Lending money to a Thai

6 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

What a vile, incencitive post. At a time when many can't even pay their bills and put food on the table for their kids you decide to come on here and tell a bunch of strangers you have a load of dough to chuck around. They say you can't buy class, and you don't have any old bean. I hope you lend it to her and don't get t back.

I would just like to point out that she asked me.

And that she is asset rich, very rich, and cash poor.

And soon she will be cash rich and asset rich when her larger resort is sold.

And she herself has lent money to others jumrong and kaifaag to others previously.

I wish you all the best sir, thankyou for your kind words.

Would it be possible to do something like ขายฟาก but with a usufruct?

You get a usufruct for 30 years for lending her the money, once she pays it back you cancel the usufruct.

In case she doesn't pay you back she can't use her land for the next 30 years, and with 80 rai and a resort for 30 years you can probably earn more than just 2 million.

Edited by jackdd

20 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Been stuck here for 21 years, lost my mind and any sense of realism years back, fella. That said, I stand by what I say. if you don't think this thread lacks class in these harsh times, then let's agree to disagree.

I'm going out for a beer and a natter at 5.30 with a few of the local (s)expats. what are you doing tonight?

Are you asking me out on a date, if so I'll put my best party frock on, that Ok, fella?

????????????

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Are you asking me out on a date, if so I'll put my best party frock on, that Ok, fella?

????????????

Apart from the fact that I wasn't responding to your post, please don't give up your day job.

Must do better C-

• Haha 2

Bye bye 2 million baht! Either give it as a gift or don't lend. Same whether to a Thai or any other nationality. If the banks won't lend they neither would I.

I "lent" once to a Thai brother-in-law for his business (about 2006) but unexpectedly received repayment as a lump sum at the pre-determined date some months later. When lent, I never expected to receive it back. Looked at it as part of the wife's money too and, at the time could afford to lose it. More often than not, from what I hear, and from wife's experience previously, loans never get repaid.

The thought that he is even thinking about giving away 2 million baht is mind blowing. 

Yes I know he said lend. But lend in thai means give, as in a gift. And nothing to secure the loan that you can really own. Maybe if she signed over a 3 million baht Mercedes in your name than no problem.  

• Like 1

At least if you are going to do it , do it through her bank & go surety on a 2nd mortgage,

that way if the bank reposes the property you are 2nd in line after the bank.

If someone else has done that already at least the bank will tell you at which time you can run away.

If you can tell me the assett for sale & location I may be able to help & no, I am

not a real estate agent 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

You seem to be laboring under the misperception that there is a reliable legal and civil law-enforcement infrastructure in place to enforce your rights in the event of default. There isn't. Going to court can take years, and even if you win a judgement, there will almost certainly be no help available to enforce the verdict. Your ability to enforce any financial interest you have in land will be severely undermined, if not crippled, by Thailand's land laws which prohibit ownership in land by foreigners. There is a very high probability that you have been approached for a loan largely because you are naively unaware of these realities.

I applaud you Gecko. 

The OP wanted advice based on experience. 

I think you just did that in a concise and clear manner that nonetheless literally reeks of experience, personal or otherwise. 

Moreover, it has the inescapably visceral ring of real-world truth to it. 

Your last sentence alone should give the OP pause for deep thought unburdened by emotion. 

You get my vote for the best reply I've read so far. At this point nearly every reply has urged caution to some degree or another. 

That OP, is your answer clearly writ. As you say: Up to you. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Lending against her bigger resort isn't an option as a bank already has that mortgaged.

And if she does not pay that they will come after her other resort, and I am pretty sure the Thai bank will come before you in any claims court.

Fact she is up to her armpits in debt with the other resort should surely be a huge warning sign. I imagine the money you are paying is repayment to the bank of money she has already defaulted on.

And before you start, remember Thailand is still ridden with covid, chances are that Thailand will not open for another year (or plan for it anyway) and then not at full capacity. 

You are wanting to lend money to a business that is about to go bust with no assets claimable by you

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Rob Muir:

First - you are are speaking in the English Language about Thai Real Estate as a collateral concerning money (financial) instruments. You, as far as your name identifies are a foreign citizen. 

Thai law is written in the Thai language, interpreted and administered by Thai Judges, advocated in a Thai court of law by Thai Attorneys. Only they, Thai Attorneys can offer you an opinion concerning how to protect yourself.

Any information you receive from a website is hear say at best.

Consult with several Thai attorneys on how to protect yourself. Consult with a few and compare their answers before you select the Thai attorney who will protect you to the best of their ability. Continue to do your due diligence.

Good luck, both to you and the recipient of your funds. 

And bear in mind that the overriding consideration of nearly all lawyers, especially Thai ones, is their own rice bowl and the expeditious filling thereof. Preferably, bit not exclusively, at the expense of a foreigner.

• Haha 1

Thankyou for your intelligent, informed reply.

Yes I was aware of the extra expense for her which is why she wants jumnong over kaifaag. Her smaller resort is on a few different chanotes.

I could take one for say worth 10 million that includes the private road to her resort valued at say 10 million, which would reduce her taxes but still secure my loan.

I am pretty sure I won't be jumronging it. And will go for the fool proof kaifaag way.

Up to me.

The last three words say it all and makes me wonder why you are on here at all when all you need is a lawyer to advise and explain everything clearly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

If the banks won't lend they neither would I.

This pretty much sums it up for me.  What bank wouldn’t be tripping over itself to make a 10% LTV loan on an unencumbered resort/piece of land (if said resort is really worth 10x the loan?  Perhaps the debtor knows that it would be much easier for the bank to foreclose and subsequently repossess the land than a foreigner would be.

• Like 2

So you have no knowledge of jumnong or Kai faag.

Thankyou for that contribution.

It is clear that you are totally blinded to any common-sense advice.

You know best. you know jumnong & Kaifaang.

So be it.

Don't ask people's opinion unless you really want to know what they think or advise.

My advice? Walk away.

Otherwise - do what you want! go ahead. It's your 2 Million.

you're the man!

Up to you......

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Assume a bank already has first lien on the land.

You'll get nothing.

Some variation of this is the most likely scenario. AFAIK, there is not much of a title search system here, the Land Office can only do so much.

Not to mention any claims on the land that are not registered through the Land Office, but have other means of enforcement.

You don't want to be involved in this.

• Like 2

...one would guess that you are thinking with something other than your brain...

....that said....being gallant...in Thailand...is equated to being gullible...to be polite about it...

... being wise...or astute...???...involving your partner is no security whatsoever...

...even paying lawyers to represent your interests...ask how many have done so before you...

...and what they ended up with...

...makes no sense whatsoever...

• Like 2