Thailand reports over 2,101 COVID-19 cases, 17 new deaths

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

This will not only cover the 60 million population but will leave doses to spare, the PM said.

so they expect 9mln Thais to die by that time, plus all vaccinated will require a 6 month boost shot, which of cause nobody counted

Edited by MasterBaker
  • Confused 1

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158004232297050

The World Health Organization (WHO) has given emergency use authorization to the COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by China’s Sinopharm.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the WHO gave Emergency Use Listing to Sinopharm's COVID-19 vaccine, making it the sixth vaccine to receive WHO validation for safety, efficacy and quality.

11 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

not wanting to be negative/pessimist but hoping the India strain doesn't make it thru the cracks as it's a very bad/ deadly strain

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/a36232744/what-is-triple-mutant-variant-coronavirus/

One SARS-CoV-2 variant found in India has been dubbed the "triple mutant variant."

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/covids-new-epicentre-india-ravaged-by-double-mutant-strain-and-100000-new-cases-a-day/news-story/2648b497600c73d5e126335791164f58

As a “double mutant” strain of COVID and easing restrictions has seen daily cases top 100,000, India is now the new global epicentre for the virus.

You're not being a pessimist at all. Look at the daily numbers now in India, over 400,000 a day getting infected and 4000 a day dying. Absolutely we need to keep this out of Thailand

12 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/covids-new-epicentre-india-ravaged-by-double-mutant-strain-and-100000-new-cases-a-day/news-story/2648b497600c73d5e126335791164f58

As a “double mutant” strain of COVID and easing restrictions has seen daily cases top 100,000, India is now the new global epicentre for the virus.

This article is more than a month old, daily cases are now 400,000. Shows how infectious this virus is.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

PHUKET: The rush to roll out the mass vaccination of people using the Chinese-made Sinovac Biotech vaccine ‘CoronaVac’ has come home to roost in the Seychelles, the world-famous island tourist destination that Phuket officials have used as an example to follow.

This past week authorities in the Seychelles have ordered schools closed and a raft of other emergency provisions to try halt the spread of COVID-19 infections that has ripped through the island nation, which recorded close to 500 new cases in the three days to 1 May among a population of just under 100,000.

The same has happened in Chile and Turkey, which also both used the Sinovac vaccine for their mass-vaccination campaigns.

The is no reason to believe that Phuket will fare any better

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-falling-into-the-seychelles-sinovac-hole-79946.php

Hi, yes no reason at all to believe it can work and for sure extreme caution needed if a move were to be made. The authorities still seem intent on a start in July.

As for the vaccine rollout alluded to in your post, to date Chile has vaccinated just under 40% of the population and Turkey just under 15%.

As for Seychelles,  it is around 62% vaccinated but with a percentage of AZ as well as Sinovac which throws a slightly different light on it 

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You're not being a pessimist at all. Look at the daily numbers now in India, over 400,000 a day getting infected and 4000 a day dying. Absolutely we need to keep this out of Thailand

It's not any more deadly...4000 is one-percent of 400k; it's right in the predicted virus mortality rate.

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's not any more deadly...4000 is one-percent of 400k; it's right in the predicted virus mortality rate.

I have no idea, I never said it was, but saying that do we know the true death toll in India?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

This article is more than a month old, daily cases are now 400,000. Shows how infectious this virus is.

I was not posting about daily cases but about the power of the strain, thus we agree it  is very infectious

• Like 1

The WHO has said it could reach a decision on China's other main COVID-19 vaccine, made by Sinovac Biotech, next week. The technical experts reviewed it on Wednesday.

Sinopharm was given emergency approval

Sinovac Biotech : WHO gives emergency approval to first Chinese COVID-19 vaccine, Sinopharm | MarketScreener

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/SINOVAC-BIOTECH-LTD-5714593/news/Sinovac-Biotech-nbsp-WHO-gives-emergency-approval-to-Sinopharm-first-Chinese-COVID-19-vaccine-33196612/

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I have no idea, I never said it was, but saying that do we know the true death toll in India?

Sorry...I meant to quote member Mavidael, who said:

"not wanting to be negative/pessimist but hoping the India strain doesn't make it thru the cracks as it's a very bad/ deadly strain"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I was not posting about daily cases but about the power of the strain, thus we agree it  is very infectious

You posted "has seen daily cases top 100,000" 

Forgive me for thinking that you were posting about daily cases. ????

11 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Hi, yes no reason at all to believe it can work and for sure extreme caution needed if a move were to be made. The authorities still seem intent on a start in July.

As for the vaccine rollout alluded to in your post, to date Chile has vaccinated just under 40% of the population and Turkey just under 15%.

As for Seychelles,  it is around 62% vaccinated but with a percentage of AZ as well as Sinovac which throws a slightly different light on it 

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Hi yes I'm aware, actually it was not my post but a direct quote from the article. However I agree with you entirely aside from the fact that AZ has been extremely effective in the UK and other countries, so the likelihood of it being a contributing factor would shoot in the face of other world evidence.

Just read an article in the BP of 5 Thai nationals being caught sneaking back into the country at borders.  They have also been found to be covid positive. The article indicates the authorities are quite worried.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Hi yes I'm aware, actually it was not my post but a direct quote from the article. However I agree with you entirely aside from the fact that AZ has been extremely effective in the UK and other countries, so the likelihood of it being a contributing factor would shoot in the face of other world evidence.

Initial quality tests on the AZ vaccine produced here look promising. We cannot afford any last minute mishaps and as I and others see vaccination as a way out, or the way out, let's cross everything for a successful roll out! Of course, Pfizer, Moderna and J&J would be a big help too ????. Just stating the obvious I guess but I wake every day waiting for good news about Covid in Thailand for me and many families

7 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

On this forum?

Don't know about that. However, and you may find this hard to believe, but there are people questioning the effectiveness of the AZ and Sinovac vaccine in preventing hospitalization and death, despite a number of studies showing otherwise. Spreading that kind of falsehood is dangerous and illegal. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RobMuir said:

This B117 UK highly contagious mutant strain has really caught them on the back foot. 

Quadrupled the numbers in 6 weeks from the previous 16 months.

Tragic.

Some would have us believe that it all suddenly started with four/five nightclubs.

I wonder if His Majesty Dottor. Yong understood how this variant entered in the Land of the Thais.

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Don't know about that. However, and you may find this hard to believe, but there are people questioning the effectiveness of the AZ and Sinovac vaccine in preventing hospitalization and death, despite a number of studies showing otherwise. Spreading that kind of falsehood is dangerous and illegal. 

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Totally agree with you. All our staff have had the Sinovac vaccine (2 doses with little or no side effects) and I, as a foreigner, have to wait of course....

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again your trolling and trying to bait someone on a public form where we discuss our views and opinions as we see them with the numbers published.  No where is their any fear-mongering posted in the post you quoted, but the post simply states what the numbers shown daily show and continue to show as we move forward.  If you think what we discuss is fear mongering well then you can block me as well.  Good night.

I am not trolling.  Brian has not provided any first-hand data that the current situation is a major outbreak.  There are some of you who are irrationally afraid of COVID and may be trying to whip up a frenzy of concern.  The important thing is to be calm and objectively analyze the situation -- which is what I am appealing for.  If you don't like rationale arguments, you can block me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

What sad is that we still hear from those who claim masks are ineffective and social distancing and lockdowns don't work.

Another sad thing is we still see people try to make social pariahs of people with differing opinions if you wish to do those things you are more than welcome that is your choice just don't try and take my choice away from me.One such measure is making it illegal for Australian citizens to return from strife torn India with gaol terms and large fines being threatened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1