Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

I have done so and I do have a certificate from them for the 22nd. Just as I was typing this reply, I got another SMS that is confirming for the 22nd now. Thank you.

Glad to hear it; you got me all concerned, so I quickly checked my own texts LOL. 

What time is you appointment, and how do you plan to travel to BKK, and what time do you plan to leave Pattaya?

Based on experience of another poster who went in yesterday, it sounds like 2.5 hrs is adequate, and he/she said no traffic delays or checkpoints were encountered.  Just wondering if you've heard anything different.

Edited by WaveHunter

On 7/19/2021 at 10:36 AM, WaveHunter said:

Oh boy, another online registration scheme for expats is in the works, according to the CCSA Spokeswoman...to be released at an "undisclosed time".  Where have I heard that before?

Also stated, in the classically vague sort of way that we've all come to expect from the CCSA, Inter-provincial travel through deep-red zones will now require "prior authorization", whatever the hell that means.  Of course they did not elaborate.  Does anybody have a clue what that means specifically?

I wrote an email to PhyaThai asking if they could elaborate or provide some sort of travel document and am waiting to hear back from them.

Register here for inter provincial travel:

https://covid-19.in.th/move

9 minutes ago, codemonkey said:

Register here for inter provincial travel:

https://covid-19.in.th/move

Only written in Thai on desktop.  If opened on smart phone it is in English BUT it only allows registration with a Thai ID (not passport or Thai drivers license).

The popular consensus is that for the trip in to Bangkok, the Travel Certificate offered by the hospital should be fine and no further document is necessary.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Glad to hear it; you got me all concerned, so I quickly checked my own texts LOL. 

What time is you appointment, and how do you plan to travel to BKK, and what time do you plan to leave Pattaya?

Based on experience of another poster who went in yesterday, it sounds like 2.5 hrs is adequate, and he/she said no traffic delays or checkpoints were encountered.  Just wondering if you've heard anything different.

Appointment is at 14:00, taking a private taxi and leaving at 10AM, should leave me enough time even if they call people early like one person said they did.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Appointment is at 14:00, taking a private taxi and leaving at 10AM, should leave me enough time even if they call people early like one person said they did.

Cool, my appointment is also at 2pm on Friday.  I was planning to go in Thursday and stay overnight at hotel just to avoid possibilities of travel delays / checkpoint issues if I traveled on the day of the appointment...but from what I'm hearing it sounds like there are not such issues, so I think I might just go in on Friday after all.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Cool, my appointment is also at 2pm on Friday.  I was planning to go in Thursday and stay overnight at hotel just to avoid possibilities of travel delays / checkpoint issues if I traveled on the day of the appointment...but from what I'm hearing it sounds like there are not such issues, so I think I might just go in on Friday after all.

I considered that as well but ya doesn't seem like it will be an issue to get there and back.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ohyesuare said:

I considered that as well but ya doesn't seem like it will be an issue to get there and back.

I think I agree.  I'll just be so glad to get this all behind me...finally.  What an ordeal this has all been over the last six weeks just searching for an opportunity to get jabbed!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think I agree.  I'll just be so glad to get this all behind me...finally.  What an ordeal this has all been over the last six weeks just searching for an opportunity to get jabbed!

I agree. Let's hope the second dose will not be as much of an issue.

• Like 1

Just now, Ohyesuare said:

I agree. Let's hope the second dose will not be as much of an issue.

Yes, I sure hope so.  I think does #2 is supposed to be eight weeks later but there seems to be a lot of controversy about that right now within Thailand.  Perhaps by that time, we will be able to get jab #2 here in Pattaya.  Not expecting that to happen, but it would be a pleasant surprise.

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

have travelled up this morning to phyathai2, left Ban Chang on the new 7 extension, at 7.30am, no traffic, no road checks, arrived at hospital 10.30am, that's with a detour to drop off MIL in Bangkok, and a 1/2 hour stop on services, never seen the services so empty, 

same here just arrived! 100% concur.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

my first appointment was also at 2pm and I showed up at 1145 and just queued up and got my jab its first come first served - by 3pm we were back frolicking at Pattaya Beach...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

I went with my friend today and figured I would try to also get the jab today, 5 days ahead of schedule.  I could not.

We arrived at around 1PM for. a 2PM appointment.  We walked into Building A but it is quite easy to cut through to Building B where the registration desk near the Starbucks.  You give them your passport and sit down.  Then they find you about 5-10 minutes later and give back your passport and a number and a form to fill out.   Then when that is filled out you go to 8th floor to get your jab. Think they took his blood pressure upstairs too.

If you get a low number such as 33 you will be getting the AZ,  If a high number such as 604, it is for the Thai's getting Sino.  If for some reason you get a three digit number, I would make sure you are getting the correct jab.   After the jab they keep you there for 20-30 minutes to make sure you don't have a bad reaction then you go home.   He was out before 2 PM feeling fine.  His second jab appointment was for 12 weeks later.

I waited outside on a ledge near the hospital as I don't want to be indoors with lots of people.

Wow...excellent report!  You should be an investigative reporter!  Thank you SO much!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

my first appointment was also at 2pm and I showed up at 1145 and just queued up and got my jab its first come first served - by 3pm we were back frolicking at Pattaya Beach...

Amazing.  So if you were back in Pattaya by 3pm, you must have gotten your shot at Noon??  You did get AZ, correct?

Oh , I forget, did you use Tom's Taxi and drive in this morning?  No traffic delays?  What time did you leave Pattaya?  (Sorry, I can't remember if you went in today or last night.

Edited by WaveHunter

22 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Ok I just checked in at the VIB Best Western which is a 5 mins walk to Phythai 2 as my 2n Vaccine appointment is tomorrow at 1pm and I wanted a relaxed trip and a time buffer in case there are issues along the way.

This morning I got a reminder SMS from the Hospital as well and had my appointment slip ready in case there are checkpoints etc. I used my regular driver which met via Bolt and is now doing the BKK trips for me for a pre-negotiated 1000 Baht plus 180 Baht tolls to the Victory Monument Area where the Hospital is located. I came from Naklua and we took Highway 7 - entire trip took only 1 hour and 20 minutes and there was not a single checkpoint along the way. Absolutely ZERO hassle whatsoever. I also didn't see any checkpoint being setup or anything else that was out of the ordinary and I didn't see any in the opposite direction. Also frankly If there were some checks I am extremely confident that showing my vaccination appointment is more than sufficient to get clearance. So overall the ride was a breeze because it had about 60% of the usual traffic and I am glad I am getting my second shot tomorrow. 

Based on all the positive posts from people who went in today, I think I'm just going to go to BB on Friday morning for my 2pm appt that day, instead of coming on Thursday and staying overnight at the BW.  I plan to arrive at around noon so perhaps I can get an early jab.  

What do you think; any reason it still might be wise to come in on Thu and stay overnight, in your opinion?

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Amazing.  So if you were back in Pattaya by 3pm, you must have gotten your shot at Noon??  You did get AZ, correct?

Oh , I forget, did you use Tom's Taxi and drive in this morning?  No traffic delays?  What time did you leave Pattaya?  (Sorry, I can't remember if you went in today or last night.

Nah I chose Sinovac because I need to travel overseas and need to be fully vaccinated before fly out in 2 weeks which wouldn't had worked with Astra Zeneca as they were spacing the doses to 12 weeks. I am intending to get a MRNA booster shot anyways when overseas so I was not overly concerned with Sinovac unlike many others in this forum. Most likely I will receive Astra Zeneca tomorrow under the new mix and match policy but we'll see.. And yes I read the Thaiger report about the woman that died and will still go ahead. And I left Phyathai at and had my driver waiting in the parking garage thats why I was able to be back at 3pm last time. Today I left Pattaya at 13:07 and was at the VIB which is about 2 mins further out from Phyathai 2 via car at 14:19. I didn't use Toms Taxi but used them before and can highly recommend them.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Based on all the positive posts from people who went in today, I think I'm just going to go to BB on Friday morning for my 2pm appt that day, instead of coming on Thursday and staying overnight at the BW.  I plan to arrive at around noon so perhaps I can get an early jab.  

What do you think; any reason it still might be wise to come in on Thu and stay overnight, in your opinion?

Given what we know now it definitely doesn't seem a necessity - I had some other business matters to take care of so there were other reasons why I went early but I think you will be totally fine if you leave around 10AM and check your Google Maps when you get up on Friday morning to be aware of any traffic jams/checkpoints.

On another note though what I would recommend is to bring hand sanitizer, your N95 mask and maybe even a cloth mask to put on top for the roughly 75 mins in the Hospital given the high infection rates we start to see. Just my two cents...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Nah I chose Sinovac because I need to travel overseas and need to be fully vaccinated before fly out in 2 weeks which wouldn't had worked with Astra Zeneca as they were spacing the doses to 12 weeks. I am intending to get a MRNA booster shot anyways when overseas so I was not overly concerned with Sinovac unlike many others in this forum. Most likely I will receive Astra Zeneca tomorrow under the new mix and match policy but we'll see.. And yes I read the Thaiger report about the woman that died and will still go ahead. And I left Phyathai at and had my driver waiting in the parking garage thats why I was able to be back at 3pm last time. Today I left Pattaya at 13:07 and was at the VIB which is about 2 mins further out from Phyathai 2 via car at 14:19. I didn't use Toms Taxi but used them before and can highly recommend them.

So do you think I'm making a good choice not to bother staying overnight at Best Western on Thursday, and just coming to BKK on Friday morning for my 2pm jab?

Regarding Sinovac, are you sure it is acceptable for entrance into the country you're heading to (as far as avoiding quarantine)?  Frankly I am so confused now about which vaccines are acceptable overseas and which are not.

That aside, it makes sense to not be too concerned about having your first jab be Sinovac if you get AZ tomorrow, since you can get a third (booster) with something like Pfizer once you are overseas (in the real world).

1 minute ago, VaccineHunter said:

Given what we know now it definitely doesn't seem a necessity - I had some other business matters to take care of so there were other reasons why I went early but I think you will be totally fine if you leave around 10AM and check your Google Maps when you get up on Friday morning to be aware of any traffic jams/checkpoints.

On another note though what I would recommend is to bring hand sanitizer, your N95 mask and maybe even a cloth mask to put on top for the roughly 75 mins in the Hospital given the high infection rates we start to see. Just my two cents...

Good advice re start time from Pattaya and also the extra precautions.  I'll be wearing two masks (cloth + N95) for the drive up and for being in the hospital since the N95 probably won't be acceptable to the driver or hospital staff since it really doesn't filter exhaled air.  Hand cleaner will be in my backpack too.

Hey, thanks so much...I really appreciate it!

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Good advice re start time from Pattaya and also the extra precautions.  I'll be wearing two masks (cloth + N95) for the drive up and for being in the hospital since the N95 probably won't be acceptable to the driver or hospital staff since it really doesn't filter exhaled air.  Hand cleaner will be in my backpack too.

Hey, thanks so much...I really appreciate it!

Great strategy with the 2 masks and good luck with your shot! Btw. when you reach the Hospital just walk through the Lobby and then the Vaccination Center is in the Parking Building at the back - just look up for the signs - you can't really miss it. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Great strategy with the 2 masks and good luck with your shot! Btw. when you reach the Hospital just walk through the Lobby and then the Vaccination Center is in the Parking Building at the back - just look up for the signs - you can't really miss it. 

Sounds perfect.  All of you guys who have been so helpful, relating your experiences today are really to be commended!  THIS is what an online forum should be like.  I don't know how many of us would be getting vaccinated right now without that kind of community spirit...so, thanks again! 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, banglay said:

Can any one tell me what the tolls fees are along the 7 to the hospital ??  I would like to have the right amounts handy/ready at  each of the toll booths . 

Cheers

105 + 25 + 50 if you go to PhyaThai 2 - do you need fries with that?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

So do you think I'm making a good choice not to bother staying overnight at Best Western on Thursday, and just coming to BKK on Friday morning for my 2pm jab?

Regarding Sinovac, are you sure it is acceptable for entrance into the country you're heading to (as far as avoiding quarantine)?  Frankly I am so confused now about which vaccines are acceptable overseas and which are not.

That aside, it makes sense to not be too concerned about having your first jab be Sinovac if you get AZ tomorrow, since you can get a third (booster) with something like Pfizer once you are overseas (in the real world).

Yeah I think you will be fine - unless you are willing to "splurge" 1000 bath for peace of mind but since your appointment is at 2pm you will have plenty of buffer in my view and if you use Waze/google maps etc you should be totally - a-ok!

And yes for where I am headed too Sinovac is accepted - given its WHO approved its actually far wider accepted than people think at least to be exempted for quarantine. ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Wave, I think getting the first jab actually in the arm is a great psychological relief after a couple of months of endless letdowns. It means you are in a working system; I specifically wanted Astra - so that is for me an extra positive; I have a second date in a system/hospital that seems to actually work; & in 60 days time I can exit TH & have break from all this bull ***.

• Like 2