Wanted American arrested for murdering pregnant wife in northern Thailand

30 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You must be, but then again I have been here 31 years and seen more than most. 

Knew two guys that were murdered by their Thai wives, met another guy that killed his Philippine maid (used to own bars in Bangkok), met a human trafficker that was prolific on the internet forums (here and another one) until his downfall and escape to Cambodia where he still resides I believe....

Just the other week I met another convicted criminal who served time back in Scotland...

So yeh, having worked in the Asia Pac region for thirty odd years I would say Thailand does seem to attract them, and Cambodia too now unfortunately, more than other places. 

Ive only been here 25 years, so maybe it's those 6 years that makes the difference.

But actually I do recall a bar-owner from Patpong (like 20 years ago), kept insisting that he was working undercover for the FBI.

I think it would be better if I met up with you - then you can tell me all the stories - and I have an excuse to drink for at least a week straight ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I think it sets a precedent on what this government finds acceptable, and sends a clear message to foreign criminals about what is acceptable and they can get away with here.

Thailand has long been a haven for these types on the run and will continue to be so as long as the locals keep making it so.

It wouldn't happen if they simply didn't allow convicted violent criminals to enter the country. All it would take is a law.

They've got enough of their own criminals to deal with rather than allow more into the country.  Dealing with their own criminals is another issue altogether.

1 minute ago, garet said:

It wouldn't happen if they simply didn't allow convicted violent criminals to enter the country. All it would take is a law.

They've got enough of their own criminals to deal with rather than allow more into the country.  Dealing with their own criminals is another issue altogether.

There are already laws saying if you are a foreigner convicted of serious crimes you cannot visit Thailand, however as with most other laws it is ignored and/or never enforced.

Bottom line is that no Western nation in its right mind is going to share sensitive information with this country and Thailand is not about to ask every Western visitor to produce a criminal background check. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

so he was arrested in 2019 in the usa for murder and in the same year he came to thailand. 

Not quite - he was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder (and a whole bunch of other stuff). All the charges except for a charge of 3rd degree assault were later dropped because the witness couldn't testify, and he was given probation.

10 hours ago, mstevens said:

Having been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in the USA, this guy is a great example of why Thailand should do further background checks on people who wish to stay in the country long-term (in the same way a Thai who wished to stay long-term in my country would need to provide a police check from Thailand). If something like this guy's past comes up in a background check then he simply shouldn't be allowed to set foot on Thai soil.

hope they did one on you

9 hours ago, starky said:

Well bail would imply he still hasn't faced court which is even worse. Hard to imagine someone getting bail on that laundry list or charges. 

He may have been trying to get to the US Embassy in Chiang Mai, so he could be sent back to the US and avoid doing time in Thai prison, when he was caught. 

10 hours ago, mstevens said:

Having been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in the USA, this guy is a great example of why Thailand should do further background checks on people who wish to stay in the country long-term (in the same way a Thai who wished to stay long-term in my country would need to provide a police check from Thailand). If something like this guy's past comes up in a background check then he simply shouldn't be allowed to set foot on Thai soil.

I had to produce a clean Federal Police criminal record to get my O-A visa.

I was rewarded by being in the only category singled out for the new, compulsory, bogus insurance.

I should have just rocked up to the border without a visa. That's how all the criminal scumbags get to stay long term.

14 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Another foreign criminal some how makes it into Thailand. How many thousands more of various criminal types are hiding in Thailand? Thai Immigration makes it next to impossible at times to deal with a simple expat retirement/marriage visa yet somehow with all the bureaucracy red tape and hoop jumping guys like this are far more common than you think.

Thank you. I just don’t get it. 
how do people with records from countries with well document records which are open to International authorities travel so freely? 
What’s the point of the records? 
Immigration sweats people with clean records and let morons like this through? 
Protect your people for Christ’s sake. 
 How was this lady supposed to know that she was sharing a home with an attempted murderer? How? 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Another foreign criminal some how makes it into Thailand. How many thousands more of various criminal types are hiding in Thailand? Thai Immigration makes it next to impossible at times to deal with a simple expat retirement/marriage visa yet somehow with all the bureaucracy red tape and hoop jumping guys like this are far more common than you think.

And just how do you think such people could be stopped from entering Thailand?  Note, he was arrested and charged in the USA, there is no report of him being convicted. If this guy is a murderer and is dangerous, he's just as dangerous in the USA as he is in Thailand. Does it matter where a crime is committed? Surely its the crime that needs to be prevented, not the location it took place in? Is a crime committed in Thailand any worse than a crime committed in the USA

Are you saying that anyone with a criminal record should be banned? Technically, those who have committed a significant offence are already banned from Thailand but no checks are ever done. However, if you think enforcing such a ban will prevent foreigners from committing crimes in the country, you are wrong. There are no doubt millions of people in the world who are capable of violent/serious crime but have never been convicted, how do you stop them from travelling - impossible.

There are thousands of domestic murders in Thailand every year, do you think it will be a safer place to live if foreigners with a criminal record are banned?  How many murders are carried out by foreigners?

Crime is a fact of life - that's why we need laws, a police force and punishment. You won't stop it by banning people from travelling, you just transfer the places it takes place.

Sadly, the reality is that, there is very little that can be done to prevent these incidents from taking place. They will continue to be committed, both by those with a criminal record and those who appear impeccable.

• Confused 1

Over a day and not even a page of replies (as opposed to 5 here) to essentially the same story of domestic murder. The only difference is the roles are reversed. (Also curious why the news editors put the Pattaya story in the Pattaya Sub-Forum but the Chiang Mai story in the main News Sub-Forum and not the Chiang Mai Sub-Forum?) 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Thailand has always been a sunny pleace for shady people.

Speak for yourself! 

If the truth be known, there are probably more honest Westeners living here than crooks. At least that is the case in my circle of friends. 

Thailand needs to have a system to keep out foreign undesirables with criminal records.  Such a pity that the Constitutional Court has just set a precedent that foreign criminal records, even in the cases of heroin smugglers, should be disregarded as irrelevant.

2 hours ago, DavCurtis said:

Protect your people for Christ’s sake. 

Yes, there's no murderers in Thailand - only foreigners commit murder. Now where have I heard that before?????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, djayz said:

If the truth be known, there are probably more honest Westeners living here than crooks. At least that is the case in my circle of friends. 

Any one of your friends could become a criminal at any time, people aren't born with a criminal record - any suggestions on how to locate the ones that will commit a crime at some point?

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Over a day and not even a page of replies (as opposed to 5 here) to essentially the same story of domestic murder.

That woman should be banned from Thailand ????

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Any one of your friends could become a criminal at any time, people aren't born with a criminal record - any suggestions on how to locate the ones that will commit a crime at some point?

Well of course anybody can commit a crime at any time.

The point I was trying to make is that not expat here has a shady past, the majority of which are probably law-abiding citizens, contrary to what many posters here have written.

What's your point? 

35 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Over a day and not even a page of replies (as opposed to 5 here) to essentially the same story of domestic murder. The only difference is the roles are reversed. (Also curious why the news editors put the Pattaya story in the Pattaya Sub-Forum but the Chiang Mai story in the main News Sub-Forum and not the Chiang Mai Sub-Forum?) 

There is one big difference, this is Thai on Thai.

Us foreigners reply a lot more on crimes where foreigners are involved in.

The point here is that, if for example, every country stopped its citizens with criminal records from travelling and they were forced to leave countries where they now live - the result would be what? Zero!  There will be Thai's living in the USA that have committed crimes just as there are US citizens living in Thailand.  I know, let's lock 'em all up for life, that'll fix it.

• Confused 1