Thailand reports daily record of 9,635 new COVID-19 cases, including jail cluster

webfact

Just now, edwardandtubs said:

Take away the prison numbers and it's clearly not exponential. The doommongers have been saying for over a month now that numbers are going exponential yet here we are with general population cases still in the 2000s. 

And the lockdown fanatics are also out in force in this thread. But 6,853 of today's cases were of people already locked down so how would locking down the general population have made any difference? Should the prison officers be working from home?

So why would you take away the prison numbers? Don't they count too?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Apart from clusters in Bangkok, and in the prison system, the epidemic seems to be receding.

I have noticed that there aren’t that many people walking around outside these days. So, people are staying home more, which reduces transmission of the virus.

My Thai tuk tuk driver told me that Thais who eat lots of nam pla are protected against covid.

4 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

What's about all the people working at or for the prison system.

Delivery people, people living close by. Taxi drivers who drove visitors to prison.

Visitors of the inmates who later went back home by taxi, motorbike, bts, etc.

They can't be traced.

What's about all the Embassy people who go an visit inmates of their country?

All Embassies now locked?

Too many questions.

I think I read somewhere that regular prison visits have been cancelled some time ago.  But there must be still a fair amount of traffic of guards and just to provide the slops they feed to the unfortunate inmates.  New prisoners are arriving all the time and prisoners are still going to court and getting transferred to different prisons.   

10 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

So why would you take away the prison numbers? Don't they count too?

For the purpose of statistical analysis. These prisoners didn't all suddenly start catching covid in the past few days. It's just that the government has only just started mass testing and reporting them.

But if you want to know how much covid is spreading in the general population then the walk in hospital figures is a more reliable indicator. You'll see that in blue in the posted bar chart and it's been in a plateau for the past month.

Edited by edwardandtubs

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Province by province list of new COVID cases reported Monday:

Sheet_0000.thumb.jpg.3cb2b5426c4ea6099a991b6db783475e.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158021482327050

So, 6,853 new cases in prisons in Central Thailand, probably mainly in Bangkok - at a guess at least 10% of the central prison population and it is unlikely they have tested more than half.  How many in the rest of the country?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

My Thai tuk tuk driver told me that Thais who eat lots of nam pla are protected against covid.

In India they believe that people who drink cow urine and bathe in cow dung are protected but it doesn't seem to be helping them much.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I live in Sakon Nakhon and have been following the trend here. All of the cases (98 so far) emanate from visitors or returnees from the central region and all of them have been contained. For a population of a little over a million, that's a pretty low figure.

And that trend seems to be fairly consistent around all of the provinces. Here's a snapshot from May 16th. One can go back and find that this is fairly typical.

Western region:  100

North East:             70

Eastern region:     119

North:                      30

Southern region:  127

And then

Central region:  1,825

This flare up is all Bangkok centric with the regions only contributing a very small proportion. You'll find the source of my statistics here.

So if it stays in Bangkok then Thailand will only have 10 million cases by the end?

8 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

So, 6,853 new cases in prisons in Central Thailand, probably mainly in Bangkok - at a guess at least 10% of the central prison population and it is unlikely they have tested more than half.  How many in the rest of the country?  

I think they're making a mistake by lumping all the prison cases into the central region. A lot of them are, but a very large portion also is coming from Chiang Mai.... So best to leave the prisons out of the province by province details at this point, until they start either separating them out entirely or assigning them correctly to the provinces where the actual  prisons are located.

I can't change or edit their documents... But a better real look at the provinces breakdown overall is located here:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I recall some mention in 2020 about  Thai inmates presenting with covid-19. While people have been distracted by the free community statistics the prisons have been ignored in every sense.

At close to 100% overcrowding it would seem nobody even wanted to consider what to do.

Historical reports about the general poor health of many long term prisoners would suggest there will be more than a few who now face an unscheduled death sentence.

7 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Immediate full country wide lockdown required for at least 1 month to get viras under control with top priority to expedite vaccination programme.  The pandemic is hitting Asia hard this time and serious measures are required.

They should have done that before Songkran and, having seen the results of that disastrous decision, they don't want to admit they were wrong and lose face. They have also run out of money and want to keep the economy running as long as possible to avoid demands for stimulus shecks. 

In other words they believed they could walk on water after last year's "success" and made no serious preparations for more outbreaks,  were completely blindsided by waves 2 and 3. Now they just don't know what to do and the constitution provides no normal democratic means for getting rid of them to let someone else have a go.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

They've been saying it for over a month? Can you point me to the when the "doommongers" last said that the community spread would become exponential? I can't seem to find that anywhere? 

Short memory. I wonder why?

Look at these daily update threads from a month ago.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

We would never have known about these prison clusters if it was not for the recently bailed out female protest leader who announced she had been infected and treated in prison and that there lots of cases. The next day, the truth started to come out. How many other clusters or bad news are being intentionally kept hidden from the public?

Correct but the Corrections Dept pretended that she caught it after being released.  A cultre of lying. Sigh.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

They've been saying it for over a month? Can you point me to the when the "doommongers" last said that the community spread would become exponential? I can't seem to find that anywhere? 

If you have any memory, you would know that the Doomsayers rarely make a concrete prediction. They mostly scoff at the official numbers and make dire but vague predictions about "its going to get a lot worse". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's not going to happen because the government isn't reading the opinions of random old blokes on the internet but is instead listening to their own health advisors.

Exactly what have their own health experts been saying to them, I can tell you if you like, its widely reported. What qualifies someone as old by the way?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

If you have any memory, you would know that the Doomsayers rarely make a concrete prediction. They mostly scoff at the official numbers and make dire but vague predictions about "its going to get a lot worse". 

Oh so you say he was lying?

Just now, Suua said:

How do you know when they don't perform mass testing?

Today, there are 35 cases reported in Isaan.  Do you think the number if off by 10 cases, 100 cases, or 1000 cases? 

Let me give you a hint: the authorities test in areas where walk-in cases of Covid present at hospitals in large numbers. 

12 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

In India they believe that people who drink cow urine and bathe in cow dung are protected but it doesn't seem to be helping them much.

Would certainly help with the social distancing aspect. Breath stinking of urine and body stinking of cow dung would not a chick magnet make!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

It use to be that your biggest worry in a Thai prison was dropping the soap.  Now its re-using the soap after its dropped.  This is slipping away fast and little vax in sight.

For a start, I don't think prison rape is a funny topic especially not when you have political prisoners in them. But it does look like herd immunity will be achieved in these prisons by infection rather than vaccination.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Haha 2