Thailand reports over 2,101 COVID-19 cases, 17 new deaths

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

However, how many get a Covid test, and then die from something else within 28 days?  Normally, that’s a 28 in a million possibility.

1 in 1068.

Based on an average lifetime of 82 years for men and women

Edited by rabas

5 hours ago, Petey11 said:

None of these are credible sources or discuss overall death tolls, one talks about a few deaths in Britian last week. That ref is duplicated.

However, it's a moot point because real death tolls, not recored deaths, estimated by experts are going to be off the charts. Already they estimate a real global death toll is at 6.9 million, and the pandemic may be less than half over, we just don't know. 

New analysis finds global Covid death toll is double official estimates

-- from a medical source May 6, 2021

original publication:

http://www.healthdata.org/special-analysis/estimation-excess-mortality-due-covid-19-and-scalars-reported-covid-19-deaths

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Apparently some people are hung up on defining terms I or others use rather than debating the topic, for clarity I believe Thailand is in a "major outbreak" right now with every single Province being affected. Bangkok being the epicenter of this outbreak.

The question is how much this outbreak will continue not the terms used. 

This outbreak is the largest Thailand has experienced so far."major outbreak" seems to me to be a relative term so relatively speaking we are in  the majorest outbreak Thailand has experienced so I henceforth declare this outbreak a "MAJOR outbreak".There,well that's sorted.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thailand is under reporting deaths by about a factor 15.

Screenshot_20210507-202605_Samsung Internet.jpg

Your numbers are meaningless without reference or even labels. Do you mean South Korea had negative deaths? Covid immaculate conception?

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Apparently some people are hung up on defining terms I or others use rather than debating the topic, for clarity I believe Thailand is in a "major outbreak" right now with every single Province being affected. Bangkok being the epicenter of this outbreak.

The question is how much this outbreak will continue not the terms used. 

You are correct. Even if the number of new infections continues at the current pace, hospitals may run into capacity problems, or rather, staffing problems, since there are only so many available doctors and nurses to staff field hospitals.

IF there is a spike in numbers, then the impacts will be significantly worse, and you will read reports of ambulances circulating around the city with gravely ill victims looking for an empty bed. And the crematoriums will be operating 24/7.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Sorry what type of arguments allow some people to kill others?Do you mean that people die during a lockdown because of the lockdown?I'm not not sure I follow your argument.Those that want to lockdown can lockdown and you'll be safe those that don't want to do lock downs will take the risk of living normally in a risky dangerous  world.Your choice.

There are so many examples all over the world of what happens with the health care system if some people do what they want in a pandemic. It is not possible to not see that those selfish people overwhelm the health care system. My daughter had this understanding of action - consequence when she was 10 years old. It's not rocket science.

Edited by MikeyIdea

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

IF there is a spike in numbers, then the impacts will be significantly worse, and you will read reports of ambulances circulating around the city with gravely ill victims looking for an empty bed. And the crematoriums will be operating 24/7.

If you say so, sounds a little dramatic but who am I to judge

• Haha 1

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1391551855780454402

Chonburi Public Health Office has just just announced that they have 63

new cases today (lowest for one month) and one more death. The total so far is now 3,361. Most new cases in Bang Lamung/Pattaya (14), Chonburi City (20), and Sriracha (16) #COVID19 #โควิด19 #Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

There are so many examples all over the world of what happens with the health care system if people do what they want in a pandemic. It is not possible to not see that those selfish people overwhelm the health care system. My daughter had this understanding of action - consequence when she was 10 years old. It's not rocket science.

So are you basically blaming selfish people for the spread of this pandemic.So if people are spreading this virus they are selfish people?Is it not that the virus is very transmissible and it's almost impossible to stop, it's because people are selfish and don't want to wear masks even though they wear them anyway to obey the law.There have been several reports of many healthcare workers getting infected by selfish people wearing masks and adhering to restrictions.Is there a difference between spreading the virus wearing a mask and spreading the virus not wearing a mask? 
I think it's a bit selfish to blame certain people for this pandemic.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are correct. Even if the number of new infections continues at the current pace, hospitals may run into capacity problems, or rather, staffing problems, since there are only so many available doctors and nurses to staff field hospitals.

Hospitals are all ready having capacity problems now hence the field hospitals, the problem is already worse.Some hospitals are already having staffing problems due to staff having to quarantine because they a close contacts or have been infected because this is a major outbreak here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So are you basically blaming selfish people for the spread of this pandemic.So if people are spreading this virus they are selfish people?Is it not that the virus is very transmissible and it's almost impossible to stop, it's because people are selfish and don't want to wear masks even though they wear them anyway to obey the law.There have been several reports of many healthcare workers getting infected by selfish people wearing masks and adhering to restrictions.Is there a difference between spreading the virus wearing a mask and spreading the virus not wearing a mask? 

You seem to have a problem with understanding what probability means.. Wearing a mask makes transmitting the virus less likely. It doesn't eliminate the possibility.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Hospitals are all ready having capacity problems now hence the field hospitals, the problem is already worse.Some hospitals are already having staffing problems due to staff having to quarantine because they a close contacts or have been infected because this is a major outbreak here.

You are conflating different issues here.

Field hospitals were first put up to isolate the infected, so they wouldn’t have to be kept in hospitals. Now some makeshift hospitals are being erected in areas where there are clusters of infections but are underserved by hospitals.

The hospitals that have medical staff quarantined are not generally located in areas hard hit by infections, they just happen to have encountered small numbers of infectious patients.

I walked around Pattaya yesterday, looking for signs of life. There are still people either not wearing face masks or using them as chinstraps. A few Farangs who don’t cover their noses.

It’s the older Thai men who don’t bother with the face masks. The type who get infected and die. 

I didn’t go indoors in public places, since just about everything was closed.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-treatment-for-covid-19-really-free-in-thailand/

Despite the government’s repeated assurance that treatment for COVID-19 is free, not everyone is convinced. Copies of hefty hospital bills for COVID care are circulating widely on social media platforms.

One patient was hit with a bill of Bt937,979 for 16 days in a private hospital, which included three days in intensive care (ICU). Another had to pay Bt989,670 for 17 days in hospital, 13 of which were spent in ICU.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Quarantine and infections, over 500 hospital staff infected.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Health care workers who cannot do their job without coming close to infected people is obvoiusly not an argument that can be used when discussing the population as a whole. Wearing a mask is only one of the measures recommended. 

If all people always followed all advice, the health care system wouldn't be overwhelmed? Yes, sure, no one is saying that it's not a one stop solution to everything though.

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Copies of hefty hospital bills for COVID care are circulating widely...

One patient was hit with a bill of Bt937,979 for 16 days in a private hospital

Noted!

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am thinking that the PM must have once worked in his youth for TAT.  He sure acts like TAT with his prediction, and daily changes to things.  He must get frustrated with trying to remember what he said 5 minutes prior.

Vaccinations need to be ramped up in my view.  How the hell else will they expect to keep the country from falling deeper and deeper into the Covid quagmire that they have created with all of their talk and slow action.  I guess their are more important things for this government to solve than Covid.

Yes their off shore bank accounts.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rabas said:

None of these are credible sources or discuss overall death tolls, one talks about a few deaths in Britian last week. That ref is duplicated.

However, it's a moot point because real death tolls, not recored deaths, estimated by experts are going to be off the charts. Already they estimate a real global death toll is at 6.9 million, and the pandemic may be less than half over, we just don't know. 

New analysis finds global Covid death toll is double official estimates

-- from a medical source May 6, 2021

original publication:

http://www.healthdata.org/special-analysis/estimation-excess-mortality-due-covid-19-and-scalars-reported-covid-19-deaths

So national newspapers reporting on figures for ONS UK are not credible. If that's the case you could say any news source reporting figures from the CCSA are not credible then. I'm fact any reports unless read from a certified government organization are not credible by your standards then.

1 hour ago, Petey11 said:

So national newspapers reporting on figures for ONS UK are not credible. If that's the case you could say any news source reporting figures from the CCSA are not credible then. I'm fact any reports unless read from a certified government organization are not credible by your standards then.

RT is not credible, the other sources discussed recent limited data for a single country, thus not credible support for the argument.  Some references referred to the same limited data. "The poster's referenced information was not credible"