Toilet turnstile blamed for 867 COVID-19 infections found in a week at Simummuang market

webfact

6 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

Has someone told the US CDC this? They said there are zero known cases of surface transfer.

I remember right at the start all the "experts"  saying it could "survive" on surfaces for up to ( if remember correctly)  72 hours   remember when the

international postage was disrupted because they had to quarantine the mail and the news showing workers spraying parcels/goods  and at that time also travellers suitcases..then later they say there is no risk from parcels  but still risk from hard surfaces (there was a thread here about polishing door knobs ???????? )

Now no surface transfer ????

• Thanks 1

I find this hard to believe, considering that infection from a contaminated surface is now considered a relatively minor risk compared with droplet and aerosol transmission.

Also, if there was ever a good time to use your hand sanitizer, it would be after using a public restroom.

I've seen groups of market vendors mingling and chatting while eating, masks down obviously. I'd look no further than that.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I find this hard to believe, considering that infection from a contaminated surface is now considered a relatively minor risk compared with droplet and aerosol transmission.

The CDC stated that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection via the fomite transmission route is low, and generally less than 1 in 10,000

i.e. each contact with a contaminated surface has less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of causing an infection.

I don’t buy this....   1 in 10,000 ratio... it conflicts with common sense. 

Edited by richard_smith237

55 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

How on Earth can you blame an inanimate object for the spread of a virus?

Oh, wait, I forgot where I was for a moment. 

A year ago scientists were trying to find out different ways covid could be transmitted.

A medical journal in the US published data that the covid virus could survive for up to 72 hours on plastic and 48 hours on stainless steel.

source: https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/20/sars-cov-2-survive-on-surfaces/   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

with most infections appearing to have come from touching the turnstile at the coin-operated public toilets in the market.

I have seen many a Thai and others never washing their hands entering or exiting toilets, suffice to say, touching anything, including ones private parts, must start with washing hands before and after, anything less than that is just plan dirty !!!

I have been to a Macro store toilet where they have a yellow fly/insect screen which is in strips, where you have to fight your way to get in and out, walking in and out backwards using your back does help.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

with most infections appearing to have come from touching the turnstile at the coin-operated public toilets in the market.

Blimey spend a penny an' do some quarantine in return .. 

sounds like a cr*p deal to me .. 

Is it extra hard wearing covid on the turnstile as well ? as you might have thought it had been worn away after few dozen touches , alright maybe a couple of hundred but 800 odd is stretching it abit .. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have seen many a Thai and others never washing their hands entering or exiting toilets, suffice to say, touching anything, including ones private parts must start with washing hands before and after, anything less than that is just dirty !!!

Slightly OT.

I remember hearing in a safety/cleanliness lecture about the importance of washing your hands after using the toilet, but also before.

. There was an instance quoted of a guy who worked in an engineering factory. He developed cancer of the penis, due to not washing his hands before urinating. The germs, etc, present on his very dirty hands were transferred every day for years.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Slightly OT.

I remember hearing in a safety/cleanliness lecture about the importance of washing your hands after using the toilet, but also before.

. There was an instance quoted of a guy who worked in an engineering factory. He developed cancer of the penis, due to not washing his hands before urinating. The germs, etc, present on his very dirty hands were transferred every day for years.

Cancer on the penis.

Never heard about this.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Blimey spend a penny an' do some quarantine in return .. 

sounds like a cr*p deal to me .. 

Is it extra hard wearing covid on the turnstile as well ? as you might have thought it had been worn away after few dozen touches , alright maybe a couple of hundred but 800 odd is stretching it abit .. 

We're getting down to logistics now. I know I'm making some assumptions here, but bear with me.

If, for example there is a turnstile at the entrance, then either another turnstile or a door which needs to be pushed open.

One person puts the covid germ on the turnstile at entry. Some people immediately following could touch it. Then the exit could have the same problem with the exit passing on the germ through contact.

Again, if people use the toilet a couple of times a day, they could be repeating the process. If they use the market regularly, once infected they'll be doing the same for days.

As I posted earlier on here about plastic, stainless steel, cardboard, copper, being found to harbour the covid germ, I'd think it could be possible.

27 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Slightly OT.

My rig is clean, thus always was before, most important.  Then after Certainly when eating spicy finger food...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The CDC states ‘it is not clear what proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infections are acquired through surface transmission’.

Close to zero would be my estimate - like a couple of percent max.

This story is complete rubbish, if anything it would be the air inside the toilets, not the turnstile.

To blame the turnstile for this many cases is quite literally unbelievable, I don't believe it but if it was true then there must be another ten to twenty thousand cases which aren't related to the turnstile. Assuming there aren't then the turnstile thing is complete bull.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

with most infections appearing to have come from touching the turnstile at the coin-operated public toilets in the market

correct or not - we have a market were food is being sold and it would appear that hands are not being washed after toilet use 

disgusting 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

We're getting down to logistics now. I know I'm making some assumptions here, but bear with me.

If, for example there is a turnstile at the entrance, then either another turnstile or a door which needs to be pushed open.

One person puts the covid germ on the turnstile at entry. Some people immediately following could touch it. Then the exit could have the same problem with the exit passing on the germ through contact.

Again, if people use the toilet a couple of times a day, they could be repeating the process. If they use the market regularly, once infected they'll be doing the same for days.

As I posted earlier on here about plastic, stainless steel, cardboard, copper, being found to harbour the covid germ, I'd think it could be possible.

Or the men could just be standing next to each other in the urinal, coughing, spluttering, spitting? That’s a possibility.

meanwhile women chatting while washing their hands, laughing, sneezing, shouting? That’s also possible.

or it could be the inanimate object obstacle course that you describe.

just kidding, i assume the authorities did some kind of analysis to suggest the turnstile, details of which are not public.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have seen many a Thai and others never washing their hands entering or exiting toilets, suffice to say, touching anything, including ones private parts, must start with washing hands before and after, anything less than that is just plan dirty !!!

In ground forces they teatch us not <deleted> our hands! Dont know why Navy boys have always wet hands, maybe its salt water.

Edited by 2 is 1

32 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Stileishly written there Mr Sofa .. 

but won't the virus get dizzy going round and around on these turnstiles .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Thanks 1