Thailand says Russia agrees to supply Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine

snoop1130

“The main thing is the timeframe for the delivery, the price is not a concern and people’s safety is more important,” Anutin said.

China, Russia, delayed sourcing.

And they say the price isn't a concern.

Methinks they are having a larf.

7 minutes ago, boogiewoogie said:

Let's be honest, in normal days it takes years for FDA to approve anything. Years. 2 and a half on average to be exact.

Phizer could have side effects? Absolutely! Some people will die? Yes! Many!

But now is not the time to have long discussions so FDA took a risk and cleared it.

So in a way, it's compromised.

Friends who had had dealings with Thai FDA say that is a grasping brown envelope culture big time. Same for the GPO which will be charged with importing vaccines for the private sector.  The more banana skins they can throw on the path, the fatter the brown envelopes. There are good reasons why Pfizer has not bothered to apply to register its vaccine until now when Thailand is in its knees and they can demand a personal assurance of no BS from Anutin or they will drop out and allocate elsewhere.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

sinovac was not cheap, 650b per vial for the first batch 2mln.

Thai have ordered another 2mln.

at $21 per vial it's more expensive, as many other ones.

But thailand has no choice, has to buy anything and for any price.

They waited far too long.

So I won't be surprised if they pay also over $20 for sputnik. Blame thailand for not planning for the future waves and new strains 

Russia has gone to great lengths to promote Sputnik V beyond its borders in a vaccine diplomacy drive, promising that it will cost Less than $10 (£7.2; €8.4) per dose for international buyers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rinrada said:

Russia has gone to great lengths to promote Sputnik V beyond its borders in a vaccine diplomacy drive, promising that it will cost Less than $10 (£7.2; €8.4) per dose for international buyers.

Yes and its safe and effective we're going to have to swallow the unfortunate politics of the situation (positive PR for an authoritarian anti-democracy dictatorship).

20 minutes ago, boogiewoogie said:

Let's be honest, in normal days it takes years for FDA to approve anything. Years. 2 and a half on average to be exact.

Phizer could have side effects? Absolutely! Some people will die? Yes! Many!

But now is not the time to have long discussions so FDA took a risk and cleared it.

So in a way, it's compromised.

Agreed.  In normal days, these vaccines would be years away from being made available.  Sadly, we're not in normal days.

I had a friend who worked with the FDA here.  He said they were very strict. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

there in vax for serfs.

AZ is 240b

sinovac 650b.

probably any other ones bought now would be more expensive, because emergency buy and acute shortage.

India might shutting shortly monthly production 170mln, shortage of 15 crucial components from the usa 

The main thing is the timeframe for the delivery, the price is not a concern and people’s safety is more important,” Anutin said.

• Haha 1

It’s not that I don’t trust the Russians or the Chinese to come up with an effective, reliable vaccine - and for the Thai gov’t to distribute it...no, really.

Sorry, but I don’t any of these countries.

Edited by DBath

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

amid competition for global supplies

Capitalists never apologize for denying medicine to the poor.  You have to understand:  if we don't make a profit, we won't ever do anything.  Shouldn't governments be requiring adequate supplies and not trying to make deals with companies?  Just steal their factories and workers and make the vaccine if they won't provide it.  Don't apologize to them.  

LOL. AstroZeneca, the Chinese one and Sputnik.

Man, they're really going for quality here!

And they won't approve Moderna for private hospitals to get it for people who want to pay for it. 

Maybe someday we'll get Pfizer (so they say).

As Yakov Smirnoff once said "what a country"...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Like everybody else planned ahead and factored in new strains?

Well even I know that viruses mutate so hardly a surprise that new strains have been emerging almost from the start of the pandemic.

As for planning ahead , many nations are way beyond Thailand in regard to vaccinations given , do you think that is simply luck ?

15 hours ago, Amdesign said:

I am vaccinated by Sputnik, and many people I know. Never heard about side effects.

Regarding 'propaganda': if You go to Moscow, everything is open for many months - shops, restaurants, karaoke, public transport, etc. all businesses are open. You only have to wear mask in public transport and in enclosed public spaces. Not like in EU countries going through constant lockdowns. Why? Because vaccination is widely available, it is independent from foreign suppliers, it costs about 700Baht per jab (free for retired and social groups), government advertises vaccination widely. 2 jabs are required, 3 weeks between them. They deployed mobile vaccination centers, they are even in shopping malls...

The advantage of Russian vaccine is: does not need to be stored/transported at very low temperatures.

As to 'Slovakia issue' with Sputnik, this is dirty political games and competition. Mass media noise, no proofs. Why Russia would risk reputation to supply substandard vaccines, for what purpose??

I have no reason to think that there is anything wrong with the Sputnik vaccine.

However from what I have read Russia is lagging behind much of Europe in per capita vaccinations , do you have any data to support your claims ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Our health ministry will now urgently talk to the company importing the Sputnik V vaccine on the timeframe for delivery, the amount and price,” he said.

This would be a local company owned by........? Answers, on a postcard please, to MoH Thailand.

Wonderful how both China and Russia -- two of the most repressive and aggressive countries in the world -- so kindly agree to provide vaccines for Thailand!

Of course, there is no political or economic agenda -- they are just so pleased to help out another country -- no strings attached!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Wonderful how both China and Russia -- two of the most repressive and aggressive countries in the world -- so kindly agree to provide vaccines for Thailand!

Of course, there is no political or economic agenda -- they are just so pleased to help out another country -- no strings attached!

U kicked in a head if u think Phizer is not used as a political tool. Why do u think Slovakia, Hungary and even freaking Germany stock up Sputnik vaccine? Because they 

A. Can't get Phizer vaccine for obvious reasons( America is first, and all others are...well...u know an answer)

B. Want to secure future shippings Because such jabs are gonna be constant.

Diversify!

7 minutes ago, Paul DS said:

What a choice! Hard to know which is "best".

Still at least we know, both countries have vast experience of making viruses like Novichok nerve agents etc, were in good hands!

Haha, Another reason to be sure their medical expertise is too notch!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, boogiewoogie said:

U kicked in a head if u think Phizer is not used as a political tool. Why do u think Slovakia, Hungary and even freaking Germany stock up Sputnik vaccine? Because they 

A. Can't get Phizer vaccine for obvious reasons( America is first, and all others are...well...u know an answer)

B. Want to secure future shippings Because such jabs are gonna be constant.

Diversify!

Actually Pfizer is a German development by BioNTech who then partnered with Pfizer. Anyway Germany will be getting all it needs of this vaccine.

BioNTech Founder: We Can Get Most Germans Vaccinated by Summer's End https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/biontech-founder-we-can-get-most-germans-vaccinated-summers-end

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Actually Pfizer is a German development by BioNTech who then partnered with Pfizer. Anyway Germany will be getting all it needs of this vaccine.

BioNTech Founder: We Can Get Most Germans Vaccinated by Summer's End https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/biontech-founder-we-can-get-most-germans-vaccinated-summers-end

Oh yeah?

I wonder why they stock up Sputnik then? 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/germany-wants-buy-up-30-million-doses-sputnik-v-vaccine-2021-04-22/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Amdesign said:

I don't have to give You any 'data on phase 3 trials', anyway me or You can't interpret the results, we are not bio science experts. The experts have it and they work with it. By now Sputnik is adopted in over 60 countries.

I've read lots of phase 3 trial data reports on the BMJ, US NIH sites and others. I'm no bio-science expert but apart from the occasional use of slightly obtuse medical terminology, they're on the whole, perfectly intelligible.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

3 minutes ago, boogiewoogie said:

You fail at slang, try using polite debate?

I'm aware of the reports of the talks they had, I've also just posted for you another option they have, especially if the EU regulator does not approve Sputnik, as its all dependent on that. At the moment that is under question.

"We can confirm that all reports are treated seriously by the EMA and assessed directly," an EMA spokeswoman told EUobserver on Thursday, referring to the RosPotrebNadzor files on deaths and other complications.

"In this particular case, the report hints to the safety of the vaccine, which is a fundamental aspect to be evaluated both during the ongoing rolling review and in the assessment subsequent to the filing of a marketing authorisation application. For this reason, we cannot comment at this stage on the facts narrated in the [RosPotrebNadzor] report," she added. 

https://euobserver.com/world/151483

So as above EMA (EU regulator) needs to sort out many issues yet.

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A vaccine without any side effects is suspect. A reaction indicates that it's working. Of course nobody wants dangerous side effects.

Partly true, however, I'd suggest that not all side-effects are actually perceptible by the patient.

Examples:  When I had my 'flu shot last year, a few hours later I became a bit cold and shivery. A hot drink and a nap and all was well.  Perceptible side effect.

After my first AZ shot in February, the only after effect was the next morning I had a slightly tender arm where I'd lain on it - I don't regard that as a side-effect of the vaccine because any trauma on the skin may cause it - there were NO other visible or perceptible  effects, BUT, as a non-medical person, i have no idea whether the shot caused changes in any of my organs, blood counts, heart rates or anything else - i didn't even think to check my BP! I certainly felt quite normal.

So did it have side-effects? I have no idea, if it did, they were not perceptible ones. Am I suspicious that it's not effective? Not in the least.