Thailand reports 2,839 new coronavirus cases, 8 new deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah yes the Quote which should be on his Marker after he has died and been cremated.  A quote to haunt him for eternity to show how misguided he was and continues to be.

an absolute oxygen thief, the sooner he is removed from it, the better off the country will be.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From the government public relations department:

"The Ministry of Public Health has emphasized that the COVID-19 infection is still being found in workplaces and business establishments. It is important to refrain from gathering for activities and eating together to reduce the spread of the infections."

Screenshot_33.png.9f2808bda35ae64f190d65cf2e777e5a.png

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/posts/4197943666895682

except during Songkran or other very important events ../..

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would tend to agree with you as far as the deaths were concerned if I did not know people who had died that were healthy after being on ventilators or those suffering long term covid effects after having recovered over 6 months ago. My former partner, 50 years of age, is still relearning to walk in the states after being on a ventilator and in the hospital for 56 days.  Prior to that he worked out regularly, ate healthy and was a bull rider on the weekends at rodeos.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope there's a full recovery

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would tend to agree with you as far as the deaths were concerned if I did not know people who had died that were healthy after being on ventilators or those suffering long term covid effects after having recovered over 6 months ago. My former partner, 50 years of age, is still relearning to walk in the states after being on a ventilator and in the hospital for 56 days.  Prior to that he worked out regularly, ate healthy and was a bull rider on the weekends at rodeos.

I surely don't deny that there are cases of previously healthy people (athletes say) who have had very bad cases of Covid-19 disease, with long term recoveries. These have been well documented...but they are extremely rare. And overall coronavirus health policy can not be based on these peculiar cases. Just like the blood clot issue with the AZ and JJ vaccines...an issue but the medical authorities advise it's in society's overall health interest to continue using them despite the negative outcome for a very very small number of people. I hope your x makes a full recovery as quickly as possible. 

• Thanks 1

In terms of the rate of new cases per day increasing - the recent rapid growth in India has seen the increase in new daily cases move from around 22 per million to 204 per million in 34 days.

Thailand has a rate around 22 per million now, so it is quite easy to believe there could be 15000 new cases per day in Thailand a month from now. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Have you seen the numbers in ICU, on ventilators and in a serious condition fighting for their lives? Its all there published. Its not just about the deaths although for you it does appear so.

Every death is sad and a loss for those directly affected...but I'm focusing on overall policies for the country. I don't have to remind you but we're in a pandemic...and that's what happens...people die. From my understanding, if the condition is serious enough for mechanical ventilation it's already grave indeed. Wasn't it found after the fact that it was premature use of vents that probably actually killed a lot of people and that MDs have learned to be much more judicious in using them. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, meltonpie said:

In terms of the rate of new cases per day increasing - the recent rapid growth in India has seen the increase in new daily cases move from around 22 per million to 204 per million in 34 days.

Thailand has a rate around 22 per million now, so it is quite easy to believe there could be 15000 new cases per day in Thailand a month from now. 

Just to add a further note to my own post - the UK topped out at around 881 new cases per million per day around 10th January.  If it reached that kind of level in Thailand you would be looking at around 62,000 new cases per day!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yep. We all knowroad safety is a big issue here but you "there are more deaths on the road or more deaths from flu" guys are particularly boring. It's an arguement that has been shot down many times. Wonder how the death toll on roads compared to covid deaths or flu deaths are going in India?

My point exactly. Yes it has been shot down and now you find the comparison boring. Sad. Anyway I am fully aware of the situation in India and am also very aware of how incredibly densely populated and poverty stricken much of it is, but I am in Thailand now and simply adding my view on things here. My initial post was actually not intended to be the basis of a comparison of deaths here, but simply an observation as to how easy it appears to be for us to become blasé about daily road deaths. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Haha 1

I completely understand and agree with the new regulations regarding the wearing of masks when out in public, does that also include when driving does anyone know ? It doesn't affect me these days as I had my eyes sorted a few months back, just asking for the people who wear glasses and find them fogging up when wearing a mask.

• Haha 1

Will Thailand now close the borders, there must be quite a few who have a COE including myself, my Thai partner and son, we are due to fly from the U.K. on the 7th of May. 
I am not unduly concerned about the increased rates in Thailand as we are having a similar amount of cases in the U.K. and more deaths.

3 hours ago, pagallim said:

I said to my wife yesterday, that the full ramifications of allowing national travel during Songkran would take up to two weeks to manifest itself.   I believe it plausible that daily cases will rise to 5000/day by the end of this week with stricter measures/lockdowns being introduced.

I am afraid you are probably correct. It unlikely any measures other than a complete lockdown will have any major effect now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Every death is sad and a loss for those directly affected...but I'm focusing on overall policies for the country. I don't have to remind you but we're in a pandemic...and that's what happens...people die. From my understanding, if the condition is serious enough for mechanical ventilation it's already grave indeed. Wasn't it found after the fact that it was premature use of vents that probably actually killed a lot of people and that MDs have learned to be much more judicious in using them. 

Those policies should be a complete lockdown now to avoid further deaths and suffering.

• Like 2

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Those policies should be a complete lockdown now to avoid further deaths and suffering.

It's been pretty conclusively shown that lockdowns produce their own suffering and deaths...so again it's not so black and white; and policy makers have to weigh the choices available to them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

My point exactly. Yes it has been shot down and now you find the comparison boring. Sad. Anyway I am fully aware of the situation in India and am also very aware of how incredibly densely populated and poverty stricken much of it is, but I am in Thailand now and simply adding my view on things here. My initial post was actually not intended to be the basis of a comparison of deaths here, but simply an observation as to how easy it appears to be for us to become blasé about daily road deaths. Correct me if I am wrong.

Road deaths and covid are two different things. It's quite simple. Cancer deaths and road deaths are two different things. Suicide and gun crimes causing deaths .........etc.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jvs said:

There you have it!Last year people also travelled and nothing really happened

Travelled where pray tell.  Interprovincial travel was restricted, we had curfews, and Songkran was canceled in it's entirety. How could you have missed that event, as many on here are now comparing what caused this spread versus last year because of not Canceling the Songkran holiday and travel.  Sorry if my post seems over the top and negative.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

This has been a conundrum throughout the pandemic...how to distinguish and thus count Covid deaths in people with pre-existing serious medical conditions or just plain advanced age. One can make the argument that but for contracting the coronavirus the 99 year old lady in the nursing would have lived another 2 weeks...or the morbidly obese 45 year old with hypertension, diabetes, and liver failure would have lived 6 more months if he hadn't caught the virus but who really knows. In any case, what we do know is that elderly people in general, the sick elderly, and the medically vulnerable at any age are at significantly increased risk if they contract the virus. For others, the risk of serious health consequences from virus exposure are is minimal. I think the details provided above concerning yesterday's deaths bare this out.

Maybe you should do some research on how many years on average a person who died from Covid would have lived for if not infected. And that number is increasing as more and more healthy young people succumb to the virus. 
many people people with underlying issues can have reasonable life expectancy with ongoing support and treatment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's been pretty conclusively shown that lockdowns produce their own suffering and deaths...so again it's not so black and white; and policy makers have to weigh the choices available to them.

Correct, there is no black and white with this virus, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.  I wish there was a true middle ground Grey Area, that would appease everyone and keep the cases at a minimum and the deaths at near zero.  I have no clue how to get there unless we test everyone like elsewhere and then retest again and again.  My son gets tested twice monthly even though he has been vaccinated because of his position and the job he holds.  I think the guys who are working on the oilrigs and such are also getting tested routinely in order to keep the platforms up and running.  Schools in the US have reopened, and they are testing the teachers and staff regularly as well.  Are infections dropping because of this or not, only time will tell, but it is one way that places have been able to open up and have a return to what they call the new normal.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I was a bit of a sceptic until a Swedish mate and his family got it.He was a fit bloke  cross county skier etc.He ended up inintensive care for weeks and is still rehabilitating months after.But his missus was only sick for a couple of weeks and his son a few days .

Edited by findlay13
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Travelled where pray tell.  Interprovincial travel was restricted, we had curfews, and Songkran was canceled in it's entirety. How could you have missed that event, as many on here are now comparing what caused this spread versus last year because of not Canceling the Songkran holiday and travel.  Sorry if my post seems over the top and negative.

I know of a lot of people who travelled,restricted yes,how many times i have heard Thai

people  bypassing a roadblock?Many!

Have you missed the events that led up to the latest outbreaks?

Mostly entitled people breaking the rules and the poor will now pay for it!

I have no problem with what you posted,stay safe!

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about someone's death from anecdotal reports on social media.

Just as believable as much from official Thai sources!

Seems to me that all information emanating in Thailand  is only suggestive and available for speculation only.

19 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Just curious, are you involved with a business that would be particularly impacted by a lockdown?

• Like 1