Thailand reports 2,839 new coronavirus cases, 8 new deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai Ministry of Public Health posted a Thai language version of this chart tracking the volume of total confirmed daily NEW COVID cases being reported around the world since the beginning of the pandemic -- now at record highs: From 358,000 in late February to now more than 800,000 per day. And surpassing the prior peak from mid-January.

Screenshot_23.jpg.4a789306463486e5c9e5d6c55fd090b9.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases

https://www.facebook.com/fanmoph/photos/a.769525979740426/6115941345098836/

Much of the recent rise has been driven by an explosion of cases in India. Per Johns Hopkins:

"On April 21, India became only the second country to report more than 300,000 new cases in a single day, after the US. India has reported more than 300,000 new cases on 2 consecutive days, including a record high 332,921 new cases on April 22.

The global daily incidence is already setting new records, and daily mortality is on track to surpass its previous high as well. While the global trends in daily incidence are largely driven by India’s ongoing surge, this is slightly less the case for mortality."

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I was driving and stopped at a police checkpoint in Phuket yesterday, checked the normal things, licence, tax, realized all was ok, then looked at me, pointed at my face with no mask on and gave me a warning to put it on immediately.

I'm not anti mask at all, there's been a 20,000 baht fine in Phuket for not wearing one for over a year now so its become a way of life when going to shops etc, but in the car alone driving..LOL

Our province started the 20000 bhat fine I've been wearing a mask around other people since this started last year 

1 minute ago, GeorgeEboy said:

Was it just a matter of time for countries like Thailand who initially were unscathed by the virus to finally have it spread? No one can predict what the outcome will be just as it was in every other country ravaged by the disease. It seems that the only thing that has truly reduced the spread is vaccinations.

In tandem with lockdowns to curb the worst of the outbreak then easing off as the larger percentage of vaccinations are administered, similar to Israel and the UK

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I was driving and stopped at a police checkpoint in Phuket yesterday, checked the normal things, licence, tax, realized all was ok, then looked at me, pointed at my face with no mask on and gave me a warning to put it on immediately.

I'm not anti mask at all, there's been a 20,000 baht fine in Phuket for not wearing one for over a year now so its become a way of life when going to shops etc, but in the car alone driving..LOL

It's possible the authorities there are considering driving in your car to being "out in public."

Screenshot_25.jpg.0ab812eeb949c1468ec2f066ef4aca7a.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Your link brings up a chart showing huge drops in new cases in the US since vaccinations began. There was a tiny increase in new infections over the last 4 weeks, due to governors re-opening their states prematurely.

Last week, the number of new cases dropped.

Vaccinations work to limit new infections.

And further, and probably more importantly, look at the hospitalization and death trend lines for the U.S. in the same Reuters source he cited. That looks like good news overall, as long as they don't let up and get lax.

The bad news is, the levels of cases, deaths and hospitalizations thus far really haven't gone below the non-peak levels from earlier periods in the pandemic. And to be truthful, are still at higher levels than they should be.

Screenshot_33.jpg.9ad2ad40aafc2d3350cfab739f8668c6.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Your link brings up a chart showing huge drops in new cases in the US since vaccinations began. There was a tiny increase in new infections over the last 4 weeks, due to governors re-opening their states prematurely.

Last week, the number of new cases dropped.

Vaccinations work to limit new infections.

Well if you call a 30% rise tiny, then yeah. What I call tiny is the 0.4% fall last week.

New cases of COVID-19 in the United States fell 0.4% last week after rising for four weeks in a row, according to a Reuters analysis of state and county data.

Health experts say new cases have plateaued at a high level as more infectious variants of the virus offset progress made in vaccinations. The country logged nearly 70,000 new cases per day in the week ended April 18, compared with 55,000 new cases a day in March

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

Well if you call a 30% rise tiny, then yeah. What I call tiny is the 0.4% fall last week.

New cases of COVID-19 in the United States fell 0.4% last week after rising for four weeks in a row, according to a Reuters analysis of state and county data.

Health experts say new cases have plateaued at a high level as more infectious variants of the virus offset progress made in vaccinations. The country logged nearly 70,000 new cases per day in the week ended April 18, compared with 55,000 new cases a day in March

You are making my case for me. The brief increase was +15,000 new cases a day. Prior to vaccinations, we were near 300,000 new cases a day. 

Same with Israel, prior to vaccinations, they were having +5,000 new cases a day. Now they are down to 100 or so. But, some days, they will bump up to 180 new cases. That doesn’t mean vaccinations are a failure, it means they haven’t vaccinated everyone yet.

But, what is your point here?

Edited by Danderman123

Ministry of Public Health officials on Saturday released a new status report on the availability of hospital beds in the capital province, showing the region running very low on available airborne isolation unit beds among those most needed for treating infectious COVID patients.

A ministry spokesman somewhat backed off prior comments made a day earlier, saying Saturday that Bangkok now probably had enough ICU beds to handle incoming new patients for the coming 10 days, with the ICU beds supply nationwide enough for about 20 more days.

Ministry data as of Saturday said Thailand had 418 COVID patients around the country in serious condition, an apparent reference to those requiring ICU beds, and a number that has almost doubled over the past five days, with more increases expected in the coming days.

Screenshot_28.jpg.aac02750b0eb7c7a7e0ebf321fdab4a8.jpg

The ministry also posted a comparable report for the nation as a whole, in general showing more availability/lower occupancy rates compared to Bangkok. Bangkok has an overall hospital bed occupancy rate right now exceeding two thirds, while the national rate was reported as being less than half.

783118997_HospitalBedsreportfornation04-22-21.jpg.43560a4ed73f8f9ef69bd6e0b9ebdc73.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

It helps when you have a small population and are far away on an island.

Available resources are relevant to population size and all countries weather an island or not have the ability to close their boarders by both air and land if they chose to do so. So both of your point are moot. The Uk a wealthy country with massive resources and an island is a good case point in the failure in this regard. 

police did a big photo shoot in pattaya  tonight on soi buakhao

what an insult

anyone can guess the motive behind this nonsense 

the dirty farang  is spreading covid 

and yet pretty much all covid detections in Chonburi are Thai  - various Thai clubs still open across Pattaya 

shameful 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, smedly said:

and yet pretty much all covid detections in Chonburi are Thai  - various Thai clubs still open across Pattaya 

Since mid April, the government supposedly has a nationwide order closing all bars, pubs and nightclub type venues. Did Pattaya gain a secret exemption somehow?  ????

479437166_ClosuresMidApril1.jpg.276dfe9a36083fa14d1aa819c2317e9a.jpg

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Latest restrictions announced for Bangkok and coming into force on 26th specifically say you even need to wear a mask of driving alone in a car.

No logic to half the measures announced today -  but looking at what's happening in India, the other half makes sense.

• Like 2

Several reports on-line about BMA Announcement about restrictions in Bangkok to start on 26th:

Theaters, cinemas, cultural theaters,

Water parks, Zoos

Places to skate, skateparks, surf skating fields, etc.

Snooker and pool halls

Bowling venues

Gaming cafes, Internet cafes

Public Swimming Pools

Fitness centers/gyms

Exhibition venues, exhibition centers, convention centers

Museums

Public Libraries

Nurseries

Boxing Stadium, Boxing Schools

School of Martial Arts

Tattoo shops

Dance Schools

Racetracks

Amulet markets

Beauty Clinics, beauty parlors, etc. (Barbers can open for a haircut only no waiting inside)

Thai massage places of all types including traditional

All types of playing fields for hobbies

Theatrical venues where people gather

Meeting rooms, conference rooms, banquet rooms

Department stores, shopping centers can be opened from 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM

Sports fields

Public Parks

Convenience stores can be opened from 05.00-22.00.

No parties, camps, filming for movies is allowed with large groups. TV shows, religious activities

Religious practices, or meeting up to 20 relatives is allowed with precautions.

Masks must be worn at all times when out of your home.

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Death occurring fairly quickly for those reported it seems. Within days to just a week or so. No lingering on ventilators.

It happens, its a terrible disease. Family member had it, was quite bad, at home, seemed to be improving slightly, 12 hrs later gone. Went downhill in space of 4-5hrs, didn't even make it to hospital.

• Sad 3

51 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

It happens, its a terrible disease. Family member had it, was quite bad, at home, seemed to be improving slightly, 12 hrs later gone. Went downhill in space of 4-5hrs, didn't even make it to hospital.

Did their death make the official statistics? 

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Assuming you are in Pattaya, and are not vaccinated, you are at great risk in the coming days from the rapidly spreading epidemic. Chonburi claimed they would test 1,000 people a day randomly, but the reality is that they don’t test even 250. Despite that low number, over 100 new cases are discovered each day, most from walk-ins with symptoms.  That implies a very high positivity rate in Chonburi, with new infections coming mostly in Pattaya.

Time to batten down the hatches and prepare for a storm.

And hope they lock down soon.

I'm in Phuket...the government reported 10 cases here yesterday. 

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The totality of everything is important and transparency is needed for a true count of the testing numbers, the amounts testing positive, the amount of time it is taking from test to verification to confirm the # positive, and the true number of deaths.  Are the Viral pneumonia cases Covid, or just plain old pneumonia.  Are they because of the poor PM 2.5.  Are they testing those to determine if they had covid or because, like the e-sport player who just dies, is it because they did not get them to a hospital soon enough before they died and therefore do not want to test and add them to the figures if, and I say if they were covid related.  All of course pure speculation.  However, this Government did not do themselves any favors, in my eyes and a few others, when they locked of portions of the MOPH data base last year to withhold certain numbers in certain categories.  I think it was done to show they had a true handle on things and it appeared they did, but then this is where I get on my testing montage soap box.  I know we do not agree on this however, I see it as having a direct correlation to obtaining a true picture instead of a partial picture.

I am no epidemiologist or statistician but I do think it would be interesting if say the govt did take a valid measurement of the prevalence of virus infection countrywide. Test say 5000 people (or whatever is statistically necessary in Thailand's 65M population) on the same day randomly chosen throughout the country to see the infection rate. Has this ever been done...can it be done logisticlly I don't know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

It’s impossible to know the likelihood of further increases without expanded testing. So, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe this is the peak, maybe this is just the start.

But, it’s clear that whatever measures have been taken so far are not enough.

And, it’s likely that harsher measures are coming.

I don't think we know yet as the lockdown lite has only been in effect about a week (since after Songkran...and we are still seeing the Songkran bulge in cases. We'll know more by May 1.

• Like 1