apparently no problem?

From my contacts there, it would seem that they've had virtually 0 officially recorded cases since it started, but now they've imported about 40 from overseas (of course!) and want to stop them spreading.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Isn't Laos under permanent lockdown?

No need to close the shopping centers, supermarkets, movie theaters, pubs and others, since there are none!

Haven't been in Laos since the 70's or something?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JCauto said:

Wow, hadn't realized that we were in such a dark place. Sounds like we're on a remote planet compared to you sophisticated Thai-dwelling folk. Gee, I wonder where the new outbreak came from?

The Government of Lao PDR (GOL) has been ultra-cautious because they understand that there is very limited hospital capacity to deal with any sort of outbreak, so any time there's any sign of one, they shut it down. You'll find pretty much everyone here in agreement with this policy. You'll also find that the Government and people here don't look at foreigners as walking ATMs - the impoverished GOL has somehow managed to provide FREE vaccines to foreigners, no hassle, no paperwork, no cost, no difference at all between the rules and treatment for the Lao and the falang. How is it that such a large economy with so many foreigners who contribute to it doesn't take care of them? 

Oh if only we had the wise and knowledgeable Thai Military in charge of Lao PDR, how wonderful our situation would be!

Totally agree Laos country and people so much nicer and certainly more intelligent than the morons across the Mekong 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Yes. Laos had had hundreds or maybe thousands of pneumonia and lung disease deaths,  but thankfully, not one COVID death.

Wink wink   nudge  nudge.  Know what I mean.

\

Geezer

Got some sort of insider information? Because I work all over the country, and if there were outbreaks, you'd know it.

• Thanks 1

The recent outbreaks are related to illegal entry over the Mekong river from Thailand, either from returning Lao people, or Thais going on a jaunt to Vientiane, - both kinds of people avoiding the Covid checkpoints and quarantine.  Personally, I'd "throw the book" at these people, with a 5-year jail-term minimum.

7 provinces are under lockdown as the virus spreads.  Here in Luang Prabang, there is no lockdown yet, but a curfew.  However, many people are applying lockdown requirements now - one trip to the food shop and that's it!  Laos can't afford a pandemic with its poor healthcare infrastructure.

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Well JCauto, if you believe the numbers in Thailand, or Laos or actually anywhere in Asia,  well good luck to you.

Thats all I can say, as I guess I am just not very naive.

Geezer

Yes, that's completely logical.

"I don't believe anything from the government or anyone else despite those people sheeple being in jobs specifically to do this. I don't believe that trained professionals would simply report what they find, I think they're more likely to just make stuff up because, you know, that's how public health officials work and keep their positions for long careers - you'll find a dart board hidden behind every calendar in their offices. Therefore, I'm very clever because I can imagine myself knowing so much more from my seat on my morning throne, whereas you are naive."