Thailand reports daily record of 9,635 new COVID-19 cases, including jail cluster

webfact

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

My ... comment is that, apart from the big number of cases in the prison system, the biggest problem are the clusters around Bangkok. These will be identified, testing will be conducted, in some places wire fences will be put up, and the clusters will be isolated and eliminated.

The rest of the country will slowly return to normal, especially as vaccinations kick in.

That is until the Indian variant come in and put the current numbers to shame. 

2 minutes ago, Spock said:

He or she has good reason to be angry. The Thais have made a real mess of this latest outbreak. 

Of course, but that anger seemed pointed at a poster who asked a few questions.

• Like 1

Public Health Ministry accepts more COVID-19 vaccine from China

Thailand’s Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, accepted delivery of 500,000 more doses from China’s Sinovac from Yang Xin, Chargé D’affaires at the Chinese Embassy in Thailand.

Yang Xin said, during the ceremony, that he is honoured to represent the Chinese government in providing the COVID-19 vaccine to the Thai people, to support control of the spread of the virus, which indicates the strong relationship between the two countries and how the Chinese government can help others during the pandemic.

He added that China has donated vaccines to 80 countries and has exported them to 50 developing countries, to help increase their access to them.

More: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/public-health-ministry-accepts-more-covid-19-vaccine-from-china/

27 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

You don't find it somewhat remarkable that up until now, Thailand, with it's limited resources and a GDP per capita of less than US$8000 had better pandemic numbers than Norway, a country with a GDP/capita of over US$75,000; and a sovereign wealth fund of over One-TRILLION dollars (for a population of 5M)? Maybe do something useful, like comparing Thailand to its peers in SE Asia.

Am I a) comparing Thailand to Norway or b) I am simply saying that coming soon Thailand will take Norway's spot on the covid worldometer? Pattaya Spotter you have a 50% chance of getting the correct answer. If you need a little refresher here's my post....

Yep they've done well. Gone from number 117 to number 91 in a couple of months on the covid worldometer. Doing a great job. Should knock off Norway at number 90 in the next couple of days.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Yes.

Songkran did not bring a major increase in cases in the provinces. Paradoxically, the post Songkran surge has been mostly confined to the Bangkok area.

also suratthani 

31 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Okay so you've changed your mind again and you now think there is exponential growth. So why were you asking me earlier to show you any evidence that people were saying there's exponential growth? You clearly don't know what you're saying from one minute to the next, a classic sign of dementia.

If you look at the appalling conditions in Thai prisons, there was never any doubt that it would rip through. It's still not exponential in the general population though is it?

'Old' is a normal English word. If you don't know what it means look it up in a dictionary. Don't take it too personally.

Because the rate exponential or explosive for want of a better word only just happened two days ago. So of course it would be natural to use when there is evidence before you, that was not the case before and thats why nobody including myself mentioned it in the last month.

To the other point, again your quote:

"the government isn't reading the opinions of random old blokes on the internet but is instead listening to their own health advisors."

I'm not taking it personally but I am very interested in your definition of it rather than deflection. How do you know if we are old or not if you are not defining the age? 

Seems throwing out assumptions based on nothing more than your imagination is running away with you right?

Are you a random old bloke? And what have the health experts been advising the government? Apparently you know or at least claim you do?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Am I a) comparing Thailand to Norway or b) I am simply saying that coming soon Thailand will take Norway's spot on the covid worldometer? Pattaya Spotter you have a 50% chance of getting the correct answer. If you need a little refresher here's my post....

Yep they've done well. Gone from number 117 to number 91 in a couple of months on the covid worldometer. Doing a great job. Should knock off Norway at number 90 in the next couple of days.

I know, I know. Can I answer? Please, please.

• Haha 1

Its time for the Thai government to stop fooling around with this. Forget about AZ producing 10 million doses a month until the end of the year(Which most likely cant happen . Its Time for Thailand to stop depending on the weakest and cheapest vaccine on the market(Sinovac) Place your orders and pay whatever amount they want for Moderna or Pfizer. (120 million Doses) For 60 million fully vaccinated people .Stop the procrastinating !!!!!!!! The sooner you do this , The sooner the economy opens.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Take away the prison numbers and it's clearly not exponential. The doommongers have been saying for over a month now that numbers are going exponential yet here we are with general population cases still in the 2000s. 

And the lockdown fanatics are also out in force in this thread. But 6,853 of today's cases were of people already locked down so how would locking down the general population have made any difference? Should the prison officers be working from home?

The prisoners are not so much locked down as locked in with the virus and jammed into cells like sardines.  What nonsense to wish to paint a rosy picture of Thai daily cases by taking away the prison numbers. You are as bad as the Thais in your attitude to prisoners. They are Thai citizens and at the mercy of the state and the virus. 

• Like 2

PR Thai Government

Thailand government organization

The Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation has announced that universities across the country will open the first semester on 14 June. Integrated teaching, both online and on-site, will be applied in accordance with the situation in the local area.

https://twitter.com/prdthailand/status/1394223668113428481

17 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Then you're saying the ranking is meaningless...so why even mention it? What relevance is it to this thread topic?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Then you're saying the ranking is meaningless...so why even mention it? What relevance is it to this thread topic?

Where did I say it's meanigless. Wrong again. 3rd time lucky they say.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

This is the only country I've seen where they separate out the daily count like this and where some on here are so adamant that they do not count,

Other countries include them in the grand total. No separation at all.

Often they have further details on separate data specifically for the Prison Authorities for research and monitoring purposes but thats all.

Infections in prisons should matter. What happens to the staff after they go home ? They infect their family and other people.

8 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Can the rose coloured glasses brigade please step forward and tell us all how it was that Thailand avoided the Songkran surge.

Also all those people that told us about the spicy diet and warm weather fending off Covid. 

Please, come forwards and explain to us your wisdom.

Sure was good while it lasted!

Cheapest 5 star traveling I've ever done.

4 minutes ago, club said:

Infections in prisons should matter. What happens to the staff after they go home ? They infect their family and other people.

Not saying they don't matter, they play an important part of the picture of just how widespread the virus is here in Thailand.

• Like 2

Reading today’s COVID-19 update for Thailand, I note that the TOTAL number of cases since this ‘pandemic’ started 17 months ago,  is 111,000 with the recorded number of deaths attributed to it, listed as 614.  Doing the math reveals that the death rate works out to 0.55%!!  That’s right!  Only 0.55% or approximately one-half of one percent of those infected have actually died!  

Further, given that the population of Thailand is currently over 69 million, the percentage of the population that has been infected so far is 0.16% and the percentage of the population who have actually died from it, is 0.00000003%!!!!!  

For this, the country has been brought to a standstill, businesses closed down, its economy devastated and the populace shaking with fear.....mandated by law to wear face masks when outside their homes???!!!  SMDH and weep!!!!????

Edited by Sheryl
Moderator Removed over large font
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Almost full at my local with local cases and spill over from BKK. Apart from that the Permant Secratary for Health has stated that out of 1000 ICU beds there are 100 left which will be taken in the coming wks. I hope this helps my fellow TV members with the severity of the situation. Thanks for the advice.

That's good dinsdale, but you forgot to mention your location so that others can verify. 

Also, others need to be as resourceful as you and check out their local hospital.

That is because one report doth not a disaster make.

Continue to track and report the bed vacancy data, and let's stop this chicken-little nonsense with every day's posting of case numbers.

None of regular miscreants here will ever be satisfied whatever the government announces to the public.

So let's drop it.

Instead of allowing a few overburdened politicians, acting below dubious (corrupt?) advisors, to override land & people, form an executive council where all relevant parts of society participate (fx law, economy, education, dissenting medics) to take covid-related decisions! 

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

And the lockdown fanatics are also out in force in this thread. But 6,853 of today's cases were of people already locked down so how would locking down the general population have made any difference? Should the prison officers be working from home?

Define a lockdown fanatic?

Someone who would rather the numbers decrease quickly so the outbreak was contained far quicker or?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DLock said:

But Thailand has done an amazing job...

But motorcycle deaths are much higher...

But Thailand is testing according to WHO recommendations...

But Thailand is doing great compared to the rest of the world...

But the virus has peaked and should go down in the next week...

But these cases are only in prisons and not worth worrying about...

Almost 10% increase in 1 day.

But...what's the next excuse?

But , most of those infections are in the jail where no social distancing is possible . I wouldn't mind waiting for the vaccine as long as they solf this jail cluster !@#$ maybe they can give them the sinovac so we have a bigger chance at the other vaccine when it's our turn . 

10 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

That's good dinsdale, but you forgot to mention your location so that others can verify. 

Also, others need to be as resourceful as you and check out their local hospital.

That is because one report doth not a disaster make.

Continue to track and report the bed vacancy data, and let's stop this chicken-little nonsense with every day's posting of case numbers.

None of regular miscreants here will ever be satisfied whatever the government announces to the public.

So let's drop it.

I do not in anyway need to tell my location. I did say that the local hospital is taking overflow from BKK hospitals so that narrows it down a bit i.e. not Chiang Mai LOL. If you think I am lying come straight out and say it. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2