Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

48 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I'd like to believe that, and you may indeed be proved correct, but the restrictions only go into place today so it's really anyone's guess what will happen. 

Remember, that unlike previous travel restrictions, there is enormous pressure on officials this time to be much more strict, and this will involve a whole host of officials from different provinces, each with the power to interpret restrictions  as they see fit, which can lead to massive traffic delays and inappropriate enforcement.

I'm not so concerned with getting TO the doctor's appointment as I am in getting back home to Pattaya.

Technically, you are not traveling to a doctor's appointment now.  In the eyes of some half-baked enforcement officer, he sees you as only traveling out of Bangkok and into his province, which he has been tasked with not allowing to happen unless you are headed TO a doctor's appointment.  I know it sounds unlikely, but tell me such screw-ups don't happen here on a regular basis...ya know?

I think you will be fine and the risks of the trip far outweigh the benefits of vaccination but as always there are different perspectives and opinions. I will be reporting back tomorrow once have arrived on Bangkok about any checkpoints etc.

• Like 2

According to the Fabulous 103 news channel the CCSA officially stated that ALL surrounding Deep Red Zone provinces surrounding Bangkok (including Chonburi) will now be added to the list of prioritized zones for vaccination, and that will specifically apply to foreigners as well as Thai people in high risk groups.

I can't confirm that since the CCSA only does official briefings in English on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays but if this is actually true, it's pretty good news...assuming it isn't just another ploy to placate foreigners as many of the previous CCSA announcement have been.

Edited by WaveHunter

32 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

No one has reported being hassled or turned away at any checkpoint. 

No on has reported they cannot return to Pattaya.  

Reading Thai news and "orders" regarding interprovincial travel means nothing until someone has experienced problems first hand and reports back.

Yes, this is Thailand, difficult to predict how enforcement will be carried out.  

Those travelling Wednesday and Thursday can give us a real report on what is occurring between BKK-Pattaya

Exactly! Fully agree - let the facts rather than fears dictate action. We are going to get vaccinated what more "bona fide" reasons can it get. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

According to the Fabulous 103 news channel the CCSA officially stated that ALL surrounding Deep Red Zone provinces will now be added to the list of prioritized zones for vaccination, and that will specifically apply to foreigners as well as Thai people in high risk groups.

I can't confirm that since the CCSA only does official briefings in English on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays but if this is actually true, it's pretty good news...assuming it isn't just another ploy to placate foreigners as many of the previous CCSA announcement have been.

I woulnd't take any announcements from the CCSA as more than aspirational intentions at this juncture given their poor track record. At the end of the day Thailand is lacking sufficient amounts of vacccines at this moment and well meaning announcements will not make these magically appear. Of course I could be wrong... Let's hope I am.

8 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

Just got it. Looks official in English and Thai with a seal.

Same here, just a few minutes ago.  And it is ver detailed and official looking listing your home address as well as destination, so all by itself it should be acceptable at any checkpoint.

Based on that and also on news I'm hearing over the last few hours, I fell better than I did this morning about making the trip.

The question now is how much travel delay for getting into Bangkok do we anticipate for Friday? 

My driving service is saying for a 2pm appointment, we should leave Pattaya at 10:30am.  What do you folks think?  

6 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

I woulnd't take any announcements from the CCSA as more than aspirational intentions at this juncture given their poor track record. At the end of the day Thailand is lacking sufficient amounts of vacccines at this moment and well meaning announcements will not make these magically appear. Of course I could be wrong... Let's hope I am.

I certainly don't take anything they say without a lot of suspicion, but it does make sense to focus on surrounding provinces before they wind up the same as Bangkok, and regardless of present vaccine supply, putting focus on ALL surrounding provinces is wise.

Not only that but a lot of vaccines in the pipeline right now will be coming into the Kingdom in the next few weeks, so that should have a positive bearing on things.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

My driving service is saying for a 2pm appointment, we should leave Pattaya at 10:30am.  What do you folks think? 

For peace of mind, I would leave the day before.   But I suspect that leaving at 10:30 will be just fine.

1 minute ago, shortstop2 said:

For peace of mind, I would leave the day before.   But I suspect that leaving at 10:30 will be just fine.

I'm kind of thinking the day before too.  What hotel did you guys book?

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

No one has reported being hassled or turned away at any checkpoint. 

No on has reported they cannot return to Pattaya.  

Reading Thai news and "orders" regarding interprovincial travel means nothing until someone has experienced problems first hand and reports back.

Yes, this is Thailand, difficult to predict how enforcement will be carried out.  

Those travelling Wednesday and Thursday can give us a real report on what is occurring between BKK-Pattaya

Well chances are you will be right BUT today is really the first day these new restrictions are in force so the fact that nobody has yet reported any problems means little.  Honestly I'm hoping for good news, not bad, and I think we won't even have to wait that long to get a good feel for the situation.  Probably by tomorrow it will be pretty clear how well things are going...I hope ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I'm kind of thinking the day before too.  What hotel did you guys book?

If you see my reply from yesterday, I reckon it makes sense to arrive 2 hours early at Pyathai, so aim for 12.00 for a 14.00 appointment. This is because they start jabs up to 1.5 hours early, so IF there are no delays you get jabbed early & if there are delays you have built in a 2 hour buffer.

They have consistently stressed that vaccination appointments are an acceptable reason for intra provincial travel, I don't see you will likely have any issues provided you have official looking pieces of paper - which it looks like Pyathai are providing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VaccineHunter said:

I think you will be fine and the risks of the trip far outweigh the benefits of vaccination but as always there are different perspectives and opinions. I will be reporting back tomorrow once have arrived on Bangkok about any checkpoints etc.

Your report will be very appreciated for sure!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

Alt UHG Nana.  Quite nice but not expensive. Nice breakfast too.

Alt UHG Nana

How come you picked that hotel?  Perhaps you've stayed there before?  It's pretty far away from Phyathai 2 though, and Agoda shows similar quality and price far closer.  Just curious ????

You do know it is Phyathai 2, not Phyathai 1, right?

Edited by WaveHunter

MedPark Hospital on Rama 4 Road in Bangkok is giving  free AstraZeneca vaccinations in early August. I have completed the online application and received confirmation from the hospital. I don't have the link so I would imagine a google search will provide you with one.  You can sign up and reserve a time on their website. Passport is the only ID required. I have reserved  date and  time in early August.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

If you see my reply from yesterday, I reckon it makes sense to arrive 2 hours early at Pyathai, so aim for 12.00 for a 14.00 appointment. This is because they start jabs up to 1.5 hours early, so IF there are no delays you get jabbed early & if there are delays you have built in a 2 hour buffer.

They have consistently stressed that vaccination appointments are an acceptable reason for intra provincial travel, I don't see you will likely have any issues provided you have official looking pieces of paper - which it looks like Pyathai are providing. 

Yes, you provided some really great information about their likelihood to allow earlier than booked injection time, so that was most appreciated.

Also I was greatly relieved to see the "travel certificate" offered by Phyathai.  It looks totally official and is written in both English and Thai, even providing your home address so the trip back to Pattaya should meet all checkpoint needs I'm guessing.

All told, it sounds like Phyathai is really handling all of this in a super-professional manner, which is pretty impressive considering the screw ups from Pattaya Memorial and BHP.  And I know nothing of what to expect from Med Park...so, I think I'd feel pretty foolish to pass up the vax at Phyathai now.

I think I may just travel up to BKK the night before and stay overnight at a hotel just to take the stress out of the trip up as suggested by @shortstop2, which was great advice IMO.

Thanks to both of you for really providing some real actionable info to all of us...most appreciated for sure.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

How come you picked that hotel?  Perhaps you've stayed there before?  It's pretty far away from Phyathai 2 though, and Agoda shows similar quality and price far closer.  Just curious ????

You do know it is Phyathai 2, not Phyathai 1, right?

I stayed there twice before and liked it.  Nice room, good bed, good brekkie, and the intangible of really nice, helpful staff.  Small pool and gym.  Excellent wifi.

Can get to Phyathai 2 by BTS or Bolt quite easily.

My friend and I are going via BTS tomorrow.  I will go too on the slim chance they will take me too despite my appointment being days later.  It might be in their interest to take me early if they have free time.  Not holding my breath though.

36 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

MedPark Hospital on Rama 4 Road in Bangkok is giving  free AstraZeneca vaccinations in early August. I have completed the online application and received confirmation from the hospital. I don't have the link so I would imagine a google search will provide you with one.  You can sign up and reserve a time on their website. Passport is the only ID required. I have reserved  date and  time in early August.

Now closed for bookings.

It was open for numerous days though unlike the insane few minutes lottery for Phayathai 2.

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en/page/covid19-vaccine-expats

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

I stayed there twice before and liked it.  Nice room, good bed, good brekkie, and the intangible of really nice, helpful staff.  Small pool and gym.  Excellent wifi.

Can get to Phyathai 2 by BTS or Bolt quite easily.

My friend and I are going via BTS tomorrow.  I will go too on the slim chance they will take me too despite my appointment being days later.  It might be in their interest to take me early if they have free time.  Not holding my breath though.

Nice ????.  I think I'll book closer, but I can understand staying somewhere you've already stayed before.

Looking forward to your report tomorrow ????

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Nice ????.  I think I'll book closer, but I can understand staying somewhere you've already stayed before.

Looking forward to your report tomorrow ????

i have booked Vīb Best Western,  Sanam Pao, about 150 metres from Phyathai2, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

You'd be there at 12.15 at the latest leaving at 10.30, there's not a lot of traffic at the moment.

18 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I was looking at that on Agoda just now.  Have you ever stayed there before?

no but its a best western, breakfast is served in room in a box, booked direct 999thb, car parking and a walk to hospital, staying the night of the jab, don't like driving in the dark anymore.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

no but its a best western, breakfast is served in room in a box, booked direct 999thb, car parking and a walk to hospital, staying the night of the jab, don't like driving in the dark anymore.

Yeah I checked all hotels around Phyathai and BW sounds best.  I will book in morning after my driving service confirms they can change my trip from Friday to Thursday.

If your appointment was so late that you had to drive back in the dark, you'd probably have an issue with arriving home before 9pm curfew, so I guess you'd have no choice but to stay another night.

However, another poster said he was offered a jab at Thyathai two hours earlier than his appointed time...so you might want to show up early and possibly get your jab earlier than expected and save yourself the cost & time of another nights stay in Bangkok.  Just a thought ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

My vaccine appointment is supposed to be tomorrow but I just received another SMS saying it's on July 20th which was yesterday. Anyone else get this?

That must be an error (I hope, for your sake).  Contact them immediately by email; they are very quick to respond to emails sent to [email protected].

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

That must be an error (I hope, for your sake).  Contact them immediately by email; they are very quick to respond to emails sent to [email protected].

I have done so and I do have a certificate from them for the 22nd. Just as I was typing this reply, I got another SMS that is confirming for the 22nd now. Thank you.

• Like 1