Retiree =? XXX Tourists (Where are they anyway)?

16 hours ago, glegolo said:

OP if you never "settle down",,,, the grass will always be greener elsewhere

glegolo

I form the view reading on TV in recent times  that "Settle Down" formal  invitations are only available elsewhere, though I would not say there is any greener grass there ???? 

Settle down mode increasingly perhaps appears to be a thought of years past ????

Development of compulsory insurance criteria, and other random events, make me also worry they could contrive to disrupt any "settle down" themed  plans. Especially if commitments elsewhere dictate an inability to stay in Thailand continuously...????

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If the worse happens & I cannot afford compulsory Health insurance (UK pensioner) could I settle long-term in Spain after Brexit?

Wonder what the insurance requirements are in Vietnam.

Spain and Thailand I assume similar cost of living?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, UKresonant said:

I form the view reading on TV in recent times  that "Settle Down" formal  invitations are only available elsewhere, though I would not say there is any greener grass there ???? 

Settle down mode increasingly perhaps appears to be a thought of years past ????

I do hope you understand the concept of the words "settle down", just throwing up words doesn´t show that unfortunately at all...

glegolo

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That also means that you have no insurance and never been in accident with serious harm/death to others.

For someone living here for 11 years very foolish. Bit ridiculous actually.

Why does it mean he has no insurance??,, its the vehicle thats insured  not the driver /rider, i have insurance  on a car, and bike,  i have never had to show  a licence to get any insurance     ,i have also been involved in accidents x3  being hit from my rear,  police were called, but no body ever had to produce licences...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Solutions to avoid health insurance on retirement extension:

1. Leave Thailand; return visa exempt; apply for conversion Non O visa for the purpose of retirement; do retirement extensions. At the current time, none of this requires health insurance. It is possible that health insurance could become a requirement in the future. The Thai way is to worry about that if it happens.
  2. Alternatively, make use of the agent system to get your extensions with the health insurance requirement waived.

If you like Thailand, one of the above options should be acceptable.

There are policies that suit the immigration  requirement but are cheap because they have enormous excess. Is a pointless insurance policy but will satisfy immigration. Peter Denis has posted about them before.

• Thanks 1