PM appointed Thailand’s “COVID Czar” in sole charge of handling the pandemic

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

designated Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha as the sole authority in charge of all responsibilities and duties,

what's new here, hasn't he be the one in charge/sole authority from the day he took over with his military coup,  his health minister (on another post) just confirmed it

The Public Health Minister  said..... "as the Prime Minister himself has always been the leader in his role as head of government, the executive head of the country, and head of the CCSA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai cabinet today (Tuesday) designated Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha as the sole authority in charge of all responsibilities and duties, previously vested in his ministers, to deal with the current COVID-19 pandemic.

We should look how history turned out for those who thought they were invincible like General Custer... we could re-name him General Cluster!!   

• Haha 2

He thinks COVID is a National Security issue. When in fact it is a  social health issue. And if you cannot even identify the problem correctly, then you are pretty much guaranteed to come up with the incorrect solution. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the cabinet, the concentration of powers with the prime minister is to ensure efficiency in the efforts to deal with the disease. The laws include the Communicable Disease Act, the Drugs Act, the Navigation in Thai Waters Act, the Air Travel Act, the Land Traffic Act, the Armaments Act, the Medical Equipment Act, the Immigration Act, the Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act, the Poisonous Substances Act and the National Health Security Act, among others.

No shooting students act, was this an oversight?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

Here's a thought. Vaccinate your people!!!

I think that is exacty why he has made himself the Covid Czar - Now vaccines can be produced in Thailand he wants all the credit for rolling them out to the people. A benevolent, merciful and wise leader is the image he wishes to cultivate. 

6 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Great News !! Since the PM solved at the stroke of his military swizzle stick the 80 baht lottery price, this covid stuff should be a breeze for him.

He can't even enforce that, try and get a ticket for 80 baht today!

If you can, basically, tell everyone to appoint you as czar, doesn’t that mean that previously you were czar anyway in all but name.

from a policy standpoint, it will be interesting to see if the new czar is more on the side of relaxing restrictions, or tightening them. Presumably it won’t be status quo or else there was no point making the change.

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Despite all the ribald posts, it appears to be an administrative step to consolidate handling and approval of various virus/Covid measures in one place, the Prime Minister's office and not the myriad of state agencies mentioned. It's not like the PM will actually be making the decisions, which will likely still be made by the relevant agencies and approved and communicated from Government House.

good observation !
At least we will be spared the deluge of diverging opinions from a too large number of people wanting to be in charge, and two minutes of media attention.
Common Sense, based on Statistics and Expert opinions, and willingness to take the right decisions should support the efforts to contain and pre-empt outbreaks, and accelerate the inoculation program for the population.

• Like 1

Yeah,  just what we need a co-ordinated response like what this...........curfews now in force in eight provinces Trang (10pm-3am), Nonthaburi (9pm-4am), Bung Kan (11pm-4am), Pathum Thani (9pm-4am), Songkhla (10pm-4am), Samut Prakan (9pm-4am), Samut Sakhon (11pm-4am) and Surat

Thani (10pm-4am).

Edited by dick turpin

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Don't forget, Canute failed in his bid ???? 

Canute did not fail, he was proving he was not a god to the people that believed he was, by saying if i'm a god i will stop the tide coming in which he could'nt do so proved he was a normal being, or so the tale goes, but i think Uncle Tuu will fail just like he did when gave an order to stop the burning in the north a couple of years back, now probably worse than ever!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The laws include the Communicable Disease Act, the Drugs Act, the Navigation in Thai Waters Act, the Air Travel Act, the Land Traffic Act, the Armaments Act, the Medical Equipment Act, the Immigration Act, the Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act, the Poisonous Substances Act and the National Health Security Act, among others.

Well part of it is to draw the negative attention away from Anutin the stooge. But what gets me is this bozo was just fined 6k baht for supposedly not knowing his head from his pie hole and now they give him absolute power over everything. There is no difference from before the elections to now. maybe worse as he even blatantly disregarded taking the oath properly and successfully eliminated everyone who opposed and was a threat to him and his junta group. Bravo!..

• Like 2

Reminds me of the old Bony M song Rasputin .. 

" Ra Ra Anutin , lover of the ganja green , there was a man who really was gone . 

" Ra Ra Anutin , Thailand's greatest porky-pie machine , it was a shame how he carried on " ..

Sing along now 

" Ra Ra Anutin .. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The laws include the Communicable Disease Act, the Drugs Act, the Navigation in Thai Waters Act, the Air Travel Act, the Land Traffic Act, the Armaments Act, the Medical Equipment Act, the Immigration Act, the Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act, the Poisonous Substances Act and the National Health Security Act, among others.

Reads like a bit of a coup, no?

7 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Canute did not fail, he was proving he was not a god to the people that believed he was, by saying if i'm a god i will stop the tide coming in which he could'nt do so proved he was a normal being, or so the tale goes, but i think Uncle Tuu will fail just like he did when gave an order to stop the burning in the north a couple of years back, now probably worse than ever!

OK, OK faulty memory and urban myth ...

Let's substitute Elton John for Canute (cover art from "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player" which happens to be the first album I ever bought).

105_4971.jpg.83e2b6c4bb4ee990f776740127fb0ac5.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lavender19 said:

Well he should sort this shambles out pronto. 

https://www.thaienquirer.com/26891/exclusive-government-inaction-blocking-private-hospital-vaccine-purchase-despite-prayut-promise/

What an absolute disgrace. Still waiting to make the rich richer or what? 

I prefer to think that his seizing of control of the relevant departments is a way to CIRCUMVENT the predations of the likes of the unqualified and deceitful DPM and Health Minister and all the rest of the clique that are buggering about trying to get their xx% cut on everything first.

In the work place, the good boss delegates duties to his subordinates and it's up to them to deliver what is promised. When it becomes obvious that don't want to or are otherwise incapable of doing so, he fires and hires. However, with the political talent pool here lower than the water levels in the Khun Dan Prakan Chon Dam, the smarter boss goes DIY.

• Like 1