Thailand reports 1,871 new coronavirus cases, 10 new deaths

webfact

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

In the UK, 1 in a million people die from the vaccine. 

1864 people in a million die from Covid. 

No one would argue to not use AZ at all (I hope). The point is to have other vaccines, mRNA in particular, for people who are at higher risk of blood clots. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Clearly, the focus must be on stopping infections from people returning from abroad. 

ASQ is there to prevent new variants from entering Thailand.  Since December, they stopped 15 UK variants in ASQ. 10 days ago they stopped Thailand's first case of the killer Brazil P.1 variant. 

The last thing they need now is to mix the Brazil variant with the UK variant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petedk said:

Still no confirmation as to whether foreigners are included in the program or not. 

I was counting on paying for the vaccine.

I would expect "or not". Foreigners to the back of the que. 

2 hours ago, petedk said:

Still no confirmation as to whether foreigners are included in the program or not. 

I was counting on paying for the vaccine.

Are we classed as 'Citizens' ?    No; we are Aliens and Aliens are not mentioned !!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pauliewall said:

Anecdotally of course, but all the locals I've spoken to here say they wouldn't take the AZ vaccine but have no opinion on the Sinovac vaccine. It's funny, most foreigners I have spoken to have the opposite opinion. 

Naturally; this is Thailand where everything is opposite !

14 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Totally irrational. There is no "additional risk". There's a far higher risk of blood clots if you catch covid-19 than from getting vaccinated. You need to use your critical faculties to do a bit of risk analysis rather than reading social media scare stories.

But what's the chance of catching Covid in Thailand? Currently about 0.09%. By taking AZ you've already confirmed your risk of AZ blood clots, so additional risk

4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

But what's the chance of catching Covid in Thailand? Currently about 0.09%. By taking AZ you've already confirmed your risk of AZ blood clots, so additional risk

Bizarre mindset. Just by being around people you've confirmed your risk of covid-19.  The "additional risk" from the vaccine is more than offset from the protection, even in Thailand.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Why are they so reluctant to allow the private sector to buy vaccines? I guess the knee-jerk response is that there is corruption involved somewhere, and I guess that might be right. I just wondered if there was anything else behind it.

The Brown Envelopes from the Private Sector are clearly nowhere near fat enough.  Add to that the fact that several Ministers and HISO's are bigwigs in the Siam Biotech business and you have your answers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Well I am eligible to get the AZ vax from Monday and I know I need it to get back to my condo in Thailand without quarantine, but I still can't bring myself to get it.

Can't believe it but I'd rather do the extra days in quarantine rather than face the risk of AZ blood clots when I'm perfectly healthy.

I mean the survival rate from infected Covid patients in Thailand is 99.7%, so why add additional risk?

Maybe you should factor in that 10% of COVID survivors become "long haulers".

"The findings of a new study suggest that even people with mild COVID-19 may develop long-term health complications that go well beyond the lungs."

Look for These Symptoms in the Months After COVID Recovery (healthline.com)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, rabas said:

You attempt to "disillusion" me failed based on science, fact, and evidence.

"May still carry" means there is a small probability. Vaccines may not reduce infection by 100.0%,  but they do greatly reduce infection and spread. See Israel's reduced infection results and the rapid declines of spread in UK and the US.

I'd counter that by pointing to Chile, a country that has the 3rd quickest rollout of vaccines has not that the same effect as the Israel and the UK so it's not an absolute that vaccines have driven down the spread in these countries. Remember that Covid was declining this time of year last year in the Northern Hemisphere as things were moving towards summer. 

• Confused 1

Bangkok gets new ‘hospitel’ in Bang Kapi

Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang on Thursday oversaw the setting up of Bangkok’s third “hospitel” at the Baan Thai Boutique Hotel in Bang Kapi district.

The hospitel, being set up to deal with rising Covid-19 cases, will come under the supervision of Taksin Hospital and the Medical Service Department. It is expected to accommodate 300 asymptomatic patients and will be opened from Friday.

Patients will either get single rooms or twin rooms depending on their condition. Patients’ symptoms will be checked and treatment delivered remotely via telemedicine and the CovidTrackerTAKSIN HOSPITEL application.

(more)

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000362

4 minutes ago, Pauliewall said:

I'd counter that by pointing to Chile, a country that has the 3rd quickest rollout of vaccines has not that the same effect as the Israel and the UK so it's not an absolute that vaccines have driven down the spread in these countries. Remember that Covid was declining this time of year last year in the Northern Hemisphere as things were moving towards summer. 

"Vaccination with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine reduces infections by 90%"

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n888

And yes, they did test all participates with PCR tests to show they were not infected. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pauliewall said:

They've been using Sinovac in Chile right? ooops

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Are you sure? Now 3 people dead in Australia just after AZ vaccination? This is from 1 million jabs and they were aged 48, 55 and 71 and yet AZ supposed to be safe for over 50

At that rate if they vaccinated 63 million in Thailand with AZ, they could have 189 deaths, which is sadly more than the current Covid deaths

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/australia-two-nsw-men-die-after-receiving-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

So perhaps try not to mislead as this is an extract from your attachment "It is unclear whether health authorities suspect that a rare and severe clotting condition linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, called thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome, is being investigated as a possible cause of the deaths. Though the Tamworth man developed clotting in his lungs, it is not yet clear whether the clotting was TTS or a more common form of clotting unrelated to the vaccine.@

• Like 2

Thursday's televised English language COVID news briefing by a government spokesman:

Screenshot_24.jpg.c77c60621e1d225b831beb51a031fa12.jpg

"Public Health Ministry affirms that all people who resided in Thailand regardless of nationalities are eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccine. The ministry will inform the vaccination plan for foreign nationals as soon as it’s available."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/videos/926871171410239/

And the 30 pages of presentation slides from the earlier Thai language COVID briefing by the Ministry of Public Health

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/315306810087650

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

“The government has informed the Thai Chamber of Commerce that it has sourced enough vaccines to meet the requirement of every citizens, therefore the private sector does not need to buy any additional vaccines.

And they speak of Thais getting vaccine and  what about non-Thais? non-citizens?