If one gets the Sinovac vaccine ...

Oxx

On 5/1/2021 at 12:56 PM, Sheryl said:

Actually if you are able to get vaccinated here it will likely be AZ not Sinovac.

Sinovac is being used just as a temporary measure until AZ is available. Ukess you live at ground zero of a hot spot you are unlikely to be offered Sinovac,

Yesterday it was announced that Sinovac will also be used for those over 60. Up to now, it was Sinovac under 60, AZ over 60.

Personally, I think it's very obvious that if (that's a big IF) you get vaccinated here in June it will be Sinovac. I hope the future will prove me wrong. 

In the long run, it will be AZ (for obvious reasons).

Maybe just me but I’m just thinking that if you truly doubt the safety of a particular vaccine....don’t get it at all.

There seem to be problems for a few people with all the vaccines but some people can’t tolerate penicillin either....medical staff always ask about allergies to a medication before you get a shot no matter what it is!

Gather scientific info as best you can and make a decision yes or no

Note: (stay away from the “ECHO CHAMBERS” where those that have biased unscientific opinions rather than facts go to hear themselves...they’re a dangerous influence)

10 minutes ago, Brad Grier said:

Maybe just me but I’m just thinking that if you truly doubt the safety of a particular vaccine....don’t get it at all.

That may not be easy. 

There is not much choice in Thailand. 

Some medical staff here were given the possibility to refuse 2 times,  thereafter it would be obligatory.

For foreigners,  airlines and immigration requirements in other countries will, at some point, force them to get a vaccine.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 12:40 PM, Sheryl said:

i haven't heard this and don't know why it would be so,

No guarantee mRNA vaccines wil lever be available in Thailand and even less guarantee you can specify what vaccine you get anytime in the forseeable future.

COVID-19 vaccines and kidney disease

Nature Reviews Nephrology volume 17pages291–293(2021)Cite this article

Patients with kidney diseases should be prioritized for COVID-19 vaccination and the available data suggest that replication-defective viral-vectored vaccines and mRNA vaccines are safe to use. As vaccine responses are likely to be lower in patients with kidney diseases than in the general population, highly potent vaccines should be preferred.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 12:56 PM, Sheryl said:

I am in this dilemma myself though with a twist in that I am going to the US in July. I can get Pfizer or Moderna in US easily enough but may also have the chance to get AZ in Thailand first (though probably only the first injection not the second unless things start up sooner than I think they will).

I would rather have Pfizer or Moderna. But I would also rather be immunized before getting on a long international flight. And I will face recommended self-isolation and other restrictions in the US if I arrive unvaccinated.

I am in similar situation, but leaning towards taking the risk of not being vaccinated before flight and additional restrictions upon arrival because of enhanced safety/efficacy of Pfizer or Moderna shot, including at preventing transmission, and possible future travel or other problems associated with Sinovac and AstraZeneca being not recognized or stopped for use in some countries; same with mix-and-match regimen.