Wanted American arrested for murdering pregnant wife in northern Thailand

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Keep him in a Thai prison for 50 years and send him back to the US when he is 82. I imagine a poor, homeless 82 year old wont have a good life in the US streets. (or we hope not)

He can set up a tent in San Francisco 

Wow. Strange story on him.

Looking around on the Internet, found some Facebook profiles, his Linkedin, and some news stories from his hometown.

He appears to had a Masters degree in CompSci. He lists IBM has a recent employer, He then lists himself as CEO of a company that did some sort of computer video and VR work. 

One article I read suggested that the woman who accused him of attempted murder was in fact his Thai wife. 

How do you go from a professional life to hanging out with lowlifes and getting arrested for felony possession of firearms? The guy he was arrested with looks like MS-13 or something. One article also says that the wife got mad at him because he bought a motorcycle, which led to the argument and murder. That would be the motorcycle that he fled to Chiang Mai on.

I just wonder how the guy could have these two criminal charges and not be supervised by the courts. Didn't they know he had skipped? They should have traced him and let the Thais know he was on the run. Strange story.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:45 PM, impulse said:

Apparently, he was arrested again in December of 2020 and was out on bail...

Lots of information on another thread.  In fact, I don't understand why they started this one.

Why start this one? It's sounds like the old Aussie folk song about sheep and shearing. 

I wonder why when you go to USA you have to undergo a full police screening and if you have even the most stupid charge like DUI or marjuana possession when you were 18 years old you will be denied the visa but USA themselves let their scumbags, convicted pedophiles and murderers go around with a fresh passport even if they are on bail ... 

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DavCurtis said:

How was this lady supposed to know that she was sharing a home with an attempted murderer? How? 

It now emerges that she was (almost certainly) the woman he was accused of attempting to murder back in 2019 in Colorado and the reason he was able to get off on only 3rd degree assault charges was because she'd gone back  to Thailand and didn't want to return to testify against him.

See news story below.

US citizen charged with murder

"... a spokesperson for the 20th Judicial District Attorney's Office, Shannon Carbone, said the victim in the domestic violence case and the woman killed in Thailand have the same name and appear to be the same person based on photographs ..."

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe for an offence where you got 5 years reduced to 2 years ......... but murder?

If they have enough proof why would you deny it ? Do you really think you get off or a lesser sentence if you fight it. 

Id fight it if there was no evidence and I was not guilty. If I am guilty and they have proof there is no point in fighting it.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It now emerges that she was (almost certainly) the woman he was accused of attempting to murder back in 2019 in Colorado and the reason he was able to get off on only 3rd degree assault charges was because she'd gone back  to Thailand and didn't want to return to testify against him.

See news story below.

US citizen charged with murder

"... a spokesperson for the 20th Judicial District Attorney's Office, Shannon Carbone, said the victim in the domestic violence case and the woman killed in Thailand have the same name and appear to be the same person based on photographs ..."

Tragic tale indeed.

But it never fails to amaze me why women, after suffering domestic abuse, and in this case almost deadly domestic abuse still go back to these guys.

We can only speculate on whether, if she had returned to the US to testify against him, he would have been convicted of the attempted 2nd degree murder charge and would still be banged up in a Colorado prison., rather than taking him back with all it's fatal outcome

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

But it never fails to amaze me why women, after suffering domestic abuse, and in this case almost deadly domestic abuse still go back to these guys.

It's because they're attracted to thuggish dangerous men.

If they weren't nice computer geeks would get all the girls.

No woman wants to have sex with a nice man.

Edited by BritManToo

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's because they're attracted to thuggish dangerous men.

If they weren't nice computer geeks would get all the girls.

No woman wants to have sex with a nice man.

I'd like to think thats not true

I'm a pretty good guy, a geek in point of fact, never raised my hand in anger to any woman, let alone worse.

I 'think' my sex life has been OK, never thought of turning into an INCEL at least.

So of course you are right some women are attracted to the bad boy, and thinking about it if all teenage girls refused to have sex with the bad boys, I guarantee you male culture would change in a heartbeat!

But human nature is what it is, but good women do have sex with good guys, even bad women with good guys!

But I'm still confused about why any woman would put up with violence

There may be more to this than meets the eye. We know that he was in the US on 30/12/2020, so he would not have reached Thailand until January at the earliest. We also know that she was 4 months pregnant at the time of her murder at thre beginning of May. This would suggest that he was not the father. Maybe when he arrived in Nan he found this out, tried to throw her out of the house he had bought for them, and she had refused to go. Not a reason for murdering her, I admit, but it would  go some way to explaining his actions, making it not quite as cold-blooded as most are suggesting.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jiggo said:

May be justice will be done on the inside

This happened in Ubon a few years back. Expat came home stinking drunk, demanding sex from his wife who slept on the floor. After she refused he kicked her to death. Then while in the Ubon prison, he somehow managed to fall off the roof. Official report, "he was trying to escape". Oops.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, katana said:

Footage of his arrest.

Remorse and regret, the emotions which guide most normal people into living decent lives.

When you're a child you're guided by these emotions. You might decide to steal a toy from the daycare center, but then see the other children upset about why it's missing the next day. You might get angry with a classmate, decide to get physical, but then see them crying in pain, both physical and mental, as they wonder how their friend could've done that to them. These emotions are what keep most people from doing such things again.

But look at this guy. Having brutally murdered his wife and child, he's out playing around with drones. Absolutely no remorse. Trying to go ahead with living in Thailand as if nothing has happened. Yet from his reaction you can see he knows why they've come, and isn't trying to deny it.

I've unfortunately had family members like this. Not murderers mind you, but have had repeated run ins with the law, to which their families felt sorry for and blew tens of thousands on bailing them out, getting them lawyers, paying their fines, over and over. And after all that, similar to this guy, no remorse. They did nothing wrong. It was always everyone else out to get them.

I dunno what to do with such people. But the reason it seems to continue, is that they continue being enabled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This happened in Ubon a few years back. Expat came home stinking drunk, demanding sex from his wife who slept on the floor. After she refused he kicked her to death. Then while in the Ubon prison, he somehow managed to fall off the roof. Official report, "he was trying to escape". Oops.

Happened to an expat who used to drink in a well known pub in Jomtien, same story may be same incident... 

8 hours ago, Abmong said:

Well that's one way to gain permanent residency Thailand... At his majesty's pleasure

I wonder if he'll take advantage of the opportunity to become fluent in Thai and maybe even get a pink card. 

Anyway, glad they caught him but it sounds like he didn't make that very hard.

Edited by Jingthing

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I wonder if he'll take advantage of the opportunity to become fluent in Thai and maybe even get a pink card. 

Anyway, glad they caught him but it sounds like he didn't make that very hard.

Maybe he's hoping the US will want him extradited back and I think Thailand should send him back in about 20 or 30 years 

I rarely let outside events affect me, but this story has really affected me. I am so sad for the victim & her family. I am also disappointed in the US justice system for not putting this man away for his crimes. My wife & I have been watching all the TV news coverage and interviews with family, friends, neighbors and authorities and I want to comment on what I feel is incorrect reporting by some news print media. As per family, friends, neighbors & authorities:

- The house was a rental, the family was seen on local TV packing up everything to move the victim's stuff out of the house, so she wasn't kicking him out of a house that he bought her (as per the Mother)

- He killed her in the bed, so she wasn't chasing him out of the house (as per the husband during reenactment and per Thai authorities)

- He was arrested in the US for attempted murder against her, but the charges were reduced after she left and moved back to Thailand, so she wasn't available to testify (as per the US authorities)

- He didn't move to Thailand until this year, after he posted bail for his latest arrest on gun charges, after which he fled the US to Thailand as a fugitive (as per the family & Thai authorities)

- He had a bad temper, was always yelling and arguing with the wife and they heard him yelling the night of the killing (as per neighbors)

- It appears that the husband knew the wife was pregnant, because the wife called the Mother when she found out, and the Mother came over and talked with both of them at that time (as per the Mother)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions & suppositions, but it's pretty clear to me that this man was a very bad person and the victim paid the ultimate price. The victim made a bad choice by letting this man back into her life after being assaulted by him in the US. I hope others will learn from this story...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stupooey said:

There may be more to this than meets the eye. We know that he was in the US on 30/12/2020, so he would not have reached Thailand until January at the earliest. We also know that she was 4 months pregnant at the time of her murder at thre beginning of May. This would suggest that he was not the father. Maybe when he arrived in Nan he found this out, tried to throw her out of the house he had bought for them, and she had refused to go. Not a reason for murdering her, I admit, but it would  go some way to explaining his actions, making it not quite as cold-blooded as most are suggesting.

According to the Amarin TV News piece that was linked to earlier, she was only two months pregnant.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:04 PM, holy cow cm said:

Don't Thai's get out only in a few years or so? Or depending on the circumstance?

Yep the sentences are generally light here for murder. Helped by the fact that if you behave in there, you get 2 years off your sentence every year for the king and queens birthdays ! So even a long sentence is eaten up in no time. 

6 hours ago, Zollus said:

I rarely let outside events affect me, but this story has really affected me. I am so sad for the victim & her family. I am also disappointed in the US justice system for not putting this man away for his crimes. My wife & I have been watching all the TV news coverage and interviews with family, friends, neighbors and authorities and I want to comment on what I feel is incorrect reporting by some news print media. As per family, friends, neighbors & authorities:

- The house was a rental, the family was seen on local TV packing up everything to move the victim's stuff out of the house, so she wasn't kicking him out of a house that he bought her (as per the Mother)

- He killed her in the bed, so she wasn't chasing him out of the house (as per the husband during reenactment and per Thai authorities)

- He was arrested in the US for attempted murder against her, but the charges were reduced after she left and moved back to Thailand, so she wasn't available to testify (as per the US authorities)

- He didn't move to Thailand until this year, after he posted bail for his latest arrest on gun charges, after which he fled the US to Thailand as a fugitive (as per the family & Thai authorities)

- He had a bad temper, was always yelling and arguing with the wife and they heard him yelling the night of the killing (as per neighbors)

- It appears that the husband knew the wife was pregnant, because the wife called the Mother when she found out, and the Mother came over and talked with both of them at that time (as per the Mother)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions & suppositions, but it's pretty clear to me that this man was a very bad person and the victim paid the ultimate price. The victim made a bad choice by letting this man back into her life after being assaulted by him in the US. I hope others will learn from this story...

I hold my head in my hands when I read these stories, and unfortunately it's not only Thailand .

If this poor woman had only gone back to the US to testify against this guy, he would still be banged up for attempted murder for the next 20 years in a US prison

But she didn't, and decided that 'but he loves me', took him back and the results of that bad decision ended up fatal.

I still can't get my head around why these women in the face of obvious and awful violence go back to these guys, knowing full well what they are capable of.

She escaped the first almost fatal event, only to put herself in further danger.

I'm in no way trying to blame the victim, but Dear Lord wake up and smell the roses!

Edited by GinBoy2

1 hour ago, Bruntoid said:

Yep the sentences are generally light here for murder. Helped by the fact that if you behave in there, you get 2 years off your sentence every year for the king and queens birthdays ! So even a long sentence is eaten up in no time. 

Not to mention that if you volunteer to go out and clean the infested sewers, you get even more time off. But unfortunately that will also take time off of your real life. If you have ever seen them doing it in Bangkok then you will know what I mean. Gross!