Thailand reports 2,839 new coronavirus cases, 8 new deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

Per Khaosod English:

"After saying that the country is going to run out of ICU beds yesterday, [Ministry of Public Health spokesman] Taweesin is now saying that the country still has 3,204 ICU beds left nationwide, 69 of which are in Bangkok. He did not explain the sudden increase in the number of vacant beds reported."

Nationwide:

Screenshot_18.jpg.28be680978e281e34ad765e966bf6bbf.jpg

Bangkok:

Screenshot_19.jpg.3c92395d54c2f68e0e27fc6fdb322517.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/4257803517571881

This is the second death of a person with covid reported after waiting at home because of no test availability & hospital beds.

"Concerning case of Covid death in Thailand. A young man who posted 6 days ago that he had self-quarantined for 5 days; could not get a Covid test and nor get connected to Covid hotline. 3 days ago he was still live on social media: 2 days ago in ICU. He died last night. RIP"

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1385830698733346817

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Sad 6

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Per Khaosod English:

"After saying that the country is going to run out of ICU beds yesterday, [Ministry of Public Health spokesman] Taweesin is now saying that the country still has 3,204 ICU beds left nationwide, 69 of which are in Bangkok. He did not explain the sudden increase in the number of vacant beds reported."

Nationwide:

Bangkok:

The new ICU beds have just magically appeared, and with it more negative pressure rooms one could only hope.

23 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I'm interested in leaving the country and returning to the USA, but it's too risky to get tested during this surge if you don't have any Covid symptoms and don't need care. I am asymptomatic and probably don't have it, but there is still a risk I'd test positive. Rather than boarding my flight I'll be sent to some type of hospital or quarantine. It might not be the vast ruinous field hospital beds but even being locked in a hotel for a few weeks does not seem worth the risk. I'm going to wait til this dies down which might take a few months and then get tested and leave. Thailand is not a bad place to be stuck but enough is enough and I'd rather wait this out in America where I could get vaccinated and have at least a semi competent government controlling the pandemic now.

Call and talk to the hospital/clinic about getting two tests, maybe at two places or times?  The chance that both are false positive is very small.  But confirm you will not be quarantined with just one positive out of two.

The issue of false positives is being widely discussed in Thailand at the moment.

Edited by rabas

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Per Khaosod English:

Nationwide:

Bangkok:

Even more worrying that they have the inability to count, or the lack of knowledge on how many spare ICU beds there are

Pathetic. 

In many instances  for Thai's it comes down to  proper Hygiene imop!

Washing hands frequently for 20 seconds each time(soap or Alcohol) !

Properly cover up Coughing and sneezing  !

Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces !

Social distancing !

I think this  third  wave will require strict adherence  to the 

mitigation suggestions, put out by the medical community !

Judging by the steady increase in positive cases everyday

it makes me very very concerned people are for the most part ignoring the advise  !

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is the second death of a person with covid reported after waiting at home because of no test availability & hospital beds.

"Concerning case of Covid death in Thailand. A young man who posted 6 days ago that he had self-quarantined for 5 days; could not get a Covid test and nor get connected to Covid hotline. 3 days ago he was still live on social media: 2 days ago in ICU. He died last night. RIP"

Just the start possibly, but I would hope they get the situation remedied or we may soon find ourselves in a predicament like that the UK and others found themselves in when it rolled on through their countries.  Stay safe folks

• Like 2

22nd 7 deaths 1 serious/critical: 23rd 4 deaths 1 serious/critical: 24th 8 deaths 1 serious/critical? 19 deaths but none were serious/critical before they died? Did they feel fine 1 minute then drop dead the next?

My medical knowledge is limited to opening a strip of paracetamol so I would assume the 1 serious/critical is in hospital but where did the 19 deaths occur which proceeding their deaths was not deemed serious/critical?

• Like 1

So what now then? If there's ever a time for more restrictions, it's probably now. When they let Songkran go ahead, the tighter restrictions should probably have come into play right after the holiday not a week or two later.

Edited by ChomDo

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm not sure what part of Thailand you are but where I am the local Thai's are taking this very seriously and carrying out all precautions available to them, aside from the odd idiots but you get them everywhere in the world.

What should concern you more is the lack of action from the government to contain this. Its their fault we are in the mess not local Thai's.

It's my opinion that it all starts with the population!

This Gov didn't  spread the virus from China ,people did!

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Help for Thai ex-Esport player’s COVID-19 infection arrives too late

"A former Esport player who, via Facebook livestream, told of his sufferings from suspected COVID-19 infection, during his five-day self–isolation at home, before he was finally taken to a hospital, died on Friday night.

The victim, Mr. Kunlasup Wattnaphon, said, during the undated livestream, that he was already in bad shape, unable to drive a car and reluctant to take a taxi, for fear of infecting other people.

Due to his severe lung infection, he said he was given oxygen, but his condition did not improve. Additionally, because he was obese, he was sent to an intensive care unit, where he was not allowed to keep his smart phone....The roommate, who was not identified, later said that Kunlasup passed away at 22.22 hours on Friday night after doctors tried, unsuccessfully, to resuscitate him."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/help-for-thai-ex-esport-players-covid-19-infection-arrives-too-late/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thailand needs to get the vaccines here asap so EVERYONE can be inoculated. if i can get here from the UK within 24 hrs. so can the vaccines. as i type this my girlfriend  has gone for her 2nd shot .but the foreigners    are told cannot cannot   

• Like 1

Daily Ministry of Public Health update on international and regional country comparisons ranked by total numbers of reported COVID cases. Even with today's surge of reported new local cases, Thailand continues to rank 105th in the world for total COVID cases since the start of the pandemic.

Screenshot_31.jpg.f7c5d661808f0990ffedc74b8bfce52c.jpg

Screenshot_30.jpg.bcd23d273f22e2ae8c580111304f7902.jpg

4 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Does anyone else find it impossible to believe that an outbreak of this magnitude that has supposedly spread so rapidly could of possible come from a single nightclub cluster barely 30 days ago? This seems impossible and I am truly amazed that people are buying this scapegoat excuse.

How can the truth be anything other than that this is an extension of the December outbreak in Samut Sakorn and other areas. They did very little testing, had no idea of the true extent of that outbreak and claimed that it was under control.

What we are seeing now is like the boy with his finger in the dam..the severity of the outbreak dating back to December could absolutely no Longer be swept under the rug and this is the result of the lack of testing consequently not undertansdong the extent of the spread and taking action back then.

Am I wrong? Can someone explain how this could of possibly spread so far so quickly. It’s just impossible especially when you consider that the real number of cases is probably 10 times what is now reported.

Not just believable, but true.

The two separate outbreaks from December and April 1 were caused by two completely different virus strains with different genomes. Almost all current cases are from the UK B.1.1.7 variant that came in from Cambodia.  It's a much more infectious strain, as you can see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That prediction came true in spades on Saturday, as Thailand for a second straight day set a new record reporting 2,839 new COVID cases, a whopping 37% increase over the prior day’s record 2,070 tally.

2070 cases yesterday was a record...really...so as you say two days of record cases? The daily numbers jump up and down due to the logistics of testing and reporting. Did you also comment on Friday's numbers being down 25% from Thursday's? We are still in the aftermath of the Songkran travel and socializing bubble and we really won't know where the numbers will trend until the last days of the month and the first few days of May. 

22 minutes ago, retsdon said:

Given that there is no upside but only considerable downside to getting tested  it's a racing certainly that these numbers are a fraction of the true figures.

With all the underemployed and underemployed Thais...you don't think many would jump at taking the chance for 2 weeks of "three hots and a cot"  for 2 weeks free?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

The horse has well and truly bolted. 

Multiply that figure by x 10 at the very least.

From anecdotal reports that have come to me it is out of contriol in certain areas.

ICU beds unavailable in Surin town apparently.

Can anybody confirm or otherwise?

Prayut needs stringing up!! Now.

• Like 1