Majority of expats are happy with their life in Thailand: Survey

11 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Does your sister stay in the far north or in a prison camp? That would explain high cost.  I took 10 seconds and make search.   Watermelon 11 lb  $4.97  https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/watermelon-large-seedless/6000196088051

Considering watermelon is not in season, the price is rather good.  At least she can get something. Try getting fresh  berries in Chiang Mai out of season.

I see that large mixed garden peppers Red Yellow, orange  are 6 for  $4.99 at president Choice chain.  That's about 130 baht.  I have to pay 30 baht for decent red pepper if they are available.  That's 180 baht for 6 and they are 1/2 the size of those on sale in advert.  Walmart is hardly place for  quality fresh produce but price and quality looks  better than typical grocery store in thailand.

Did your sister tell you, she  has received or will receive  high quality vaccine, no charge and that no government minister is saying foreign people do not qualify for vaccine?   It is wonderful you can get on airplane and land in Koh Samui in an hour. Don't forget to mention the  bloated airfare or the bloated cost of taxi from airport.  Every country has plus and minuses, but the cost to maintain a good quality of life is just as expensive in Thailand as it is out of Thailand. 

Thailand is wonderful until one gets a critical care illness, or loses mobility or vision. Then it is a very difficult place to be. 

I'm so sorry that you are so unhappy, perhaps you wouldn't be happy anywhere. As for me, "bloated prices" are in the eye of the beholder. Just as an aside, rest assured that you would be the last person to whom I would disclose the location of my sisters residence.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Wow...the fruits and veggies seem way cheaper in Canada than Australia. And we grow almost everything.

I just had a glimpse at Coles/Woolies:

1 x red pepper $2.97 (70 baht)

1kg bananas $4 (95 baht)

8kg watermelon on promo - $20 ( 480 baht)

1 x dragon fruit - $5 (120 baht)

What about apples, pears, potatoes and lettuce?

Shouldn't you be comparing prices of locally grown products with locally grown products? 

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What about apples, pears, potatoes and lettuce?

Shouldn't you be comparing prices of locally grown products with locally grown products? 

Hmm compared to what? All the products I've put as an example are locally grown in Australia, and probably neither of them in Canada. Logically the Australian produce should be cheaper than Canada, but that's not the case.

No matter how  bad or good we perceive Thailand to be just remember this,. We have another 'home / land' to return to. A large section of the population here are stuck with Thailand and have nowhere else to go, but would happily trade in Thailand for a better life abroad. So when some dimwit mutters, "well if you don't like it leave' . Smile and nod, because we are so lucky to have that option. Wear that comment like medal. that sets your life and apart from most Thai people.

Have a fine day everyone. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

Thailand is wonderful until one gets a critical care illness, or loses mobility or vision. Then it is a very difficult place to be. 

Are there places where this is easy? A very sad thing no matter where you are indeed, but here, at least help is inexpensive compared to most Western countries... it would probably cost less for a full day here than an hour somewhere in the West... 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Griffo63 said:

It really doesn't matter what the survey says - Its how the individual feels about their life in Thailand.  Perception is reality.  When I read some of the comments on Thai Visa, about almost any aspect of life here, I often wonder whether I'm living in the same country as the posters, and indeed why they stay here.  It's not perfect for sure but for me it's really good and much better than the alternative.  

well said... they would likely be complaining wherever they are... 

8 minutes ago, jonclark said:

A large section of the population here are stuck with Thailand and have nowhere else to go, but would happily trade in Thailand for a better life abroad.

Most of the Thai I know prefer life here and understand they have a better, easier life here than they would working 15 hrs a day to make ends meet in the west.. my wife included... 

<<knocking on door>>

<<expat opens door and sees two boys in brown, one of whom has a clipboard>>

"Sir, you aren't unhappy living in Thailand are you?"

"Well, um, no, of course not! "

"Thank you sir, have a nice day."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

very few because very few were tested.

You cannot find what you are not looking for.

Even when using a testing protocol that was never designed to test what you are looking for in the first place? 

Never mind that the scientist that created the PCR test has publicly stated that this test should not be used outside of a laboratory environment to test for anything, much less covid19... And when you crank up the cycle counts in the testing procedures, you can get a goat or pawpaw fruit to test positive for covid... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Thailand is good if you have money. If no money the suicide rate is very high.

Thailand is no longer a cheap country to live or holiday in. Many things are cheaper in the Europe. 

Some things may well be cheaper in Europe, however the costs of fuel, water, property/council tax, heating bills, dining out and public transport in my country, the UK leave many folks with very little money to actually spend on those things that are actually cheaper.

I am much better off living in Thailand even on a fairly modest pension income.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

if peoples home countries were so great, they'd be there. The others just love the sound of their own whines, makes em' feel childlike again and important for a minute..

By standard logic those that felt that way would be there (and the vast majority are,aren’t they?) and wouldn’t be included in the survey. Constructive criticism about a military junta,appalling road deaths,poor environmental issues makes them childlike and whining does it…or are you completely happy with the aspects i identified ?

48 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Most of the Thai I know prefer life here and understand they have a better, easier life here than they would working 15 hrs a day to make ends meet in the west.. my wife included... 

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/media/lets-move-abroad-thai-facebook-group-exploding-with-potential-defectors

I never worked 15 hours a day in the West - although my nephew in Thailand does as he needs to do overtime in a factory, just to make ends meet and he regularly works 72 hour weeks - As do many of his work colleague, so he tells me (but i appreciate this is third hand and anecdotal). 

The point I was making thought is that use expats are very lucky to have the option to move to another land - so when someone pulls out that old "If you don't like it here leave!"  chestnut, just smile and nod safe in the knowledge that you have an option many of the local do not. 

My wife by contrast is always nagging me to move out of Thailand and go to the UK, so whose wife is right...lol. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Moonlover said:

Some things may well be cheaper in Europe, however the costs of fuel, water, property/council tax, heating bills, dining out and public transport in my country, the UK leave many folks with very little money to actually spend on those things that are actually cheaper.

I am much better off living in Thailand even on a fairly modest pension income.

I agree, Thailand is much cheaper than the UK.

My pension would be totally gone on a bedsit in the UK, I'd have to find a part-time job if I wanted to eat as well.

In Thailand, after paying the home loan on the 3 bedroom house, I have plenty of money left for food, beer and women.

I can only imagine the people posting how expensive Thailand has become, either have never been to Thailand, or haven't been back to the UK for 20 years.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

It's a great place to live as long as you ignore the corruption and incompetent govt and legal system. Hard to find anywhere in the world as safe, such great weather, food choice, fun and nice people. Good medical care and intl schools. Can't grumble. Too many Farang Kee Nok but theyre in every country. 

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Smile and nod, because we are so lucky to have that option. Wear that comment like medal. that sets your life and apart from most Thai people.

That's the stuff !!... Look at my Medal guys,.... if I don't like in the Land of Smiles I have options---I can go back to Bradford.....????.

Just read that the nearly 200 Pakistanis have died of Covid there, Officials are trying to stop it spreading -----To the next house.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Speak for yourself! I've had many fabulous days in my mother country and many other countries too.

Too true my best day was when i left Thailand to head for a nicer country as sick of the place.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Taiwan is a beautiful country, maybe the most beautiful island in Asia. The people can be helpful but there is a world of difference between the Chinese and south-east asian people like Thais, Indonesians or Filipinos. The Chinese in Taiwan don't have that full openness and friendliness. Taiwan is greatly overpriced as well and food is nowhere near as good as Thailand.

21 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Majority of expats are happy, the rest are on ThaiVisa.

I love Thailand and the people.

I do NOT love the "daily" flip flops on covid vaccinations! I do not like the "let the WHITE DEVILS" wait attitude, which is 100% racist! 

It's a global pandemic, USA/Australia/UK etc all are vaccinating EVERYBODY, black, blue, white, polka dotted, you name the color it's IRRELEVANT!! And so it darn well should be HERE!

Wake up Gov people, your future tourism trade depends on your attitude! And by the way a white expat who hasn't been vaccinated and gets infected can inadvertently spread this horrible disease to Thais and expats, THE COVID VIRUS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE COLOR OF OUR SKIN OR YOURS!

The Gov should be protecting everybody in Thailand regardless of skin color, to stop infections FULL STOP!

• Like 2

I have an IDEA.

why doesn't somebody on TV do a remote survey, i would volunteer but i have only just learnt after 3years my phone has a torch <deleted>.

20 questions choice of say 5 replies.