You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Lending money to a Thai

1 hour ago, Ian3005 said:

A Thai woman asking for a loan should set off alarm bells and warning sirens.

Look at the lifestyle of the person asking for the loan.

If you see brand label clothing and high end accessories like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Ferragamo etc. run like the wind.

Couldn't of said it better.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Yes basically that is correct--I see now-- you have a Thai partner which makes everything a lot easier (but not to easy) You talk about taking the Max rate + a bonus , be careful about that. It should be shown (like a bank) as set up fees, and paid when taking out the loan like the bank does not added on with interest to paid on it not allowed--its a loan or its a fee. The time factor has also changed since the Army done their raid a few years ago on illegal loans. You would have to grant her "adequate"  time for repayment. The minimum now being 1 year written into the contract.

In the contract, look at this as something she is not going to pay back---therefor fixtures Air-conditioners etc should all be listed as part of it.

As its a resort you may want to list everything in the contract--tables beds etc...

Thanks again Sanuk for the types of advice/experience I opened this thread for.

The one year rule I didn't know. Thankyou.

I was aware of the too high interest rate so the extra will be listed as fees.

I am not interested in her resort, I value it at nothing. I am only valuing her land value.

1 hour ago, Ian3005 said:

From my experience I would not give the loan as the chances of repayment is slim.

That is unless it is done legally and you have some form of security.

That is what jumrong and kaifaag is.

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Assume a bank already has first lien on the land.

You'll get nothing.

If a bank had a lien on it that would clearly be stated on the back of the chanote.

And she would not be able to jumnong it as she has already and which is clearly written on the back of the chanote.

• Like 1

Has already a buyer but didn't receive a deposit yet....

Sorry, a deposit is paid quickly. Draw up a contract and secure against a deposit.

Done this many times.

Offer her 10 million baht for her resort and buy it.

She surely has some wealthy friends or clients who would smell the coffee and secure a deal but they are not coming out of their holes.

Up to you Mr farang.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I have loaned money to Thais up to 200,000 b.  Always gotten it back.

Never loan out more then you can afford to lose.

I lent my sister -in-law 200k once and later once she had it asked me (via the wife) can she use it put it down as a car deposit.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Has already a buyer but didn't receive a deposit yet....

Sorry, a deposit is paid quickly. Draw up a contract and secure against a deposit.

Done this many times.

Offer her 10 million baht for her resort and buy it.

She surely has some wealthy friends or clients who would smell the coffee and secure a deal but they are not coming out of their holes.

Up to you Mr farang.

The big resort isn't just a little bed and breakfast. The buyers are doing due diligence and their is also tax complications.

Basically if she doesn't pay me I will be taking her small resort that is worth at least 80 million land value, which she has owned for 20 plus years.

She is asset rich and cash poor. I have known her for a long time, a decent educated hard working frugal woman who has just been run dry because of the covid situation.

I fully expect to be paid by her but am planning on using a kaifaag to more than secure it many times over.

After it is kaifaaged if she doesn't repay it i would actually be much better off.

Rob Muir:

First - you are are speaking in the English Language about Thai Real Estate as a collateral concerning money (financial) instruments. You, as far as your name identifies are a foreign citizen. 

Thai law is written in the Thai language, interpreted and administered by Thai Judges, advocated in a Thai court of law by Thai Attorneys. Only they, Thai Attorneys can offer you an opinion concerning how to protect yourself.

Any information you receive from a website is hear say at best.

Consult with several Thai attorneys on how to protect yourself. Consult with a few and compare their answers before you select the Thai attorney who will protect you to the best of their ability. Continue to do your due diligence.

Good luck, both to you and the recipient of your funds. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I would suspect there are some monied people and organizations trawling the resorts like lions on the Serengeti looking for the distressed, slowest runners and snapping up bargains............disaster capitalists will be making a fortune.

Yes, the potential buyer of the big resort is the son of a very big name. 

They have others also from China but it gets complicated bringing in huge sums without tax implications.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blackcab said:

For myself, the first question would be where will the mortgagee get the money to repay you?

Beautiful, knowledgeable informed answer.

Thankyou, that is pretty much what I thought.

The money to repay me will be coming from the sake of the bigger resort.

If she fails it will be from me selling her smaller resort.

Cheers

Edited by RobMuir
  • Like 1

Never lend any money to anyone if you are not prepared to lose it.  This applies to anyone, not only Thais.

Banks are in the business of lending money, and know what they are doing and the risks.  Why try to do better than they can.

No reason why you cannot give her 2 Millions and be surprised if you get any back.  it is your money and you can do what you want with it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

If a bank had a lien on it that would clearly be stated on the back of the chanote.

And she would not be able to jumnong it as she has already and which is clearly written on the back of the chanote.

Assuming you can read Thai well enough to know the document you are being shown is an original Chanote for that property. Anyway, go down to the land office and have the loan recorded on the Chanote same as a bank would do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Robin said:

Never lend any money to anyone if you are not prepared to lose it.  This applies to anyone, not only Thais.

Banks are in the business of lending money, and know what they are doing and the risks.  Why try to do better than they can.

No reason why you cannot give her 2 Millions and be surprised if you get any back.  it is your money and you can do what you want with it.

It is posts like this where I believe the OP have gone through all the scenarios that can happen, and still willing to take the risk, so I guess it is waste of time, since it will not change his decission to lend her the money, and the question is more of a technical art than common sense ???? 

he is willig to risk 2 million to make 200 000,- +-

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Consult with several Thai attorneys on how to protect yourself. Consult with a few and compare their answers before you select the Thai attorney who will protect you to the best of their ability. Continue to do your due diligence.

You assume too much.

Mostly Thai lawyers seem to act for the benefit of other Thais when being hired by foreigners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

When she already have values for 80 million, why she need a private loan from you? 

Most likely she have already past her limits with the banks, family and other possibillities.

I'm guessing you're aiming going to get well documented specific security.

• Like 2