Not up my nose

samuttodd

Google this as link not allowed. Anyhow both procedures are invasive with a bit of pain involved so why no swabs? 

Siriraj Hospital has introduced a "new normal" for blood testing patients who can now book drive-through appointments via the hospital's "Siriraj Connect" application.

• Haha 1

So far this year I have had 5 PCR tests.  It is not that bad.  This is from the US Embassy site:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
    • For information on the requirements for U.S. Citizens to enter Thailand, please visit the Royal Thai Embassy’s website in Washington D.C.
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes

It does state serology and this could mean an antigen test would be accepted?  It also depends on the airline as well.  Some airlines might only believe a PCR Test is available.  Good luck and safe travels.

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

This is from the US Embassy site:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
    • For information on the requirements for U.S. Citizens to enter Thailand, please visit the Royal Thai Embassy’s website in Washington D.C.

Thats the section about US citizens entering Thailand.  Completely the wrong thing.  The OP asked about entering the US.  

Confirm that every passenger onboard the aircraft has documentation reflecting a negative Qualifying Test result means confirmation that: 1) the personal identifiers (e.g., name and date of birth) on the negative Qualifying Test result match the personal identifiers on the passenger’s passport or other travel documents; 2) if the passenger is arriving on a direct flight to the United States, the specimen was collected within the 3 days preceding the flight’s departure; 3) if the passenger is arriving via one or more connecting flights the specimen was collected within the 3 days preceding the departure of the initial flight; 4) the test performed was a viral test (as defined below); and 5) the test result states “NEGATIVE,” “SARS-CoV-2 RNA NOT DETECTED,” “SARSCoV-2 ANTIGEN NOT DETECTED,” or “COVID-19 NOT DETECTED.”

This is the order in question.  It specifically mentions "antigen".  

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Global-Airline-Testing-Order-RPWSigned-Encrypted-p.pdf

Apologies for the confusion.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

12 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

This is the order in question.  It specifically mentions "antigen".  

You seem to be confusing antigen tests and antibody tests.  They are completely different.  

An antibody test is a blood test. 

An antigen test is not a blood test.  It is a nasal and/or throat swab same as a pcr test.

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Anti-gen test can also use saliva.

The ones i've seen advertised in Thailand use a swab.   Maybe someone else knows if there are any hospitals in thailand that just take a saliva sample.

I read that a while back in china they let foreigners do the test anal , maybe that's more comfortable for you ?? Sorry , just joking i felt i had to make this one it was the perfect pass for me to score for open goal ????????????????

• Haha 1

"After independent complaints out of the United States and from Japanese officials, China's CDC has confirmed that at some airports passengers are being tested for COVID-19 through the use of anal swabs. These probes are also being used on local populations. On March 3 a foreign ministry spokesperson told Reuters that the decision to use these "virus prevention and control measures" was based on science."

• Sad 1

I just did the swab test today at Bangkok Pattaya.  Nasal poke was not fun but it won't kill you.

The throat swab was worse for me.  I almost gagged like I had dry heaves.  Technician had to put a

wooden tongue depressor in my mouth to get the swab down deep enough.

5 minutes and its over.  Better than a dentist's chair for sure.

11 hours ago, bangon04 said:

"After independent complaints out of the United States and from Japanese officials, China's CDC has confirmed that at some airports passengers are being tested for COVID-19 through the use of anal swabs. These probes are also being used on local populations. On March 3 a foreign ministry spokesperson told Reuters that the decision to use these "virus prevention and control measures" was based on science."

There are some scientific reports saying the virus might start spreading via the sewage.  They are already testing sewage to find clusters.  Scary stuff.  Wash your hands!!!

41 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

There are some scientific reports saying the virus might start spreading via the sewage.  They are already testing sewage to find clusters.  Scary stuff.  Wash your hands!!!

It's highly unlikely that the virus would spread through sewage, however, viral material does enter the sewer system and can be tracked.   In many places, the level of virus is tracked through sewage.   The viral material entering the sewer system would have already been inactivated by the body and any that wasn't would not be viable for long.  

This same method is used by police to track hot spots for drug usage which also enters the sewage system.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott said:

It's highly unlikely that the virus would spread through sewage, however, viral material does enter the sewer system and can be tracked.   In many places, the level of virus is tracked through sewage.   The viral material entering the sewer system would have already been inactivated by the body and any that wasn't would not be viable for long.  

This same method is used by police to track hot spots for drug usage which also enters the sewage system.  

It happened before.  Remember SARS in Hong Kong???

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7522648/

In summary, the possibility of fecal-oral infection remains in debate. Thus, further research is needed to examine possible occurrence of fecal-oral transmission.

Another concern is the inhalation or aspiration of fecal particles, as well as its direct contact with skin and eyes (Hoseinzadeh et al., 2020). During the SARS-CoV-1 outbreak in Hong Kong, 2003, the leakage in household sewage pipe was likely associated with 319 infection cases due to the spread of aerosolized fecal particles (Naddeo and Liu, 2020; Wigginton et al., 2015). Dense interconnected sewage pipes via tees, ferrules and other fitting devices may have high opportunities to be busted and leaked, causing the spread of contaminated sewage.

27 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

In summary, the possibility of fecal-oral infection remains in debate. Thus, further research is needed to examine possible occurrence of fecal-oral transmission.

Another concern is the inhalation or aspiration of fecal particles, as well as its direct contact with skin and eyes (Hoseinzadeh et al., 2020). During the SARS-CoV-1 outbreak in Hong Kong, 2003, the leakage in household sewage pipe was likely associated with 319 infection cases due to the spread of aerosolized fecal particles (Naddeo and Liu, 2020; Wigginton et al., 2015). Dense interconnected sewage pipes via tees, ferrules and other fitting devices may have high opportunities to be busted and leaked, causing the spread of contaminated sewage.

We are getting a bit off-topic, but the HK cases were in housing projects where people were most like directly exposed to fresh sewage leaking from pipes leading from one apartment/flat directly into the another apartment.  

Although Covid can live for extended periods of time on surfaces, that does not mean that it is viable for long and most studies show a really low rate of infection from touch.  

But yes, it is definitely a good idea to wash your hands if you are exposed to raw sewage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

So you're telling me I can get covid from farts? 

• Haha 2