Best way to convert THB to AUD

Need to convert a large chunk of THB to AUD and either send or take back to Australia

how do you go about getting the right exchange rate and dealing with a safe reputable

money changer other than the banks?...

For exchange of physical baht I found places like Super Rich, or just some local place if in Bangkok or a big city,  are likely to be fine and a much better rate than banks. The money exchange places on the ground floor at the train station at the Suvarnabhumi  airport are all good even if not well known names.  Might need to call them first  if you want lots of Australian dollars. 

For sending to Australia Wise, formally Transferwise,  are normally up there with the best. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

For exchange of physical baht I found places like Super Rich, or just some local place if in Bangkok or a big city,  are likely to be fine and a much better rate than banks. The money exchange places on the ground floor at the train station at the Suvarnabhumi  airport are all good even if not well known names.  

For sending to Australia Wise, formally Transferwise,  are normally up there with the best. 

I think you will find wise doesnt do Thailand to Australia

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Need to convert a large chunk of THB to AUD and either send or take back to Australia

To be honest not sure, but I have always used TransferWise, now known as Wise. You could try them, otherwise if you will be returning every now and again, keep it for those party times ????

• Like 1

The Headquarters of SuperRich Thailand on Rajdamri 1 in Bangkok offers the best rate on most currencies.  The spread between the Buy and Sell rate for the Aussie dollar is just 10 satang.

https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en/exchange

The rate on the USD is even better.  It is a massive operation, quite busy, with people exchanging big money.

If going to the USA or Cambodia, and interesting arbitrage opportunity  is to exchange your Thai baht for as many 1 dollar bills that you fit in your luggage within legal limits.  Assuming that exchange rates stayed constant over time, if you changed baht to 1 dollar bills at Superrich, then back in States deposited the 1s and took out 100's, flew back to Thailand and exchanged the 100's you would turn a profit. 

Vasu is in a slightly better location for most farang and also gives a very competitive rate.

http://www.vasuexchange.com/