Life cycle of a high rise condominium in Bangkok?

I am thinking about buying a condominium in Bangkok.

New units in new buildings are expensive, and old units in older building are cheaper. So far that makes sense.

In the moment I think that buying a unit in a older building and renovating that unit will still cost a lot less than a new unit in a new building.

But obviously it brings up the question: What will happen in the future?

Will the building be kept in a good condition and many owners will renovate or sell their units and new owners will then renovate them?

Or will more and more units just stay in a bad condition because nobody spends money on them. And if that happens with more and more units then there will be fewer people in the building and only people who want to rent cheap and from there it goes only down?

Is there something like a typical life cycle for condominiums in Bangkok (or in general)? 

What is important to look for in an "old" (maybe 20 to 30 year old) building? I.e. if the fresh water and waste water pipes were recently replaced and new lifts were installed does that make the building "like new"? Or what other big issues will happen when the building gets older and older?

Are there i.e. samples of building which are not inhabited anymore maybe after 20 or 30 years because main parts are defect and nobody is doing anything?

And what is the best way to estimate if a building will likely be in a reasonable condition in the future, maybe 10 or 20 years from now?

This is a drawing to illustrate the question. I guess with a condominium it is more difficult because of many owners.

R8b77444870c93cb977e1ef8290c9f443?rik=qa

• Haha 1

I think one rule to add, the bigger the condo is with the more facilities, the greater the risk it will deteriorate badly. If it is a fairly small condo with limited facilities the more likely it will kept up better for longer. It's just easier and less expensive.

Also make sure you find out the height above sea level of the building at ground level because the paper that cannot be named has today mentioned BKK as sinking at a rate of 2-3 cm /year and none of it is far above the current but rapidly rising sea-level.

So my best guess is around 5 to 10 years before it all goes under!!

Good luck.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AJBangkok said:

You may think that 25-30k for a reno (including design) is expensive but In my experience we have had to take every condo we have done back to bare concrete, we have not salvaged anything.

Thanks for all the info.

With all your experience I would have thought you are able to renovate for less than that.

If you like tell me/us: Are you hiring one company do do everything for you from design until ready to rent out?

Or do you have a designer and then different contractors?

Do you always use the same people and/or company over the years?

I guess it's possible to do the renovation less expensive than that still with good quality. Or not?

Is there any specific renovation company which you like to recommend? And if, why do you prefer that company?

Sorry but when I read this I am amazed!

Thais do not maintain anything, from Cars to home to apartment buildings.

They are only repaired if they are broken and needed!

Condo etc:

Look at the external appearance, look for cracks covered over, very common.

Look for external pipes leaking and never fixed.

Look for blocked drains.

Check hallway wiring to see if safe and working

Has it got WIFI

Check the elevators, they are never serviced, merely repaired when not working.

The condo itslef, look for signs of above leakage, check for drains smelling

Check windows condition

Check wiring  safety cut outs and sockets actually work

Check uneven flooring

Check walls are not blowing

building Security!

Electric / Water meters

Do they still allow Gas usage! (Should be not allowed)

Check many times noise levels

Check about animals

Allocated parking spaces?  Abandoned vehicles?

Check Condo fees accounts / balance / and who's on condo management team

Foreign quota or Thai quota purchase?

All seem typical items for check, but in Thailand they are most often neglected.

Personally, I only buy 5 year old condo's as most issues are not becoming an issue yet.

35 minutes ago, Paul DS said:

Thais do not maintain anything, from Cars to home to apartment buildings.

They are only repaired if they are broken and needed!

Your list is interesting. Thanks. But I don't agree with your statement above.

In some buildings the management cares. And the committee cares. I don't know how many buildings have a proper management and how many not. But telling us that Thais do not maintain anything is just wrong.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all the info.

With all your experience I would have thought you are able to renovate for less than that.

If you like tell me/us: Are you hiring one company do do everything for you from design until ready to rent out?

Or do you have a designer and then different contractors?

Do you always use the same people and/or company over the years?

I guess it's possible to do the renovation less expensive than that still with good quality. Or not?

Is there any specific renovation company which you like to recommend? And if, why do you prefer that company?

On 5/20/2021 at 11:32 AM, Peterw42 said:

Mostly base on a few years of observations, I have bought and sold a few condos, wife has previously worked in a couple of condo offices and now does a bit of sales. Any block she/we have been involved with, that has gone bad, is invariably a block where the office (and the committee) spends all there time running a little real estate venture, and little to no time doing their actual job, looking after the condo block.

Under normal circumstances, (unless the developer is still involved) the condo office should have nothing to do with sales or rentals in a block. Even people like yourself consider it to be normal practice, its not.

The lift is broken in building 3, or a chance of a commission if I show someone through the condo in building 2, its just too much of a conflict of interest, owners end up wanting to be on the committee for no other reason than, to get a cut of the sales commissions etc.

In the absolute worst instance, the office starts using the condo staff (cleaners, gardeners, technicians etc) to maintain and renovate the condos they are renting and selling. 

It may not sound that important but its the first step in the chain of how/why a block goes bad.

In my condo complex in Pattaya the Sales Office is separate from the Juristic (general site admin) Office. This division of labour seems to work very well.

21 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Sue you can do it cheaper and I should have mentioned that the 25-30 baht per sqm reno cost includes buying the rental furniture. Also you have to consider that I am taking the condo back to bare concrete so it's including, wiring, plumbing, floors, ceilings, lights built ins, airconditioning etc etc and most of the time new windows. 

I do a custom kitchen which usually costs 400k - 500k for the cabinets and counter tops/backsplash. Built in appliances, oven, microwave, induction hob, fridge, sink, tap and dishwasher run about another 130-150k. I use tekka and bosch.

I use the same designer and construction company for all the units. I use the same kitchen company for all the kitchens and I use the same air con company for all the air con. I always do ducted air con so that's about 150k more than wall units.

The construction company i use does the demo and manages all the trades like the air cons, windows kitchen etc. They are probably a little more costly than some companies but they do a full turnkey reno and always come back to fix any problems even after 5 years. They have plenty of work and I am waiting for them to start my next project so i’d prefer not to give their name at this time .

For the furniture I get everything from people who do drop shipping for Chinese factories. It's always 30-45day preorder but the suppliers I use have good quality, it lookes expensive but it's normally 50% of the cost of buying similar quality furniture here.

As I said my numbers reflect going back to bare concrete. If you don't need to then it could be significantly cheaper to reno but that will be reflected in the selling price. The condos I buy are not in any condition to live in, they are usually rife with termite damage, mould, horrible layouts and generally falling apart. They need a total rebuild and that's reflected in the price they sell for. There are plenty of condos in better condition for 70-90k per square meter but usually they still need some refurbishment. You won't get a new kitchen, appliances, air cons etc they will be dated. I prefer nasty ones as know after I finish everything will be brand new and there won't be any major surprises so at the end of the day I am getting a brand new interior at the same or cheaper price than what a condo in decent nick sells at in the same building. 

I have only bought condos here to live in , not for investment. But i would very much agree with the above. The fit outs of condos in Thailand tends to be v poor. From my experience best  to strip it out and redo yourself.

• Like 1

always remember this is not London Geneva  or New York. Property values will never really  appreciate over very the long term here. (my opinion)

Even the best buildings in Bangkok will not look great in 50/70 years time.

one huge issue in Bangkok is the very limited planning controls. 

The environment around your home can change dramatically. One year you may have a idyllic view over a collection of high end houses and their gardens, a year later you could be looking at a construction site as a new high rise grows up next door  to block out your view. Exactly this recently happened to a friend of mine. The great western cities have much stricter planning so property in these cities is always inherently more valuable. 

I own in Bangkok and am happy with what we have here , but i would certainly never argue that its better than renting.

• Like 2

Agree with the post about the environment changing. When I rented a condo in Bangkok about 20 years ago I had a nice view from the balcony. A couple years later my view was another balcony about 5 meters away. So maybe consider whether or not the neighboring area seems like it could be ripe for redevelopment.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, grin said:

Agree with the post about the environment changing. When I rented a condo in Bangkok about 20 years ago I had a nice view from the balcony. A couple years later my view was another balcony about 5 meters away. So maybe consider whether or not the neighboring area seems like it could be ripe for redevelopment.

That reminds me of a guy who lived here since forever.

He told me when he arrived in Bangkok he lived in the top floor of a 5 story building in Soi Suanplu (old immigration). He could see the river from his apartment - long time ago. 

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Your list is interesting. Thanks. But I don't agree with your statement above.

In some buildings the management cares. And the committee cares. I don't know how many buildings have a proper management and how many not. But telling us that Thais do not maintain anything is just wrong.

Yes you are quite correct, it's finding a place thats the problem, that's why my list is long....if all those questions are answered (and no cracked walls) then that's a start!

On the maintenance side, I'd cut out condos that have rooftop pools.   Just asking for a harder and harder to maintain task in the long run for all the co-owners.   Even more fun if you have a unit on the few floors right underneath it.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heng said:

On the maintenance side, I'd cut out condos that have rooftop pools.   Just asking for a harder and harder to maintain task in the long run for all the co-owners.   Even more fun if you have a unit on the few floors right underneath it.  

That's interesting. I think there are only few buildings which have rooftop pool and I always thought: why?

But thinking about maintenance hassle I guess you are right. There is a reason for that.

• Like 1