Foreigners will definitely get vaccine in Thailand; urged to register from August

webfact

I had a friend (Steve, in Jomtien): farang and homeless. Finally deported a few years ago, but cops mostly left him alone because he had no money to pay them off with....

"...the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration spokesman..." Is this person now in charge of vaccine rollout? That and Chiang Mai posting makes me wonder if regions have simply given up on national government and have "gone rogue"?

5 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Pretty sure most countries vaccinated on an at risk basis, age/ poor health, here in hierarchical land they are doing it on a status basis, of course tomorrow is another day ????

The UK certainly does. My Thai daughter in law has her first vaccination this weekend. She’s only 40 but now qualifies for one along with the rest of her age group no matter what race you are. 

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

So relieved to finally have official confirmation that we are classed one tier above tramps.

I always had my suspicions, but as you say nice to have it in black and white from the very top where we stand in the country.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

It seems very obvious to all of us that this Government really has no idea what its doing or any clear timeline for doing it

They are very efficient at bringing out water cannons when some kids are mean to them, but, yes, doing actual real government stuff like this, attacking corruption and running the economy efficiently are absolutely beyond them and have been since day one.

It might even make more sense to put the "tramps" in the higher priority pool. They move around constantly, have no fixed abode to shelter from infection, and thus are more likely to acquire and spread Covid. Might even want to put them first on the list above the army and the government.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

I bet you have a wasted journey…or if lucky get canceled before that wasted journey 

There is always a chance that those who managed to register will get their shot. I hope for their sake they do. So no harm in trying. I do suspect that many are going to be pulled out of line and told to go home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nightfox said:

So the next topic will be is how many foreigners will actually take up the Thai governments offer of free vaccination knowing it will be the Chinese Sinovac jabs that they will be getting. I myself and I'm sure many others will wait for the Phizer and Moderna jabs to be available no mater what the cost will be.

What if they say you must take what we give you? You just never know.

1 hour ago, taotoo said:

What if you're a homeless foreigner?

I think the real question is, what if you're a homeless Thai? As in theory the Thais come first but the homeless last. But that would be admitting that there are homeless Thais. And Thai slums, too, like along some train lines.

4 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

What if they say you must take what we give you? You just never know.

Another permutation: what if as is apparently the case in Buriram, as someone has posted, the local authorities force you to take Sinovac and you cannot get back to your home country because Sinovac is unapproved there? Can you take another vaccine in short order on top of Sinovac?

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that it was true that Thais would go first but foreigners then the homeless or tramps would go next, reported Spring News.

Foreigners...only the second to last to get vaccinated; at least we're ahead of Thai tramps, unless he meant foreign tramps ????????????????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

4 hours ago, d2b2 said:

It is widely available for free for everyone (except perhaps young children as there haven’t been completed studies) .
I have a Thai friend (26 years old) who travels between  bkk and San Francisco/Chicago  as a courier and he recently walked into a CVS drug store in San Francisco and received the vaccine of his choice without reservation or cost. 
available to anyone upon request for free.

It did not start that was in the US. First were health care, and other front line workers, as well as others at risk because of age and medical conditions.

Vaccinations only opened up to most everyone, after there began to be surpluses available, and the at risk groups had already had a chance to become vaccinated.

there are over 3 millions foreigner living in Thailand they all contribute approximately

fifty thousand Barth per month in thai economy and we treated like second or third class residents

Edited by lucky john
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Surelynot said:

But in a very strict, racist pecking order....with foreigners right at the end of the queue.

Yes, this is why I believe Thailand should be made to wait for a couple of years to get any vaccine.

It's not going to happen but it would happen if I was in charge.

28 minutes ago, krobert6 said:

Checked out both the Australian and UK vaccine registration sites and no question of nationality - shows a pretty disturbing racism slant on Thailand

How does that surprise you?