PM appointed Thailand’s “COVID Czar” in sole charge of handling the pandemic

webfact

6 hours ago, mrfill said:

Czar

Kaiser

Caesar

Take your pick from the synonyms - But note that the Ides of March have already passed for this year.

I expect a sassy new hat to appear soon. Perhaps even a laurel wreath - that would be very fetching.

and how about a new watch to go with the hat

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Don't forget, Canute failed in his bid ???? 

In this case, isn't Canute something of a spelling mistake?  ???? (Already suggested by @colinneiland others)

Reading the OP, when I got to ".....concentration of powers with the prime minister is to ensure efficiency....." I almost lost the will to live!

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 2

A bit off topic but why don't they put him in sole charge of Immigration and he can compile a handbook to be issued to all Immigration Officers/Offices so they are all "singing from the same hymnsheet"?

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Perfect.. If he fails than we can get rid of his man, because he will be the man who is the only man responsible for the Covid crisis.. Can't wait because he will fail

It's ok he'll just order others to sort it!????????????

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

King Canute he is not.

mmmmmm ... King Canute failed.... he did this to demonstrate to his sycophantic follows that he was NOT all powerful, I don't see any of signs this with Prayuth. However, it remains to be seen if he fails, if he will admit failure.

Edited by kwilco

1 hour ago, MisguidedPangolin said:

I was wondering if this is the explanation.

Things have gone from good to really, really bad. It doesn't take a genius to see where things are heading from here. A bizarre move giving one person complete power over an upcoming complete and inevitable disaster seems like a potential scapegoat setup. Of course he'd be too powerhungry to refuse any opportunity to hold more power, and that lust would blind him to any potential plans, even if it was a case of taking responsibility for impending doom.

Interesting point.

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

Don't forget, Canute failed in his bid ???? 

Not at all.

Contrary to popular misconception the purpose of the exercise was for Canute  to demonstrate the limits of his secular power.

He succeeded:

King Canute and the tide - Wikipedia

"Then the king leapt backwards, saying: 'Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings, for there is none worthy of the name, but He whom heaven, earth, and sea obey by eternal laws.'" He then hung his gold crown on a crucifix, and never wore it again "to the honour of God the almighty King"

<Deleted> the Great - Wikipedia

"also known as Canute, was King of England, Denmark and Norway, often referred to together as the North Sea Empire during his rule."

"the most effective king in Anglo-Saxon history".

Edited by Enoon

16 hours ago, webfact said:

...The laws include the Communicable Disease Act, the Drugs Act...

Does this mean that henceforth and for the duration of the limited period of as yet unspecified duration, the prime minister will authorise the importation and use of Covid-19 vaccines, including vaccines that have not yet been approved by the Thai FDA?

• Like 1