Thailand says Russia agrees to supply Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine

snoop1130

Looks like all the western guys are waiting for Moderna or Pfizer. There is a simple reason why there will be no Pfizer in Thailand. Transportation conditions are too hard to maintain. -70 below zero. This is why most countries in this world have bought Chinese and Russian vaccines. Chinese and Russian vaccines are cheap, effective and easy to transport.
So several months later we will see Sputnik and Sinovac everywhere in Thailand (300-800 THB/jab) and a 100-200 doses of Pfizer at the price of 10000$ per jab in Bangkok only.
Looks like it is time for the western guys to begin prepare themselves morally for the ongoing anti-rusophobic medication.

Edited by friendofthai
  • Like 1

It is not correct to compare Sputnik(or Sinovac) and Pfizer/Moderna. Because Pfizer/Moderna are not designed for the vaccine diplomacy - they are too hard in transportation. Of course you can buy it everywhere in this world - but at a very high price.
The only western vaccine that is ready for vaccine diplomacy is AZ. And AZ is obviously loosing in this competition, Sinovac and Sputnik being the winners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, friendofthai said:

Looks like all the western guys are waiting for Moderna or Pfizer. There is a simple reason why there will be no Pfizer in Thailand. Transportation conditions are too hard to maintain. -70 below zero. This is why most countries in this world have bought Chinese and Russian vaccines. Chinese and Russian vaccines are cheap, effective and easy to transport.
So several months later we will see Sputnik and Sinovac everywhere in Thailand (300-800 THB/jab) and a 100-200 doses of Pfizer at the price of 10000$ per jab in Bangkok only.
Looks like it is time for the western guys to begin prepare themselves morally for the ongoing anti-rusophobic medication.

The reason most countries in the world don't have Pfizer is because the US would not all them to be exported!  Nothing to do with transport issues.

That may be changing very soon though.  Now that the US is getting closer to having 50% of it's population jabbed.

Nothing wrong with the Chinese or Russian jabs.  If I was offered either one today, I'd take it!

• Like 1

A post and reply providing graphs but no link to the source have been removed. 

Please post a link with information that is being presented as factual such as tables and graphs.

Edit:  The source must be a credible source.   Social Media is not generally a credible source unless it links to a source that is credible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dmitry2222 said:

One gets the impression that  you are working for Aztrazeneca ????

Why's that? What gives you that impression ????

Edited by Bkk Brian
Added a simile just to keep you happy

3 hours ago, Dmitry2222 said:

Because for several days you tirelessly write about the superiority of western vaccines, in particular AZ. 

It can't be free for AZ ????

Show me where I've constantly posted about the superiority of western vaccines? Can you find a quote on that?

As for Astrazeneca, in Thailand we only currently have two choices, Sinovax or Astrazeneca. Seeing as I'm 61 years old then I would not be offered Sinovac. So that brings me to the only choice I'll currently have, ie AZ.

Ethically for me that would be my preferred choice, why, its not for profit cost. There are only 2 vaccine manufacturers that offer this, AZ and J&J.

Second reason, it offers more protection than Sinovac.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Show me where I've constantly posted about the superiority of western vaccines? Can you find a quote on that?

On previous pages you declared that true vaccine must have published "real world data". However, the thought that everything must be published in a western sources looks like sometimes does not work ???? (you can not find such data about Sputnik). This this the link for that:

Later you publish the example for "real world data" from the US. At the same time "business insider" is not a scientific source. 

This is your words about "real world data":
> This kind of data gives confidence and credibility.

So, according to you when vaccine has not such data looking like is not good. I believe here it is clear which vaccine is good and which is not in your opinion. ????

I'm a 45 min flight away in Phuket with my wife and daughter, happily married for 14 years here.

If I had a choice between Sputnik or Sinovac which I don't then, (my only choice by the Thai government is AZ), I would hands down go for Sputnik if approved so its seems your wrong yet again.

However you are rapidly taking me off the idea of ever getting jabbed by Sputnik...

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comments removed

I wish u well, hope u get any vaccine u want. Honestly I don't care what vaccine u gonna take. As for me I'm not even gonna jab myself in near future. I'm a survivor, lol.

Russians are here to celebrate that sputnik is somewhat recognisable in Thailand. And it's all we care. Because as u, and as everyone else on this forum we just want  this nightmare to finish. 

As everyone else here we want to get back to them beaches, tom yams and smiles because winters in Russia are freaking unbearable!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, boogiewoogie said:

I wish u well, hope u get any vaccine u want. Honestly I don't care what vaccine u gonna take. As for me I'm not even gonna jab myself in near future. I'm a survivor, lol.

Russians are here to celebrate that sputnik is somewhat recognisable in Thailand. And it's all we care. Because as u, and as everyone else on this forum we just want  this nightmare to finish. 

As everyone else here we want to get back to them beaches, tom yams and smiles because winters in Russia are freaking unbearable!

Vaccine hesitancy is a potentially huge problem if we are to tackle this virus.  Millions of jabs and so far, they've all proven to be very safe.

We'll get back to the beaches once we reach herd immunity via vaccines.  Roll up your sleeve.  It's the right thing to do.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, internationalism said:

sinovac was not cheap, 650b per vial for the first batch 2mln.

Thai have ordered another 2mln.

at $21 per vial it's more expensive, as many other ones.

But thailand has no choice, has to buy anything and for any price.

They waited far too long.

So I won't be surprised if they pay also over $20 for sputnik. Blame thailand for not planning for the future waves and new strains 

I thought The PM said Thailand was producing it's own Vaccine?????? That was about a year ago.

14 hours ago, boogiewoogie said:

Well ... same as other Europeans.

Tanzania - which saw a huge increase in tourists from Russia and other European countries in the last 12 months - is loosing its advantages:

- after the ...accidental... death of President Magafuli, the new president Sambia Suhulu Hassan is reverting Magafuli’s critical approach to oppressive Covid measures

- not at least from Russian tourists, there are numerous reports of returnees not with Covid, but with severe cases of Malaria and Human Sleeping Sickness (not that one often seen here in LOS with the staff, but the real one from the Tsetse fly ???? )

So there is obviously the urgent need for a replacement of an alternative,   many of my friends used in the last 12 months !

Edited by BernieOnTour

27 minutes ago, Ginner said:

I thought The PM said Thailand was producing it's own Vaccine?????? That was about a year ago.

thailand started to sing contracts for vax from september, with some 20 different producers.

but later decided, that only local AZ will be their choice.

when in january became known, that there are delays, they have ordered 2mln sinovac, which arrived in march and april.

clearly they did not plan for any waves and for new strains. For that you need rapid vax, before virus starts spreading, they were really surprised by the 3rd wave, so they even let songkran to go on. They did not expect the UK strain.

Only after sonkran they have realised their mistake and started pfizer and sputnik emergency supplies talks

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

Well ... same as other Europeans.

Tanzania - which saw a huge increase in tourists from Russia and other European countries in the last 12 months - is loosing its advantages:

- after the ...accidental... death of President Magafuli, the new president Sambia Suhulu Hassan is reverting Magafuli’s critical approach to oppressive Covid measures

- not at least from Russian tourists, there are numerous reports of returnees not with Covid, but with severe cases of Malaria and Human Sleeping Sickness (not that one often seen here in LOS with the staff, but the real one from the Tsetse fly ???? )

So there is obviously the urgent need for a replacement of an alternative,   many of my friends used in the last 12 months !

By the way, some IFRs - infection fatality rates- :

African trypanosomiasis (sleeping sickness):  100%, if untreated

Pneunomic Plague (for those, who considered Madagascar): 50%, if untreated

Plasmodium falciparum, when in the category of “severe and complicated Malaria”: 20%

Dengue: in severe cases 0.8-2.5%, with adequate treatment <1%

... compared to that, Ioannidis evaluated several metastudies for Covid (even one of the infamous Imperial College) and is coming to the conclusion:

- 1.5-2.0 billion people got infected with SARS-CoV2 already

- the Infection Fatality Rate is ~ 0.15 %

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eci.13554

STAY HEALTHY, GUYS !

... but don’t forget:

there’s a lot of sh.t creeping around in the tropical countries, we love,

which you ignored, before worrying about Covid 

Edited by BernieOnTour
  • Like 1

Many posts in this combative thread are simply cold war propaganda...  ALL news media are bias, perhaps unconsciously so.  I watch RT for news from a Russian perspective, in the same way as I might read Reuters for news from a 'western' perspective.

As for whether the Russian vaccine is effective, I have to say, (as a scientist and engineer all my life), that I have very high respect for Russian scientists and engineers, who decades ago, have been able to achieve notable world-firsts, with the minimum of modern technologies (think Sputnik satellite, first man in space etc).  

I would have no hesitation in having a Sputnik vaccine, (if I could find a hospital here in Luang Prabang that has some on tap!).  It would certainly be my preference over anything manufactured/designed in the USA ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

African trypanosomiasis (sleeping sickness):  100%, if untreated

Pneunomic Plague (for those, who considered Madagascar): 50%, if untreated

Plasmodium falciparum, when in the category of “severe and complicated Malaria”: 20%

Those are not the true IFR's for those conditions though, are they? They're only a worst case scenario either if the disease is left untreated or if you have a particular form of the disease that is worse than normal.

Almost any disease can kill you if left untreated. However according to the CDC, all the ailments you mention are curable with a well-established and recognised course of medication, especially if treatment is started early. 

The same can't be said for CoVid-19.

Also, none of those are infectious diseases that spread from person to person and more importantly, none of them is currently increasing at an exponential rate has just seen its number of cases double worldwide in the last two months.

19 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

As for Astrazeneca, in Thailand we only currently have two choices, Sinovax or Astrazeneca. Seeing as I'm 61 years old then I would not be offered Sinovac. So that brings me to the only choice I'll currently have, ie AZ.

Ethically for me that would be my preferred choice, why, its not for profit cost. There are only 2 vaccine manufacturers that offer this, AZ and J&J.

Second reason, it offers more protection than Sinovac.

Don't think AZ is even available in Thailand right now I though towards the end of the year,  could be wrong

On 4/24/2021 at 1:39 PM, friendofthai said:

I will be getting a FREE dose of either  Moderna, Pfizer or J&J while you're scrounging up  300-800 THB for a vaccine where Covid 19 came from, China.  Then they  lied about it. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Pattaya mayor recently announced no mass vaccinations until October. Big difference!

Can I get odds on October +

If I was gov of Pattaya I would use the phrase "this year" would/maybe cover a#s

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Almost any disease can kill you if left untreated. However according to the CDC, all the ailments you mention are curable with a well-established and recognised course of medication, especially if treatment is started early. 

The same can't be said for CoVid-19.

Also, none of those are infectious diseases that spread from person to person and more importantly, none of them is currently increasing at an exponential rate has just seen its number of cases double worldwide in the last two months.

It seems, you missed my post before that ...

Many are afraid of “asymptomatic” infections with SARS-CoV2,

and the studies, I mentioned above, estimate the number of global infections to be 1.5 - 2.0 billion.

Add in to that: the mostly non severe effects among the younger cohorts below 65 (and IFR 0.05% for those below 70).

That means:

Despite being untreated, many do NOT fall fatally ill !

BTW, your:

“... course of medication, especially if treatment is started early. The same can't be said for CoVid-19.”

Sorry, but that’s just utterly wrong, we aren’t anymore in March 2020.

Do your homework!

Just reading Twitter posts, listening to TV and newspaper headlines  is for sure easier ... but: Don’t rely on journalists, who have zero knowledge...

Even with Google, you can easily find by yourself enough studies and treatment schemes.

However, that might need some decisiveness to really do it and some concentration to understand it.

But with the wealth of information, nowadays easily accessible in the internet (even despite the filtering by BigTech like Google and YouTube), it should be manageable for every adult to make up his own mind and find out enough about it.

Especially, if due to his personal, specific circumstances, someone is afraid of Covid, that should be a no-brainer.

(I have preconditions, by the way,  - that’s why I decided to dig deeper on my own, instead of only listening to TV and mainstream newspapers.)

Edited by BernieOnTour