Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

23 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Yes the mask debate...according to WHO masks with exhale valves not recommended. 

WHO does not advise using masks or respirators with exhalation valves. These masks are intended for industrial workers to prevent dust and particles from being breathed in as the valve closes on inhale. However, the valve opens on exhale, making it easier to breathe but also allowing any virus to pass through the valve opening. This makes the mask ineffective at preventing the spread of COVID-19 or any other respiratory virus"

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 5:19 AM, Bday Prang said:

I wouldn't worry too much just remember where you are, With a bit of "creativity" it will be easy enough to get vaccinated with whatever vaccine you want. Its not only immigration and police that are open to "persuasion"  Come on guys its all part of assimilating into Thai society

The weak point in your argument is that vaccines are not available in Thailand. So how does anyone get the jabs.? 

58 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Yes the mask debate...according to WHO masks with exhale valves not recommended. 

WHO does not advise using masks or respirators with exhalation valves. These masks are intended for industrial workers to prevent dust and particles from being breathed in as the valve closes on inhale. However, the valve opens on exhale, making it easier to breathe but also allowing any virus to pass through the valve opening. This makes the mask ineffective at preventing the spread of COVID-19 or any other respiratory virus"

You are misinformed.  An N95 is NOT only for industrial use (i.e.: dust protection).  They are certified to 0.3 microns which is perfectly effective against any virus. 

The exhalation valves are adequate protection against viruses for both the wearer and others around the wearer.

Furthermore, claims that N95 masks are ineffective are inaccurately being spread by people who do not understand how viruses are transmitted.

While the COVID 19 virus particle size is 125 nanometers (0.125 microns), and the N95 mask filters down to 0.3 microns, that does NOT mean that the mask is ineffective against the virus. 

The reason is very simple to understand if you realize that viruses are always bound to larger particles such as water droplets or aerosols.  They do not just float around on their own.  So, talking and breathing, for instance, generate particles that are 1 micron in size, which the N95 mask can easily deal with.    

In fact, N95 masks actually have that name because they are 95% efficient at stopping particles in their least efficient particle size range, which is around 0.3 microns for the N95 mask. They are actually much more efficient at filtering particles either larger or smaller than 0.3 microns.

Here's are a couple of random, science based explanation if you don't believe what I'm saying:

And from the CDC:

"...an N95 filtering face piece respirator will protect you and provide source control to protect others.  A NIOSH-approved N95 filtering face piece respirator with an exhalation valve offers the same protection to the wearer as one that does not have a valve. As source control, findings from NIOSH research suggest that, even without covering the valve, N95 respirators with exhalation valves provide the same or better source control than surgical masks, procedure masks, cloth masks, or fabric coverings. ..:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

Just my personal perspective, I am always wary of anything the WHO puts out there to the public because historically they have been incredibly misleading many times regarding Covid and the SARS-CoV-2 virus.  IMO you should always research for yourself anything they have to say.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

N95 respirators with exhalation valves provide the same or better source control than surgical masks, procedure masks, cloth masks, or fabric coverings

Alrighty then!  Surgical masks seems to be adequate.  Social distancing is key to being safe anyways  AFAIK.   

Google came up with the WHO statement and that is as far as I read.  

7 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Alrighty then!  Surgical masks seems to be adequate.  Social distancing is key to being safe anyways  AFAIK.   

Google came up with the WHO statement and that is as far as I read.  

Just to be clear, surgical masks and N95 masks are two different things.  Surgical masks are what you buy at 7-11, and do not filter viruses nearly as well as an N95 mask.

See this infographic:  

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/understanddifferenceinfographic-508.pdf

Regarding the WHO...Just my own point of view, but never trust anything the WHO has to say without corroborating it with other science-based sources.  While the scientists who work at WHO are some of the best int he world, the administrators are more politically oriented than they are scientifically oriented, and have historically spread misinformation that is proven to exactly that over time.

Edited by WaveHunter

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Of course they are a better source of information!

I disagree..... too difficult to sort reality from gossip... the language barrier alone creates misunderstanding. Some of the crxp my Mrs comes up with......

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I disagree..... too difficult to sort reality from gossip... the language barrier alone creates misunderstanding. Some of the crxp my Mrs comes up with......

Well, we'll know soon enough what the reality is.  The CCSA will probably discuss it tomorrow in the daily press briefing, and hopefully in no uncertain terms (which is actually pretty rare for them to do LOL).

If I don't have a clear understanding, I'll cancel my appointment and wait for MedPark.  There is no way I'll take a chance of getting hassled at some silly check point and perhaps even detained. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

I believe you said you were taking a driving service (taxi)

Are those drivers tested to be Covid free daily? 

Otherwise I think you will be closer to another person breathing than I will for the 2 + hours. 

Although you could open a window and I cannot on a bus, that might be advantageous/safer

Yeah I agree with you that either way is risky to some degree.  I'm actually "on the fence" about even heading into Bangkok next week for the vax.  I mean, the issue about possible lockdowns, roadside checks that could be problematic in travel, etc... are just making me think of putting it off until next month with MedPark, or who knows, now that Chonburi has been re-classified to be a DEEP RED zone, we may even start to get vaccines down here!

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

There is no way I'll take a chance of getting hassled at some silly check point and perhaps even detained. 

I seriously don't see things getting like that. Drove in and out of town today without issue or being stopped. Slight delay at Klang/Suk junction, boy racer fender bender, cars pointing wrong way in slip road U-Turn. Heaven knows what that was about. On my way home they were setting up a road block on Railway Line Rd under Hwy 7 Flyover. 

Personally a Medway registration tempted me, but the trip to Bangkok is just difficult with the curfews..... really don't want to stay overnight there.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

One good thing that just happened (though you may find my logic a bit odd)...Chonburi has just officially been re-classified as a DEEP RED province now, according to the CCSA!

Maybe that now means we will start getting the allotment of vaccines right here in Pattaya and a new urgency to get foreigners registered that has formally been denied to them here.

Indeed I find the rationale a bit odd and based on assumptions that I don't share:

1) I think the pace of the vaccine rollout is driven by the lack of availability of the shots in the first place its a matter of grossly insufficient supply not demand inelasticity.

2) Chonburi being re-classified as dark-red has been announced since Friday and there are 6 other provinces which will also go dark-red so chances are that Chonburi or Foreigners per se will be prioritised are slim to none in my view.

3) Please be careful to take information from the CCSA and post them here in the forum as "facts" even this time it seems like harmless common knowledge we have seen over and over again that the information that comes from them needs to be validated and cross-checked with other sources. 

4) I would not use the term "register" as a desirable action - I don't think we want to get "registered" we want to get vaccinated urgently! I have "registered" to no avail in the past with MedPark, Vimut, BPH, Thonburi Health Group and I remember vividly that you praised Pattaya Memorial Hospital's great registration process... We all know the outcome. 

21 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I just received some from Lazada today, and the difference between them and the cheap ones you get at 7-11 was shocking!  Not only do they seal to your face way better, but the built-in filter makes it a lot easier to breathe normally.  Next to being fully vaccinated, a seriously good N-95 mask is the best thing you can do to protect yourself.  I can't believe I waited so long to figure that out LOL.

You didn't get the type with the valve in them did you? That opens when you breathe out? (Obvious by a white plastic disk or 2 at the cheek position). These are pollution protection masks which are NOT suitable for this Covid situation. We need to filter both ways, out and in. I got a load pre-Covid from Lazada, but to use on my bike during pollution season. I ask as I saw a few wearing them in Big-CX Mall today ....

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You didn't get the type with the valve in them did you? That opens when you breathe out? (Obvious by a white plastic disk or 2 at the cheek position). These are pollution protection masks which are NOT suitable for this Covid situation. We need to filter both ways, out and in. I got a load pre-Covid from Lazada, but to use on my bike during pollution season. I ask as I saw a few wearing them in Big-CX Mall today ....

Read the detailed post I put up about 45 minutes ago in this thread about efficacy of N95 masks for dealing with viruses.  There's a lot of misconceptions being spread by people that don't understand about how N95 masks work or about how viruses are transmitted.

It was an eye opener to me when I did some digging from science-based sources instead of the lame mass media stories floating around.  I included a couple of source links.

Edited by WaveHunter

25 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Read the detailed post I put up about 45 minutes ago in this thread about efficacy of N95 masks for dealing with viruses.  There's a lot of misconceptions being spread by people that don't understand about how N95 masks work or about how viruses are transmitted.

It was an eye openers to me when I did some digging from science-based sources instead of the lame mass media stories floating around.  I included a couple of source links.

Fair enough, had not read that. (Your post). But was well aware that the valved type facemasks are not suitable.

Edited by jacko45k

35 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Indeed I find the rationale a bit odd and based on assumptions that I don't share:

1) I think the pace of the vaccine rollout is driven by the lack of availability of the shots in the first place its a matter of grossly insufficient supply not demand inelasticity.

2) Chonburi being re-classified as dark-red has been announced since Friday and there are 6 other provinces which will also go dark-red so chances are that Chonburi or Foreigners per se will be prioritised are slim to none in my view.

3) Please be careful to take information from the CCSA and post them here in the forum as "facts" even this time it seems like harmless common knowledge we have seen over and over again that the information that comes from them needs to be validated and cross-checked with other sources. 

4) I would not use the term "register" as a desirable action - I don't think we want to get "registered" we want to get vaccinated urgently! I have "registered" to no avail in the past with MedPark, Vimut, BPH, Thonburi Health Group and I remember vividly that you praised Pattaya Memorial Hospital's great registration process... We all know the outcome. 

1) The present lack of vaccines for our province are of course due to lack of supply but it is also because the available stock is being redirected where they are needed most, which are the dark red zones.  We are now considered a dark red zone.  That raises our likelihood of receiving more vaccines than we have to date.

2) Same as above...so what if there are other provinces also classified as Deep-Red; now we are one so tat can only increase our chances of ore vaccines in Chonburi.

3) You have to go by "official" statements whether or not they prove true.  You can't merely discount them even if they are historically less than honest.  What alternative do you have if you want to try and be at least somewhat informed?  The only other alternative is to stick your. head the sand and hope for the best.

4) Of course we all want to be vaccinated, but without being official registered into the public rollout, we are invisible to it, and therefore have no access to vaccination. 

You need to make a distinction between public and private registration.  MedPark and PhyaThai are NOT part of the public registration process; they are being handled by private hospitals. 

Right now there is NO public registration scheme in effect and that needs to change...because the public at large (both Thai and foreigners) have no way of registering and therefore no way of becoming vaccinated except either by chance (i.e.: PhyaThai / Medpark) or by special government mandates to special groups or individuals....and that is NOT how a PUBLIC registration for vaccination should work.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I seriously don't see things getting like that. Drove in and out of town today without issue or being stopped. Slight delay at Klang/Suk junction, boy racer fender bender, cars pointing wrong way in slip road U-Turn. Heaven knows what that was about. On my way home they were setting up a road block on Railway Line Rd under Hwy 7 Flyover. 

Personally a Medway registration tempted me, but the trip to Bangkok is just difficult with the curfews..... really don't want to stay overnight there.

Well I just see a trip into BKK this week as a potential challenge that could simply be a minor inconvenience, or something much more. 

I just remember a time when I had to travel to Myanmar border to exit and re-enter for my tourist visa.  It should have been a simple thing but then a border guard decided to hassle me over some silly thing about my passport and it went on for four hours before I was allowed to cross back in.  That same trip back to Chiang Mai on a bus, we hit a check point where all passengers had to disembark and each person had to show their passports to soldiers shouldered automatic weapons and very unfriendly looks on their face!

Sorry...just a bizarro story I wanted to relate.

Not saying I expect anything like that, but here in the Magic Kingdom, anything is possible especially if there are new government restrictions that are poorly understood and open to interpretation.

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Fair enough, had not read that.

Yeah, me neither until I got curious.  It amazes me how much mis-information is out there surrounding Covid right now.  That scares me more than the virus, honestly.

7 hours ago, Harry2 said:

Had not seen about the car protest last night.

Just a sign of things to come here, especially post covid.  

Student protests will be bolstered by regular Thai's who are / were very unhappy about the Thai government's lack of financial support during the pandemic.  

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

1) The present lack of vaccines for our province are of course due to lack of supply but it is also because the available stock is being redirected where they are needed most, which are the dark red zones.  We are now considered a dark red zone.  That raises our likelihood of receiving more vaccines than we have to date.

2) Same as above...so what if there are other provinces also classified as Deep-Red; now we are one so tat can only increase our chances of ore vaccines in Chonburi.

3) You have to go by "official" statements whether or not they prove true.  You can't merely discount them even if they are historically less than honest.  What alternative do you have if you want to try and be at least somewhat informed?  The only other alternative is to stick your. head the sand and hope for the best.

4) Of course we all want to be vaccinated, but without being official registered into the public rollout, we are invisible to it, and therefore have no access to vaccination. 

You need to make a distinction between public and private registration.  MedPark and PhyaThai are NOT part of the public registration process; they are being handled by private hospitals. 

Right now there is NO public registration scheme in effect and that needs to change...because the public at large (both Thai and foreigners) have no way of registering and therefore no way of becoming vaccinated except either by chance (i.e.: PhyaThai / Medpark) or by special government mandates to special groups or individuals....and that is NOT how a PUBLIC registration for vaccination should work.

There is a public registration scheme for Thais available since quite a while - its the Mor Prom app... and my main concern is that we should have been processed via Mor Prom like Thais and be vaccinated based on vulnerability. Excluding foreigners and sending  a few ones to Bangkok via a separate trickle down process and come up with random registration schemes and forcing us to pre-pay for Moderna jabs that hven't been ordered etc. is utterly despicable in my view. Its the discrimination part that I find most bothersome when my government and all other western public health organisations I know don't distinguish between locals and "foreigners" and vaccinate Thais like everybody else that needs the jab overseas. The way human beings should treat one another. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

For one thing, N95 masks seal to your face perfectly with no gaps.  For another thing, the little filter is much better at filtering our viruses than the cloth or paper.

Agree.  I did order some on Lazada for my trip to Bangkok.  Found an N95 mask pack that is estimated July 21 delivery so even if a day late I will have them to wear

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Agree.  I did order some on Lazada for my trip to Bangkok.  Found an N95 mask pack that is estimated July 21 delivery so even if a day late I will have them to wear

Could you share the please if it's Lazada?

33 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The new restrictions have been published today in the Royal Gazette, effective from Tuesday. This is not going to help those of us travelling to Bangkok for a vaccination later in the week, unless they get their act together very quickly on what paperwork is required. This is the announcement from a FB  group I follow. 

According to the Royal Gazette announced on Sunday the government will be tightening COVID-19 measures from Tuesday.

The number of dark red provinces has increased are now increased to 13 provinces.

They are: Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Narathiwat, Pathum Thani, Pattani, Ayutthaya, Yala, Songkhla, Samut Prakan and Samut Sakhon.

Additional measures to be imposed on Tuesday are:

▪︎ People living in dark red provinces (maximum and strictly controlled areas) are not allowed to go outdoors unless necessary.

▪︎ Curfew hours are imposed from 9pm to 4am.

▪︎ Restaurants, shopping malls remain closed while super markets, pharmacies and vaccination centers must be closed at 8pm.

▪︎ Convenience must be closed from 8pm to 4am.

▪︎ Provincial governors must close venues and ban activities that could pose risk of COVID-19 infection for 14 days.

▪︎ Checkpoints will be set up to prevent people living in dark red provinces from inter-province travel.

▪︎ The number of passengers on public transport is limited to 50 per cent capacity (only in dark red provinces).

Oh.

That sounds troubling.

Hopefully we'll be informed of more details in the coming days.

As far as the shopping malls I'm assuming some things will still be open in them like banks, right?

46 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Checkpoints will be set up to prevent people living in dark red provinces from inter-province travel.

This is what mainly concerns me. A vaccine or other medical appointment in the past has been sufficient to permit such travel, but who knows what they may come up with now? Go and queue in City Hall or the Amphoe office for a permit maybe, along with hundreds of Thais, maybe prawn vendors in the local markets wanting permission to go to the big seafood market in Samut Sakhon. Hmm, now why does that ring a bell, lol? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Thai Inquirer has a slightly more detailed story, especially about conditions attached to going out in the non-curfew period of the day. It's not much stricter than what we are already used to.

The new measures that will be applied in these [13] provinces between July 20 and August 2 include:

--Avoid leaving your residence unless it is necessary. Necessary travelling includes securing food, medicines, seeking healthcare, getting vaccinated and working.

--A curfew between 21:00 and 04:00.
--The setting up of checkpoints to screen, slowdown or block travelling out of these provinces.
--The number of passengers on all public transportation must be no more than 50 per cent of the vehicle’s capacity. Social distancing must be applied on public transportation.

More details in the link:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30042/new-lockdown-measures-announced-three-more-provinces-under-tight-control/

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

So will we be able to travel from Pattaya to Bangkok AND BACK crossing through deep red provinces or not?

I'm not liking what I'm hearing. 

Is this really worth the risk?

Will drivers agree to take us?

If so how  much extra time for the checkpoints?

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-chonburi-now-deep-red-curfew-travel-restrictions-begin-tuesday-363896

Interprovincial travel also will be further restricted with checkpoints set up on the borders of all deep red provinces to stop all outgoing traffic.

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So will we be able to travel from Pattaya to Bangkok AND BACK crossing through deep red provinces or not?

I'm not liking what I'm hearing. 

Is this really worth the risk?

Will drivers agree to take us?

If so how  much extra time for the checkpoints?

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-chonburi-now-deep-red-curfew-travel-restrictions-begin-tuesday-363896

Interprovincial travel also will be further restricted with checkpoints set up on the borders of all deep red provinces to stop all outgoing traffic.

Without getting  map out to check, I think the drive on the motorway from Pattaya to central Bangkok goes through Chachoengsao and Samut Prakan, which are both dark red provinces, and well as Chonburi and Bangkok, again both dark red. Does this mean going through checkpoints at the border of each province? We know from the experience last year when the idiot mayor tried to cordon Pattaya off from the rest of the world that the Thais are not very good at this sort of stuff and it inevitably results in huge traffic queues. So if there's an hour of queuing at each checkpoint you'll need to allow at least five to six hours for the journey to Phyathai2.

• Like 1