Thailand reports 2,839 new coronavirus cases, 8 new deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

No backtracking there then....????

I've already said it several times, if the numbers don't show a substantial  and sustained trend of fewer daily cases by around May 1, it would warrant tighter control measures (including a 2-4 week hard lockdown [like last April/May]). We all want the country to get the cases back down. 

31 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Thailand has barely 100 so the contexts are very different. I'd also challenge you on New York's handling of the virus that's for another thread.

Excess deaths running at 17% or so for March, slightly more than what we're told officially I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Thailand's?  It may be but the actual numbers are still quite small.

The totality of everything is important and transparency is needed for a true count of the testing numbers, the amounts testing positive, the amount of time it is taking from test to verification to confirm the # positive, and the true number of deaths.  Are the Viral pneumonia cases Covid, or just plain old pneumonia.  Are they because of the poor PM 2.5.  Are they testing those to determine if they had covid or because, like the e-sport player who just dies, is it because they did not get them to a hospital soon enough before they died and therefore do not want to test and add them to the figures if, and I say if they were covid related.  All of course pure speculation.  However, this Government did not do themselves any favors, in my eyes and a few others, when they locked of portions of the MOPH data base last year to withhold certain numbers in certain categories.  I think it was done to show they had a true handle on things and it appeared they did, but then this is where I get on my testing montage soap box.  I know we do not agree on this however, I see it as having a direct correlation to obtaining a true picture instead of a partial picture.

1 hour ago, Marvin Hagler said:

How do those calculations work in terms of geographical distribution of cases please? What distance is assumed between reported cases? 

Could you have the first case in Bangkok and then say for example 28,000 cases in Chang Mai with nothing in between? Your calculation suggests this would be entirely feasible as it just takes 2 numbers and multiplies them without any other factors taken into account such as geography and case distribution.

I deleted the quote your replying to : that number of about 26624 cases I got from 26(2^10) would be the new cases on April 30 not the total so it was incorrect. That graph does not seem exponential.  . https://medium.com/@FreisinnigeZtg/quadratic-versus-exponential-population-growth-again-85df9aac2f06#:~:text=Quadratic growth means that there,the second derivative (acceleration).

I have just been told that BKK covid patients are spilling over into a neighboring province. This I guess means the spill is into other neighbouring provinces. The one I'm talking about the hospitals are bulging at the seams. The numbers we are being given doesn't suggest this. About 10 more days of oxygen at this rate I'm told. Some on here will say how do you know others on here know I have been here nearly 2 decades. 

Edited by dinsdale

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

He seems to forget that the US started with 100 once. Relative to Thailand's population size we are on the curve going up fast.

In fact, the USA started with just 1 - direct from Wuhan(the same as Thailand) The next number I read was 11, then 15.

• Like 1

Like in other countries:

Deaths mostly among the elderly or among people with underlying health conditions. 

The main question is how could a party start this wave when there was no domestic Covid prior. You need at least 1 domestic carrier at this party- how did the person get infected?

Maybe the fact that only people with symptoms were tested in the past as positive results got everyone admitted into a hospital- even without being sick.

Now more testing = more cases. The same result in every country as the majority of carriers is not sick in the traditional sense.

Also shows that sadly lockdowns are not the answer to the problem - unless they are permanent and absolutely strict. Any easing will cause an outbreak eventually. 

This virus will run its course until.. like the Spanish Flu lasted more than 2 years. As we are flattening the curve, Covid will last longer than the 3 years without a strong vaccination effort (see Israel, 0 deaths yesterday and cases dropping steadily as 61% are vaccinated)

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I runs deeper than that. Who the hell wants to be locked in a field prison, sorry hospital, sleeping on a cardboard box with no aircon or fan for two weeks and be charged 100,000k for the privilege?

They should screen everyone with questions, i.e. the ones with milder cases should be sent home, but not before asking; do you live alone, can you have family or friends deliver food to your door, take these tablets 1,2,3, a day at such and such hour and self quarantine for 14 days. If your symptoms get worse, come back to the hospital, if you feel better, keep taking the medicines and keep self quarantining for the full 14 days, when the self quarantining is over come back and see us so we can do further tests.

That should free up hospital beds, although they can't be 100% certain that they won't self quarantine, they really don't have a choice, lets not forget there are others out there with it that aren't going to the hospital, and won't till lastminute.com 

• Like 2

Why are people so worried about the amount of covid cases?

The only numbers that should matter are the survival and death rates.

We are almost at 54,000 cases of covid BUT look at the survival rate it's averaging at 99.6% and the death rate is LESS THAN 0.5 % 

What is all the fuss about???

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

6AB5CC64-6B22-478F-83A6-0797BA4D5CA5.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

Why are people so worried about the amount of covid cases?

The only numbers that should matter are the survival and death rates.

We are almost at 54,000 cases of covid BUT look at the survival rate it's averaging at 99.6% and the death rate is LESS THAN 0.5 % 

What is all the fuss about???

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

6AB5CC64-6B22-478F-83A6-0797BA4D5CA5.jpeg

If you had been taking any notice through out the pandemic you would now know that deaths start increasing about 4-5 weeks after a spike in cases. The fact that people are already dying from the current spike is a concern and probably demonstrates poor medical intervention on the part of the Thailand medical establishment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, orang37 said:

image.thumb.png.1b226b7b212bd7df12d0c15e705af67a.pngconsider:

1. a finite supply of resources: money, hospitals, beds, oxygen, vaccine, testing equipment, medical personnel, personnel for airport/border/immigration enforcement, monitoring,  etc.

2. a virus capable of mutating

3. a country where more contagious/deadly strains of the virus have, so far, been able to arrive and flourish.

4. in the context of already substantial economic damage, a fragmented political system where the government/old aristocracy/big-business complex resists change that could affect political sentiment, tourism, import-export, local economy, and "face."

5. mass-media available country wide as yet not subject to total censorship.

As a new outbreak is widely reported, imagine these factors changing with multiple feedback loops, converging on some new "center of gravity."

Now, pick your poison from the chart above. Imagine the relatively smooth line conceals many data points that swarm around the line ... and some outliers far from the line.

And, now, keep believing what you already believe ????

~o:37;

OK.

But, your software can also plot points, right? So just plot 'serious cases' in hospital for the last 2 weeks. You can find the data HERE, except for the last couple of days. you can get the recent points from TV, or the twitter/facebook links from TV.

Then all will be revealed for all to see.

1 hour ago, Miami007 said:

Like in other countries:

Deaths mostly among the elderly or among people with underlying health conditions. 

The main question is how could a party start this wave when there was no domestic Covid prior. You need at least 1 domestic carrier at this party- how did the person get infected?

Maybe the fact that only people with symptoms were tested in the past as positive results got everyone admitted into a hospital- even without being sick.

Now more testing = more cases. The same result in every country as the majority of carriers is not sick in the traditional sense.

Also shows that sadly lockdowns are not the answer to the problem - unless they are permanent and absolutely strict. Any easing will cause an outbreak eventually. 

This virus will run its course until.. like the Spanish Flu lasted more than 2 years. As we are flattening the curve, Covid will last longer than the 3 years without a strong vaccination effort (see Israel, 0 deaths yesterday and cases dropping steadily as 61% are vaccinated)

And that's it for me.  At a certain point the unintelligent are just too exhausting to deal with and it feels like you're watching Idiocracy on repeat

Best of luck to everyone here (even those who would happily bring on the destruction to the country as long as it means they don't have to use science, logic or admit they were wrong)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Taswegian23 said:

Predicted by many, poo-poo'd by the government. Not looking so good for Prayuth, despite what nonsensical press releases come out about electric cars and other non-relevant topics.

But since he is an unelected pm that used the military to take over it don't matter if it looks good or not 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

They should screen everyone with questions, i.e. the ones with milder cases should be sent home, but not before asking; do you live alone, can you have family or friends deliver food to your door, take these tablets 1,2,3, a day at such and such hour and self quarantine for 14 days. If your symptoms get worse, come back to the hospital, if you feel better, keep taking the medicines and keep self quarantining for the full 14 days, when the self quarantining is over come back and see us so we can do further tests.

That should free up hospital beds, although they can't be 100% certain that they won't self quarantine, they really don't have a choice, lets not forget there are others out there with it that aren't going to the hospital, and won't till lastminute.com 

That's what the hiso's wanted to do but they were threatened with arrest 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I runs deeper than that. Who the hell wants to be locked in a field prison, sorry hospital, sleeping on a cardboard box with no aircon or fan for two weeks and be charged 100,000k for the privilege? 

Your statement is the understatement of the century.

Can you imagine being a-symptomatic, happy as a lark sitting in that hole with people puking, gasping, all around you and for what?  When you could be at home safely self-isolated and fine waiting it out?  

I would never get tested in Thailand.  And to say that the general population is thinking the same thing.  

41 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Your statement is the understatement of the century.

Can you imagine being a-symptomatic, happy as a lark sitting in that hole with people puking, gasping, all around you and for what?  When you could be at home safely self-isolated and fine waiting it out?  

I would never get tested in Thailand.  And to say that the general population is thinking the same thing.  

Field hospitals are for asymptomatic cases.

2 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Like in other countries:

So you belong to the “let them die” philosophy.

You don’t seem to understand that the more infections spread, the greater the chances of more lethal mutations. The virus doesn’t care if greater spread is hidden by lack of testing. Look at Brazil as an example of a country that doesn’t test much, and didn’t lock down. Now there is a mutation that is more deadly, and is reinfecting people who survived an earlier infection.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

So maybe we can stop impuning the motives of member's posts (I never have but others have of mine) and accept that we all want what's best for Thailand and the people who reside and visit here but that we have reasonable differences on how best to achieve this.

To which variant are you referring...I'm aware that some are more transmissible and therefore may infect more people causing more deaths but not that the virus itself is more deadly.

While there definitely is a sub-set of covid patients who suffer long term sometimes serious effects from their virus infection, I have read nothing that says these are nothing but a very small subset of the subset of patients who require hospitalization. Of course these are personal tragedies but I don't think governments can implement policies to primarily protect these people at the expense of the population at large. (That's why they've all endorsed continued use of the AZ and JJ vaccines despite miniscule blood clot risks.)

At the current time, I still favor the "lockdown lite" approach current in place. If cases rise substantially over the next week or so my position certainly could change.

Assuming you are in Pattaya, and are not vaccinated, you are at great risk in the coming days from the rapidly spreading epidemic. Chonburi claimed they would test 1,000 people a day randomly, but the reality is that they don’t test even 250. Despite that low number, over 100 new cases are discovered each day, most from walk-ins with symptoms.  That implies a very high positivity rate in Chonburi, with new infections coming mostly in Pattaya.

Time to batten down the hatches and prepare for a storm.

And hope they lock down soon.

• Thanks 1

"The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Saturday announced that all people in Bangkok must wear a face mask in public spaces, violators of this order will be punished.

Furthermore, BMA has ordered a temporary closure of places in Bangkok including cinemas, water parks, amusement parks, zoos, skating areas, game centres, snooker clubs, fitness clubs, museums, boxing stadiums, tattoo and piercing shops, race courses, amulet markets, beauty clinics, Thai massage shops, and banquet halls.

No events with more than 20 people allowed. The order will be effective for 14 days from April 26."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157971188322050

So looks like fitness centers and Thai massage shops in BKK are now out of business for the time being, above and beyond the prior and ongoing entertainment venue closures affecting bars, pubs, nightclubs, soapy massages, karaoke, etc. Libraries are on the BKK closure list as well.

Bangkok also appears to be reinstituting a rule they had sometime back requiring sit-down restaurants to either separate diners with dividers or maintain two meters distance between them.

https://www.facebook.com/prbangkok/posts/3427860370646893

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thailand’s provincial governors to be allowed to impose curfews to control COVID-19

Provincial governors will be given the powers to impose tougher measures, including targeted curfews, to contain the spread of COVID-19 infections, under new guidelines to be issued by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

According to the prime minister’s Facebook page, the new guidelines also cover management of hospital beds, to make sure that all those infected with COVID-19 can get treatment, screening of the infected to determine whether they should be sent to a general hospital, a field hospital or a “hospitel” and recruitment of volunteers to help handle the increasing number of hotline calls.

The use of field hospitals as the centres for triage will help ease the workload at general hospitals, so medics can focus on treating serious cases. Another option being considered is the reduction of the in-hospital quarantine period, for asymptomatic cases, from 14 to 10 days, with the remaining four days to be spent on self-isolation at home.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-provincial-governors-to-be-allowed-to-impose-curfews-to-control-covid-19/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I've already said it several times, if the numbers don't show a substantial  and sustained trend of fewer daily cases by around May 1, it would warrant tighter control measures (including a 2-4 week hard lockdown [like last April/May]). We all want the country to get the cases back down. 

It’s impossible to know the likelihood of further increases without expanded testing. So, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe this is the peak, maybe this is just the start.

But, it’s clear that whatever measures have been taken so far are not enough.

And, it’s likely that harsher measures are coming.

• Like 1