Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

10 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Today says July 21-24...so may not receive in time as my appointment at Phyathai 2 is friday at 1400 hours

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i165951675-s203243003.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

Thanks, but I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to not use masks with VALVES. That mask says it has valve.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Without getting  map out to check, I think the drive on the motorway from Pattaya to central Bangkok goes through Chachoengsao and Samut Prakan, which are both dark red provinces, and well as Chonburi and Bangkok, again both dark red. Does this mean going through checkpoints at the border of each province? We know from the experience last year when the idiot mayor tried to cordon Pattaya off from the rest of the world that the Thais are not very good at this sort of stuff and it inevitably results in huge traffic queues. So if there's an hour of queuing at each checkpoint you'll need to allow at least five to six hours for the journey to Phyathai2.

As expected, these new restrictions are incredibly vague and will probably remain so which then leaves things like local government interpretation and police / military interpretation all open to arbitrary and unwarranted enforcement...in other words, a situation that will be F'd Up Beyond ALL Recognition for a road trip through multiple provinces to get into Bangkok from Pattaya and then return !@#$%

Edited by WaveHunter

The US Embassy finally offered to help US expats become vaccinated...and here is how they did it.  You'll love this one!  

With no prior notice  from the Embassy at all,  I woke up Saturday morning around 9am to find this email from the embassy in my inbox.  It was time stamped at 8:28am.  Here's a copy:

2028544485_ScreenShot2021-07-19at11_59_56AM.png.6a24c73e7e811180b83f0a7d9e499b0a.png

By the time I clicked the link which was around 9:15am, the link was no longer active !@#$% 

So, it's safe to assume that the available doses were probably only in the hundreds at most, and probably went to people who were given prior notice before Saturday morning!

So much for our home governments helping us out, even though 1.5 million doses of donated Pfizer fmor the US are on their way to Thailand right now with delivery expected by next week, and no provision for US expats receiving ANY of it! 

I am so ashamed of how my home government is looking out for us, words fail me!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks, but I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to not use masks with VALVES. That mask says it has valve.

Why does this misunderstanding about N95 masks persist?  I provided and detailed explanation including links to science based sources that says they ARE effective and safe not only for the wearer but those in close contact.

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Why does this misunderstanding about N95 masks persist?  I provided and detailed explanation including links to science based sources that says they ARE effective and safe not only for the wearer but those in close contact.

Maybe because they're not all the same? Maybe because they are more sophisticated masks? Maybe because actual medical pros get their N95 CUSTOM FITTED, and what we get are going to be off the shelf? Maybe because we could still be buying fake ones on Lazada no matter how many 5 star reviews. I get it that you're comfortable with all that. Many of us are not. A cloth mask over a medical procedure (usually called surgical mask) is surely better than a poorly fitted N95, I would think. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Today says July 21-24...so may not receive in time as my appointment at Phyathai 2 is friday at 1400 hours

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i165951675-s203243003.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

I think that is the same vendor I bought from (just a different listing).  They were very prompt so you should get it on time. 

I'd be more concerned with the trip at this point with these new vague Covid restrictions announced over the weekend. 

Personally, I think I am going to forego my appointment at Phyathai (also on the 23rd like yours), unless these silly-ass restrictions are clarified because as it stands now, having to cross through several deep-red zone Provinces means you're going to be subjected to all sorts of mis-interpretations of these restrictions or added restrictions by local government officials in each province, and arbitrary or unwarranted enforcement by police and military at road checkpoints.  Sounds like a ClusterF*ck in the making.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The US Embassy finally offered to help US expats become vaccinated...and here is how they did it.  You'll love this one!  

With no prior notice  from the Embassy at all,  I woke up Saturday morning around 9am to find this email from the embassy in my inbox.  It was time stamped at 8:28am.

I reported on this Saturday afternoon.  I heard of this from a friend of mine from the UK at around noon 12:00 Saturday. 

Yes closed by the time I went to the form from the U.S. Embassy website link.

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think that is the same vendor I bought from (just a different listing).  They were very prompt so you should get it on time. 

I'd be more concerned with the trip at this point with these new vague Covid restrictions announced over the weekend. 

Personally, I think I am going to forego my appointment at Phyathai (also on the 23rd like yours), unless these silly-ass restrictions are clarified because as it stands now, having to cross through several deep-red zone Provinces means you're going to be subjected to all sorts of mis-interpretations of these restrictions or added restrictions by local government officials in each province, and arbitrary or unwarranted enforcement by police and military at road checkpoints.  Sounds like a ClusterF*ck in the making.

I'm going to wait and see what develops. I think the taxi companies will be good sources of info about that going forward. They will probably know eventually if these trips are viable or not. However, my booking there is later in the month. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Personally, I think I am going to forego my appointment at Phyathai (also on the 23rd like yours), unless these silly-ass restrictions are clarified because as it stands now,

Up to you.  Am happy to have the appointment.  Been waiting for a vaccine and am not willing to fly back to the U.S. at this point 

If it does go wrong (Bus sits in checkpoints for hours, etc...) will at least be able to say I tried.

Good luck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Up to you.  Am happy to have the appointment.  Been waiting for a vaccine and am not willing to fly back to the U.S. at this point 

If it does go wrong (Bus sits in checkpoints for hours, etc...) will at least be able to say I tried.

Good luck

I think it was posted that bus service is cancelled. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm going to wait and see what develops. I think the taxi companies will be good sources of info about that going forward.

Good point.  I will be checking with Pattaya city hall and a taxi service I know of as well.   May take my Thai friend to the bus station and have her ask a couple drivers as well what delays they experience

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe because they're not all the same? Maybe because they are more sophisticated masks? Maybe because actual medical pros get their N95 CUSTOM FITTED, and what we get are going to be off the shelf? Maybe because we could still be buying fake ones on Lazada no matter how many 5 star reviews. I get it that you're comfortable with all that. Many of us are not. A cloth mask over a medical procedure (usually called surgical mask) is surely better than a poorly fitted N95, I would think. 

No, No, No.  A 3M N-95 mask you buy on Lazada is the same as the ones used by hospital personnel.  There is no "custom" fitting involved.  They all are designed to fit tightly and perfectly seal around the face. 

That's why I said the most important thing in buying one is to make sure it is a genuine 3M product, not a Chinese knockoff.

The surgical masks, on the other hand are NOT designed to stop particles sizes associated with viruses (down to 1 micron).  Only N95 provides that protection (N95 means that it is 95% effective at filtering particles in the range of a virus (down to 0.3 microns).

READ the links I posed yesterday and it will all be very clear to you.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You are correct....just checked pattayabus.com.  Time for plan B 

Pattaya – Ekkamai

DEPARTURE TIMES

06:00 – 09:00 – 12:00 – 15:00 – 17:00

* We do not provide our service from July 21st to August 2nd

Bus fare 119 baht per seat

2 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

I will be going to Phyathai on the 22nd and can update you guys if I encounter any difficulties. A friend of mine will drive me there and back. I don't think it will be as bad as some of you are suggesting here but we'll see on the 22nd...

Thank you, please do report back

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I doubt the doomsday scenarios about several checkpoints on the Highway to Bangkok - in the past I saw one max two of these so called checkpoints and never on Highway 7 only on Sukhumvit and they were usually unmanned or the enforcers were playing on their mobile phones... Have any of you out there actually ever been turned away by anyone?

Edited by VaccineHunter

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm going to wait and see what develops. I think the taxi companies will be good sources of info about that going forward. They will probably know eventually if these trips are viable or not. However, my booking there is later in the month. 

I received an email reply from my driving service on 17 July (Saturday) and they said "No problem", but that was before the announcements I think so I sent them another email and waiting for their reply.

What date is your vax appointment?  Mine is this Friday 23 July.

1 minute ago, VaccineHunter said:

Are you sure - this would be the first time ever during the Pandemic that the Pattaya to Bangkok Bus service would have been cancelled - I highly doubt it to be honest but maybe I am dead wrong.. I also doubt the doomsday scenarios about several checkpoints on the Highway to Bangkok - in the past I saw one max two of these so called checkpoints and never on Highway 7 only on Sukhumvit and they were usually unmanned or the enforcers were playing on their mobile phones... Have any of you out there actually ever been turned away by anyone?

https://pattayabus.com/

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

I will be going to Phyathai on the 22nd and can update you guys if I encounter any difficulties. A friend of mine will drive me there and back. I don't think it will be as bad as some of you are suggesting here but we'll see on the 22nd...

Yes, please do that.  I think I will hold off deciding until the night before my appointment which is 23 July.  Thanks for being the guinea pig ????

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Yes, please do that.  I think I will hold off deciding until the night before my appointment which is 23 July.  Thanks for being the guinea pig ????

All the time and effort you put in to get that booking and you consider to toss it so lightly????

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

You guys really think they will be stopping all cars on major highways to and from Bangkok? I don't, the backup would be monstrous.......

Not all cars, but if yours is the one pulled over, that's all that matters.

For what it's worth if you are 75 or over.  I just saw this post on the PR THAI Facebook page.  Thought I'd post it even though it sounds like a queuing nightmare:

The Director-General of the Department of Information and Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Tanee Sangrat, has provided the following advice for foreigners aged 75 and over who have not yet received any COVID-19 vaccines:

1. Starting 19 July 2021, all foreigners aged 75 and over, who are residing in Thailand and have yet to receive any COVID-19 vaccines, may register for vaccination by walk-in process at the Central Vaccination Center - Bangsue Grand Station every day, between 09:00 and 16:00 hr. Those receiving vaccines must present their passports, as well as proof of residence, e.g. visa, permanent residence card, or work permit on the day of vaccination.

2. Walk-in vaccination is available every day at Gates 2, 3, and 4. Note that Bangsue Grand Station is also being used to vaccinate the general public. COVID-19 preventive measures should, therefore, be strictly observed while traveling to and at the vaccination site.
There is a daily capacity limit for walk-in vaccinations. However, vaccinations will be administered continuously throughout the day, therefore, those receiving vaccines can arrive at the site within opening hours as per their convenience.

3. This arrangement is reserved only for foreigners who have not yet received any shots of vaccines. Those who have already been inoculated with their first shots of vaccines must follow up with their second dose at the vaccination site where they originally received their first dose. The system can detect and will reject those who have already received first doses. There is also currently no vaccine scheme for any booster or third shots available for the general public.

Edited by WaveHunter

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Finally you gotta call me a pig! haha - but yeah - happy to help - ...  I might already go to BKK on the 21st just to be on the safe side if there are delays etc. as my appointment is at 1PM for my second shot. I keep you and everybody else here updated.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Agreed that exactly how I am going to play future trips to BKK. The surviving car hire companies will have presumably have had experience of operating in previous lockdowns & know what is needed to safely get driver/passenger to BKK/airport etc & back to PTY.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Finally you gotta call me a pig! haha - but yeah - happy to help - ...  I might already go to BKK on the 21st just to be on the safe side if there are delays etc. as my appointment is at 1PM for my second shot. I keep you and everybody else here updated.

Glad you have a sense of humor, and didn't take my comment the wrong way ????

Actually your idea of an overnight stay sounds like a smart way to deal with possible travel delays getting into BKK.  I might do the same (sort of like a mini-vacation into Hell).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Not all cars, but if yours is the one pulled over, that's all that matters.

by the way I would also highly recommend to install Googles Waze traffic App which usually shows checkpoint locations as police icons and traffic jams as well as make sure you have Google maps updated with real-time traffic information - that way you can proactively manage your trip and routing and avoid checkpoints to begin with...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1