What's your best guess? When will bars re-open in Pattaya?

Senechal

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

Any data on how many of the 7000 new cases per day have been vaccinated?  

A very high portion are not, or have only had the single vac..... it gives hope the vacs work, if these people had taken up on them. 

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

For sure, this is the way it will go. Easy money for the ladies and no need to do anything more than show. One imagines that ladies who are tech-savvy and aspirational will ply their trade online. Those who are less tech-savvy / older / less aspirational will remain in the bars where the standards will likely slip further.

And for those who don't subscribe to the online scene, don't forget all these girls online still have to physically take care of daily routines in malls and everywhere else. Got nothing to lose asking. Also the sideliners who activate intermittently: rent, new phone...

• Sad 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:43 PM, Guderian said:

The Phuket governor said that he wants to keep the bars and entertainment venues closed as they are known areas where outbreaks can start. Yet all the tourists arriving will have had two doses, and 70% of Phuket residents are supposed to have had at least one (except the poor old expats, lol), so on the basis of that thinking it's never, ever going to be safe to open the bars again!

on the basis of that thinking it's never, ever going to be safe to open the bars again!

Perhaps that's the plan.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, morrobay said:

the opportunity to finish off the sordid fairytale

Wasn't sordid- it was paradise for a guy that grew up in a country where women were high maintenance and thought they were special. But for Bkk/ Pattaya I might have gone my whole life without knowing what enjoyable rumpty was.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 11:35 AM, DerbyDan said:

inflation soaring as governments worldwide throw money at it.

The 80s were good if one had savings and no mortgage. My fear this time is that they put interest rates up for borrowing but keep interest on savings at near to 0%.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The 80s were good if one had savings and no mortgage. My fear this time is that they put interest rates up for borrowing but keep interest on savings at near to 0%.

Do we have that already.... there are some debt repayments with very high interest rates, obviously credit cards, but also pay day loans.... ? My Bank, an overdraft is 39.90%.. 

Is there cheap debt for any except financial institutions?

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, Senechal said:

There are many more forces than tourism to consider. For one if your debt is dollar denominated, reducing the value of your currency means a nominal rise in debt levels. Likewise, imports of everything from steel and other raw materials to microchips increase in costs.

Oil importing countries (Thailand is only partially self sufficient) will also see a rise in oil and petroleum byproduct costs (which, being input costs, ripple through the supply chain quickly -- and ultimately raise food costs too). 

Keep in mind that despite the misplaced beliefs (wishes?) of many on this forum, tourism makes up less than a quarter of Thailand's GDP (22% pre Covid). Thailand is an advanced economy which is mostly services/banking and industrial manufacturing from high tech to automobiles.

Agriculture is just 8%

Good info'.

Cheers

On 6/9/2021 at 6:35 AM, DerbyDan said:

im starting to agree with you. it feels like things are not bouncing back like they would in another type of crisis. i think there is a financial sneaker wave waiting on the horizon.

im hearing chatter about property values tanking under what people owe, and another great depression hitting within the next several years and inflation soaring as governments worldwide throw money at it.

Thailand can't possibly bounce back when there are no foreign tourists. 

Same for many other parts of the world. 

On 6/15/2021 at 6:50 PM, Senechal said:

There are many more forces than tourism to consider. For one if your debt is dollar denominated, reducing the value of your currency means a nominal rise in debt levels. Likewise, imports of everything from steel and other raw materials to microchips increase in costs.

Oil importing countries (Thailand is only partially self sufficient) will also see a rise in oil and petroleum byproduct costs (which, being input costs, ripple through the supply chain quickly -- and ultimately raise food costs too). 

Keep in mind that despite the misplaced beliefs (wishes?) of many on this forum, tourism makes up less than a quarter of Thailand's GDP (22% pre Covid). Thailand is an advanced economy which is mostly services/banking and industrial manufacturing from high tech to automobiles.

Agriculture is just 8%

Losing up to 20% of GDP will have a fairly severe effect on any economy. And hamper any bouncing back. 

On 6/14/2021 at 2:38 AM, mstevens said:

For sure, this is the way it will go. Easy money for the ladies and no need to do anything more than show. One imagines that ladies who are tech-savvy and aspirational will ply their trade online. Those who are less tech-savvy / older / less aspirational will remain in the bars where the standards will likely slip further.

They don't have to be that tech savvy to do it.  

They can work across a few different time zones for the online shows, and still meet with customers off apps, like ThaiFriendly, for short time, and still be able to freelance out of a bar, if they want to.  

The pretty ones will make a lot more money than hanging around a bar all night waiting for some lady drinks, and someone to pay a bar fine, something that was dying out pre covid.  

On 6/14/2021 at 6:45 AM, jacko45k said:

A very high portion are not, or have only had the single vac..... it gives hope the vacs work, if these people had taken up on them. 

There are many reports that the latest strains are a lot more contagious. 

The latest surge may persuade people that were sitting on the to vax or not to vax fence to go and get vaccinated.   

On 6/13/2021 at 7:54 PM, Leaver said:

ThaiFriendly is operating.  It can simply be a dating app that people are using for other purposes.  

I know Soi 6 is a cash cow for the BiB.  Maybe the app can be "hosted" outside Thailand.  Maybe the app can not be traced back to the Nighwish Group.  Easy to do.  

AirBnB is here.  The days of bar fines and lady drinks are slowly coming to an end.  Whilst there will always be a market for "hostesses" here, a fair percentage of the sex trade will move to the digital platform, post covid.  It was already happening pre covid.  

I agree with some of your points but mostly disagree 

Dating apps for shortime will burn out - they are impersonal and only being used now because no other choices - people don't like to order sex like ordering a fish supper.  

I do agree that lady drinks and bar fines are fading away - why order someone a drink that costs twice as much as yours - rather silly 

Bar fines - another fading trend - who still pays them ???? only those that think they have too or are on a 2 week holiday and don't care 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, smedly said:

I agree with some of your points but mostly disagree 

Dating apps for shortime will burn out - they are impersonal and only being used now because no other choices - people don't like to order sex like ordering a fish supper.  

I do agree that lady drinks and bar fines are fading away - why order someone a drink that costs twice as much as yours - rather silly 

Bar fines - another fading trend - who still pays them ???? only those that think they have too or are on a 2 week holiday and don't care 

I never used to pay lady drinks, but I'd offer a looker the amount she'd have got from a lady drink to sit with me. Win win for us, but the bar lost.

That was last century, but 15 years later I never bought a lady drink because the standard had gone down so much there weren't any I was interested in.

It may have changed, but back when I was a bar hopper no bar girl would agree to meet up after the bar closed because if they got found out the mamasan would have been very "unhappy" with them. Also, given that the gogo I frequented didn't close till after daybreak, I'd have had to wait a very long time to meet up.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:01 PM, Leaver said:

There are many reports that the latest strains are a lot more contagious. 

The latest surge may persuade people that were sitting on the to vax or not to vax fence to go and get vaccinated.   

That would depend on the reason for not getting vaccinated in the first place.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never used to pay lady drinks, but I'd offer a looker the amount she'd have got from a lady drink to sit with me. Win win for us, but the bar lost.

Too many places employ blocking tactics.... a cute one will often come sit with you when you land, but if you haven't bought them a LD pretty quick they move away (as told). At a beer bar it is back to hello -girl duties for her, and all you get to see is the back of their heads....

In the GGBs it is similar, and even if you do buy her a drink, she might slurp it down quick....(especially the overpriced tequila/water).... and then she will be sent dancing,  unless you buy another. 

Doesn't suit me, I don't like to buy their overpriced drinks between my overpriced ones....

That was how it was, and I abandoned an LK Metro GGB last time they were open, when I had the girl sat near me sent dancing.... my comment, there were 3 customers, 'It's not like there is a Q of Japanese outside, why not take care of those you got inside, instead of irritating them'.... went off to a BB to top up on 60 baht beers, then a GC.

Still using 2 week millionaire tactics on cheap assed Expats!

Edited by jacko45k

On 6/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, smedly said:

Who says they are for short time only?  Have you ever met a girl from an app?

I've arranged to meet quite a few girls that started off as short time, and ended up long time.  I enjoyed the company of the girl.  

Everything that is available in a bar, is available on an app, except for the bar fines and lady drinks.

It was the constant increases in prices, and less affordability due to exchange rates etc, that saw many guys turn to freelancers.  

The typical bar business model that relies on bar fines and lady drinks is set to fail in the future. They were failing pre covid.  

I agree.

There's a lot of information on the internet about "the system" here now.  A quick Google and many of these guys will see it's unnecessary to pay bar fines and lady drinks.  

There's the possibility that guys may spend more on freelances, either for services rendered, on alcohol and food, or on shopping and gifts, because they are not paying bar fines and buying lady drinks.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That would depend on the reason for not getting vaccinated in the first place.

Well, no unvaccinated tourists will be allowed to come to Thailand.  So, if you wat to come to Thailand, you will have to be vaccinated.  

On 6/8/2021 at 1:48 PM, James105 said:

Your actions should be official policy.   Those that are old/obese/scared can stay at home and those that are healthy and are not scared of the virus carry on as normal.    You can literally have a zero covid policy in your condo/home!   Just don't let anyone in and don't go out and you will be 100% safe from the virus.    You can also feel better about yourself not contributing to the devastation that so many already poor people are going through from having their businesses shuttered and their livelihoods destroyed just to make you feel a little bit safer when you are out and about.   

Huh? 

35 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Huh? 

I'll summarise:

1.  People who are scared of or are vulnerable to the virus stay at home and avoid other people (basically the current situation for everyone so life is no different for that group of people).

2. Other people carry on with their lives with sensible precautions and help support local businesses (with sensible measures such as 50% capacity etc to avoid overcrowding) that without this support will go out of business and have a devastating effect on the lives of the owners and the employees of those businesses as there is zero support for those who have lost their income in this country due to restrictions.  

To summarise a bit further.    Adults (the people the virus affects) use personal responsibility and assess their own risks.   Anyone incapable of exercising personal responsibility is most likely a child and therefore immune to the effects of the virus.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, James105 said:

I'll summarise:

1.  People who are scared of or are vulnerable to the virus stay at home and avoid other people (basically the current situation for everyone so life is no different for that group of people).

2. Other people carry on with their lives with sensible precautions and help support local businesses (with sensible measures such as 50% capacity etc to avoid overcrowding) that without this support will go out of business and have a devastating effect on the lives of the owners and the employees of those businesses as there is zero support for those who have lost their income in this country due to restrictions.  

To summarise a bit further.    Adults (the people the virus affects) use personal responsibility and assess their own risks.   Anyone incapable of exercising personal responsibility is most likely a child and therefore immune to the effects of the virus.   

Your post mentions nothing about the virus being allowed to proliferate under your covid management scheme.  

Allowing the virus to replicate, even in a demographic not susceptible to death from it, vastly  increases its ability to mutate.

Can you tell us what Covid-25 looks like?  Maybe Covid-25 kills everyone, think, Ebola. 

The virus has to be stopped, and those that are in a demographic that is statistically does not harm, also need to play their role. 

As for minimizing the economic impact, the Thai government basically did ZERO to financially assist the unemployed Thai people.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Well, no unvaccinated tourists will be allowed to come to Thailand.  So, if you wat to come to Thailand, you will have to be vaccinated.  

From what date? where are you getting this info from? 

A bold ( and likely untrue ) statement on your part.

Unvaccinated tourists can come to Thailand anytime they want as it stands, so long as they do the 15 day quarantine.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, James105 said:

I'll summarise:

Thank you. The use of common sense and science, is so refreshing in this Covid debate. There is so much fear based nonsense. Yesterday, I watched a guy eat dinner with a mask on, in a very nice restaurant. Beyond bizarre. Total fear consciousness. No reasoning involved. 

Some are behaving as if this is the Bubonic plague. 

And the stinginess this administration has displayed, and the lack of support for the people affected, and the business community here is a boil on their Prayuth's arrogant mug, and an indication of how out of touch, and how indifferent they are. The effects of this will be felt for many years to come. This will be far worse than the 1997 economic crisis.

Just wait until only 1,000 tourists a month show up for the dumb sandbox plan. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, jacko45k said:

Too many places employ blocking tactics.... a cute one will often come sit with you when you land, but if you haven't bought them a LD pretty quick they move away (as told). At a beer bar it is back to hello -girl duties for her, and all you get to see is the back of their heads....

The last time I went in a Walking St gogo one of the touts was DDG, but she was the only good looking employee. I only stayed long enough to consume my own drink and I had no problem not encouraging one to sit with me. I never saw fat gogo dancers before- sad times.

Ages ago I was visiting my favourite Walking St gogo, Pretty Baby if I remember name correctly ( long since closed ) and it had the best looking girls on all of Walking Street. A real stunner was in the shower, and I paid for a lady drink for her expecting her to dry off and join me. However, after 15 minutes she was still getting wet, so I left, and didn't leave a tip.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

The virus has to be stopped,

I very much doubt that is even possible, and apparently some governments are now edging towards what, IMO they should have done from the start, and realizing we are going to have to live with corona, just as we do with the flu.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The last time I went in a Walking St gogo one of the touts was DDG, but she was the only good looking employee. I only stayed long enough to consume my own drink and I had no problem not encouraging one to sit with me. I never saw fat gogo dancers before- sad times.

Ages ago I was visiting my favourite Walking St gogo, Pretty Baby if I remember name correctly ( long since closed ) and it had the best looking girls on all of Walking Street. A real stunner was in the shower, and I paid for a lady drink for her expecting her to dry off and join me. However, after 15 minutes she was still getting wet, so I left, and didn't leave a tip.

And it can be very painful to look at a stage full of ugly and fat women, in varying states of undress. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And it can be very painful to look at a stage full of ugly and fat women, in varying states of undress. 

Quite nauseating. I didn't pay to look at a load of unattractive BGs wobbling about on a stage. One has to wonder why anyone would go all the way to Pattaya from, say, the UK, to rent a fat BG when they could probably have a fat burd any time at home.

21 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

From what date? where are you getting this info from? 

A bold ( and likely untrue ) statement on your part.

Unvaccinated tourists can come to Thailand anytime they want as it stands, so long as they do the 15 day quarantine.

It's a statement, and not so bold.

Airlines will refuse to carry unvaccinated passengers.  Happening already.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55048438

Most likely no travel insurance for unvaccinated tourists as well.

Maybe unvaccinated people could swim here.  ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1