Thailand reports 1,871 new coronavirus cases, 10 new deaths

webfact

5 hours ago, grandpa said:

Sorry to disillusion you, but people who have been vaccinated are still capable of carrying and transmitting the virus!

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210203-why-vaccinated-people-may-still-be-able-to-spread-covid-19

Theoretically possible, but I have yet to see a documented case of someone infected by a vaccinated person.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Don't believe these fudged figures the virus has gone exponential weeks ago. They are keeping the number down as much as possible to avoid a mad panic. Especially now that the vaccine rollout is a complete balls up. It's a cover up of gigantic proportions.

I reckon add a couple of zero to the numbers and I think that's a more accurate rate of infection.

What you are saying is that it’s possible for an epidemic to surge out of control, but without the public seeing more than just a couple thousand cases a day.

3 hours ago, KhunMorris said:

All these reported daily case rates are utterly meaningless without testing positivity rates and 7 day averages. The expat community are utterly asinine if they think this is going to be over anytime soon. 

It's telling that people are dying without actually testing positive.

Test 100 people the most you'll get is 100 cases. I've heard anecdotally they're doing at most 15k a day. 

Sincerely 

MORRIS 

We have been through this. Thailand is doing 50,000 tests a day.

The positivity rate seems to be under 5%. 

I am not totally confident with these numbers, but the reduced numbers of new cases is consistent with them.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Careful then as  Pfizer has also been linked to some blood clot issues. And of course J&J. Your options could be dwindling

the choice of Moderna or Pfizer is about effectiveness.

against blood clots, I will just take blood thinner, will buy it myself if it's not provided.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

the choice of Moderna or Pfizer is about effectiveness.

against blood clots, I will just take blood thinner, will buy it myself if it's not provided.

No problem, its just in your original post you only mentioned you'd take it with AZ only

"I wonder if they will dispense blood thinner with the AZ jab"

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, grandpa said:

Why is this young fit woman being vaccinated?!!!! 

Short answer: air hostess is a hiso job here

Long answer: The West mostly started to vaccinate the most vulnerable first, and medical workers. Others,  like China,  Indonesia and Thailand,  had different priorities.  China vaccinated military first. Indonesia and Thailand vaccinate the productive part of society first.  In Thailand, it's tourist industry and aviation first (and medical workers),  hoping to open international tourism. So airline staff and everyone in Phuket.

4 hours ago, Pauliewall said:

AZ is around $3 per dose. Pfizer is around $30 per dose. All dependant on whatever deal is made by the gov and manufacturers but that's what the UK gov is paying. 

Thai government pays over 7 $ to Biscience, the company that plans to manufacture AZ for South East Asia.

1 minute ago, mick01827 said:

Why not just play Russian roulette with a 9mm and 1 bullet........yeah why not its only your life......baaaaaa baaaaaa, don't forget to get sheared this summer ????

Says the guy chancing he won’t get infected by the virus. I can think of some 375,000 Indians who did the same recently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, petedk said:

Still no confirmation as to whether foreigners are included in the program or not. 

I was counting on paying for the vaccine.

Yes, I find that lack of transparency both troubling and incompetent. What's more, no information from my embassy. Very hard to have confidence in people who are supposed to lead us out of this mess.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Course Changed! Government says private sector has no need to order vaccines

Thailand’s government, through the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said late Wednesday that the private sector and hospital groups have no need to order vaccines on their own as the government would be able to provide for all vaccine needs.

Now, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha appears to be walking back promises made in a public address two weeks ago in which he promised to expedite and allow private hospitals to acquire their own vaccines to supplement the national pool.

The Thai Chamber of Commerce released a statement to private hospitals on Wednesday evening confirming the new direction following meetings it had with the prime minister. The statement, which was shared with the Thai Enquirer, reads as follows.

“The government has informed the Thai Chamber of Commerce that it has sourced enough vaccines to meet the requirement of every citizens, therefore the private sector does not need to buy any additional vaccines.

(more)

https://www.thaienquirer.com/26993/course-changed-government-says-private-sector-has-no-need-to-order-vaccines/

I should add, the Ministry of Public Health just yesterday posted a document online that envisioned the government making its own deals to acquire 5 to 10 million doses each of several imported vaccines, including Pfizer, Johnson and Johnson, and Sputnik.

There was an indication from a government spokesman on Thursday that the government intends to use the Pfizer vaccine, assuming it completes an acquisition deal, on school age youngsters from 12 to 18. And that details of the general vaccine rollout plan for non-Thais will be made public "as soon as it is available."

However, no final deals have been announced thus far for any of those other vaccines, beyond the already known Sinovac imports and local AstraZeneca production.

Is it common practice for the Government to tell private hospitals here how they are to conduct their own "private" business affairs?  Welcome to Thailand...

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I think the daily tally has dropped a bit because of a drop in testing, many people don't want to go to hospital or have a stay in a field hospital. Looking at the scenes over the last week or so many are shying away from the health authorities.

This is having an affect on infection numbers.

I would suggest that the reason for the drop in numbers is due to a large number of institutions offering tests. One of my neighbours is flying back to the UK on 09 May and cannot find a suitable hospital on the 7th to get a test. Can anyone provide some help with this please?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, bobbin said:

No.. you haven't been following the situation, have you..

There is a vaccine production facility here in Thailand for the production of AstraZenica.

Backed by very influential people.

If the vaccine produced in Thailand is really AstraZenica (AS it is called in many posts) no wonder some don't want to get it. Who wants to buy a ROLIX instead of a ROLEX 

Maybe someone is trying to sell a knockoff vaccine here...

????????

9 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:

I would suggest that the reason for the drop in numbers is due to a large number of institutions offering tests. One of my neighbours is flying back to the UK on 09 May and cannot find a suitable hospital on the 7th to get a test. Can anyone provide some help with this please?

Sorry, but a high number of tests will not result in a drop in positive cases. Why would it?

Btw, the number of tests is still minimal compared to the total population.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Sorry, but a high number of tests will not result in a drop in positive cases. Why would it?

Btw, the number of tests is still minimal compared to the total population.

Sarcasm got in the way. You cannot book a test at the moment in a lot of the hospitals. In consequence, my neighbour fears that he will not be allowed on the flight, if he cannot get a test.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:

Had my test a week ago at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Are you sure? Now 3 people dead in Australia just after AZ vaccination? This is from 1 million jabs and they were aged 48, 55 and 71 and yet AZ supposed to be safe for over 50

At that rate if they vaccinated 63 million in Thailand with AZ, they could have 189 deaths, which is sadly more than the current Covid deaths

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/australia-two-nsw-men-die-after-receiving-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

Having passed away after vaccination is not necessarily the same as having passed away because of the vaccination.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

Having passed away after vaccination is not necessarily the same as having passed away because of the vaccination.

That is "they died with the vaccination, not from the vaccination" riff. The Deniers say the same about Covid-19: "what if someone is positive for Covid, and they die in a plane accident, aren't they classified as a COVID death?". 

Occam's Razor tells us the odds of someone dying from something other than the vaccine within a day of their vaccination is very small. 

43 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

If the vaccine produced in Thailand is really AstraZenica (AS it is called in many posts) no wonder some don't want to get it. Who wants to buy a ROLIX instead of a ROLEX 

Maybe someone is trying to sell a knockoff vaccine here...

????????

Very droll...You obviously (and others)  don't know who very very very influential refers to..

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

After six straight days of 2,000+ new COVID case reports in Thailand, the nation finally broke below that with a 7 percent decline to only 1,871 new cases on Thursday, and a decline in new deaths to 10 versus 15 in each of the two prior days.

Thursday's tally, the second consecutive daily decline in new cases, was a considerable improvement from the daily peak of 2,839 new cases that Thailand reported on April 24, and even from the 2,012 reported Wednesday. Not all was good news, though, as the country's number of COVID patients hospitalized in critical condition has kept rising to 786, up 91 patients from the 695 tally on Wednesday, and has more than doubled in the past week.

The lowered tally of new daily COVID cases in Thailand’s third and worst coronavirus wave that erupted at the start of April came as government officials Thursday afternoon were set to announce whether they are going to expand closure orders for Bangkok and several other high case-count provinces beyond the restrictions already imposed earlier this month.

Thailand has now recorded 63,570 official COVID cases and 188 reported deaths since the start of the worldwide pandemic in early 2020. Those stats are relatively better than many other countries, but the Southeast Asian nation also has been lagging behind others with a slow pace of COVID vaccinations that thus far has seen less than 2 percent of its population get their protective shots.

In one other update, a government spokesman said 73 of Thailand's 77 provinces have issued orders requiring people to wear protective face masks when in indoor or outdoor public places. And 12 provinces, not including Bangkok, are urging their residents to stay home at night and in the overnight hours to help prevent the spread of the virus.

As an observation, and a question too I’d say that while vaccination of the populace is almost non-existent then social-distancing, mandatory hand hygiene, masks in any confined shared spaces or in any close contact, restrictions on movement, vigilance on any individual and cluster infections, track n tracing held as mandatory in all movement, and free easily accessible and as rapid as possible testing the relatively low morbidity rates you quote can be continued. Relaxing and thinking that the threat of mass infection isn’t an issue or allowing our frustration to drive us (or govt’s) to relax before mass vaccination with herd immunity gained could prove a very dark future. A future far worse than struggling financially (which is really serious for many millions in LOS). The fact that not far away, on the same land mass (which raises the possible migration of the virus exponentially) the infection could, lest great care and vigilance is taken, move wave-like to the west and us. The naysayers need only look at the complete overwhelm India is suffering to extrapolate what mass infection would do across south east Asia. 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I think the daily tally has dropped a bit because of a drop in testing, many people don't want to go to hospital or have a stay in a field hospital. Looking at the scenes over the last week or so many are shying away from the health authorities.

This is having an affect on infection numbers.

Just thinking if other countries like UK had adopted the same strategy, only get test if you become ill enough, no home quarantine, maybe our "official" number of infections would be lower, seriously ill would still have been similar I suppose and deaths but would knock off all those asymptomatic and mild cases.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

After six straight days of 2,000+ new COVID case reports in Thailand, the nation finally broke below that with a 7 percent decline to only 1,871 new cases on Thursday, and a decline in new deaths to 10 versus 15 in each of the two prior days.

Thursday's tally, the second consecutive daily decline in new cases, was a considerable improvement from the daily peak of 2,839 new cases that Thailand reported on April 24, and even from the 2,012 reported Wednesday. Not all was good news, though, as the country's number of COVID patients hospitalized in critical condition has kept rising to 786, up 91 patients from the 695 tally on Wednesday, and has more than doubled in the past week.

The lowered tally of new daily COVID cases in Thailand’s third and worst coronavirus wave that erupted at the start of April came as government officials Thursday afternoon were set to announce whether they are going to expand closure orders for Bangkok and several other high case-count provinces beyond the restrictions already imposed earlier this month.

Thailand has now recorded 63,570 official COVID cases and 188 reported deaths since the start of the worldwide pandemic in early 2020. Those stats are relatively better than many other countries, but the Southeast Asian nation also has been lagging behind others with a slow pace of COVID vaccinations that thus far has seen less than 2 percent of its population get their protective shots.

In one other update, a government spokesman said 73 of Thailand's 77 provinces have issued orders requiring people to wear protective face masks when in indoor or outdoor public places. And 12 provinces, not including Bangkok, are urging their residents to stay home at night and in the overnight hours to help prevent the spread of the virus.

How does Thailands figures decline when other countries increased daily (im talking about last year). The only time the other countries figures started to drop was due to numerous lengthy lockdowns and vaccine roll out.  

Its no suprise to me that the statistics will starr to work in the new Czar's favour. Just with the baht, any figure can be manipulated.

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

We have been through this. Thailand is doing 50,000 tests a day.

The positivity rate seems to be under 5%. 

I am not totally confident with these numbers, but the reduced numbers of new cases is consistent with them.

Should concentrate on number of tests on new PUI as total testing includes repeat testing, flight PCR certificate, international quarantine, etc. Tests on new persons coming forward and the results gives a better clarity on the situation. If someone tests positive and is then tested again say 10 days later and is negative, the two tests cancel each other out in positivity.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Are you sure? Now 3 people dead in Australia just after AZ vaccination? This is from 1 million jabs and they were aged 48, 55 and 71 and yet AZ supposed to be safe for over 50

At that rate if they vaccinated 63 million in Thailand with AZ, they could have 189 deaths, which is sadly more than the current Covid deaths

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/29/australia-two-nsw-men-die-after-receiving-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine

Normal instances of these blood clots (pre covid) is about 5 per million. A rate of 3 per million is therefore an improvement.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/cvst-cerebral-venous-sinus-thrombosis-what-symptoms-astrazeneca-vaccine/

With no vaccines, there would be 315 deaths in Thailand at that rate.

I'd guess its the high profit seeking drug companies trying to rubbish AZ and get their profits up. Why else make these ludicrous claims?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

That is "they died with the vaccination, not from the vaccination" riff. The Deniers say the same about Covid-19: "what if someone is positive for Covid, and they die in a plane accident, aren't they classified as a COVID death?". 

Occam's Razor tells us the odds of someone dying from something other than the vaccine within a day of their vaccination is very small. 

Occam didn't have a calculator.

In the case of 3 out of 1 million in Australia, the odds of dying from something other than the vaccine within a day is 11.5 times higher than dying of the vaccine. 

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

Just thinking if other countries like UK had adopted the same strategy, only get test if you become ill enough, no home quarantine, maybe our "official" number of infections would be lower, seriously ill would still have been similar I suppose and deaths but would knock off all those asymptomatic and mild cases.

Thailand does not test in the manner you describe.