Majority of expats are happy with their life in Thailand: Survey

1 hour ago, Randell jones said:

DBath, I'd like to share a nice bottle of chateauneuf- du-pape with you, sound like a very interesting man. 

I'm up for that, as long as you're buying!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

My wild guess is that the outcome might have been drastically different if questions like these were included in the survey:

1) How happy are you with Thai visa requirements and visa rules in general?
2) Does it affect you personally in any negative way when Thai officials openly, on media call you  "Farang", who are dirty and smelly with a very bad body hygiene?
3) Do you feel safe when you drive, bicycle and walk on Thai roads?
4) Does the fact bother you, that you are unable to fully, legally own the business that you have invested all your life savings in?
5) Same as 4 but referring to land and house instead of a business.
6) Do you enjoy the fact that you will have to pay 10 times the Thai entry fee at most national parks in Thailand?
7) How much do you enjoy the very fact that your whole existence here is a tight rope walk that can have you expedited for up to 10 years for even the slightest ever "felony", like jamming with your musical instrument in a local pub or bar?
8 ) Does add to your happiness the fact that you are so very welcome here if you have plenty of cash to spend, but the very opposite if you ever find yourself in a tight spot, financially?
9) Is it adding immensely to your daily wellbeing when openly in public children point at you, shouting "Farang, Farang!" with their parents having a broad smile on their face instead of scolding them, basically sending out a silent approval?
10) Would you say that it would elevate your happiness level if - let's just hypothetically imagine - a boat captain throws back the trash he disposed of into the Andaman Sea, but that had been collected by you while diving, shouting at you that "This is my country and I can make it as dirty as I want!"... 

... and I would have a whole calatogue of so many more questions I'd like to add to that survey, but let's just pretend that everyone is so very happy here, given the staggering amount of foreigners filling in that survey...

1.   I don't have a problem with them or my local Immigration office.

2.   No, I simply ignore it/them. I know how clean I am.

3.   Pretty much so, but I live in rural Thailand.

4.   No.

5.   No. I willingly bought the land and house for my wife and family plus I have to live somewhere.

6.   I haven't been to a national park in years, and if I wanted to get into my nearest one all I have to do is walk to the top of our land and cross the fence and I am there.

7.   Doesn't apply to me as the only jamming I do is on my toast in the mornings.

8.   No. It depends a lot on your attitude with your Thai family and Thai friends. I have helped them out a few times and they have helped us if it was needed.

9.   The children up here in rural Thailand don't do that. I try to make them laugh and, like all children, they respond to it positively as do their parents.

10.  Hypothetically it might bother me, but in reality, not at all.

It is all about peoples attitude and I do my best to make the best out of each situation if and when it happens

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Talk about down the road of Fantasy............from secret countries to go to , too FBI certificates.

& secrete agreements with Embassies --yes, I do hope to live the rest of my life here DBath.....

I think its much better than living it in Fantasy land.

When you're not sat in that rocking chair on your front porch, you probably spend most of your days watching old episodes of Star Trek and here you are accusing me of living a fantasy life. Actually, come to think of it, given where I've come from it is a glorious fantasy life I live now. Doesn't that just tear you up inside? You might want to ask Scotty to beam you up!!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DBath said:

When you're not sat in that rocking chair on your front porch, you probably spend most of your days watching old episodes of Star Trek and here you are accusing me of living a fantasy life. Actually, come to think of it, given where I've come from it is a glorious fantasy life I live now. Doesn't that just tear you up inside? You might want to ask Scotty to beam you up!!

OK Dbath....I'll leave it at that, as its getting a little childish now----hope you enjoy  life in your secret country (as long as the FBI, Embassy etc give you the nod to go.)

Take care--all the best.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 3:21 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Still, an Australian expat shares: “I am impressed  with the way the Thai government has managed issues associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Was he riding a Kangaroo or facing defamation charges at the time ????

Obviously before the current fiasco May 2021. All survey should ask double question, what do you like what do you dislike. 

On 5/20/2021 at 4:15 PM, from the home of CC said:

I wouldn't be here if I wasn't happy - really dumb survey..

Agree dumb survey (the terms) for example "would you rather be dead or alive" Obvious answer. How about what are the good things vs bad things? The "go home thing is not a legitimate answer" 

2 hours ago, DBath said:

I'm up for that, as long as you're buying!

2 hours ago, DBath said:

Barring my residency application to another country is not accepted, which is highly unlikely given my financial  means

But I thought you're a baller tho ????

4 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

1) How happy are you with Thai visa requirements and visa rules in general?
2) Does it affect you personally in any negative way when Thai officials openly, on media call you  "Farang", who are dirty and smelly with a very bad body hygiene?
3) Do you feel safe when you drive, bicycle and walk on Thai roads?
4) Does the fact bother you, that you are unable to fully, legally own the business that you have invested all your life savings in?
5) Same as 4 but referring to land and house instead of a business.
6) Do you enjoy the fact that you will have to pay 10 times the Thai entry fee at most national parks in Thailand?
7) How much do you enjoy the very fact that your whole existence here is a tight rope walk that can have you expedited for up to 10 years for even the slightest ever "felony", like jamming with your musical instrument in a local pub or bar?
8 ) Does add to your happiness the fact that you are so very welcome here if you have plenty of cash to spend, but the very opposite if you ever find yourself in a tight spot, financially?
9) Is it adding immensely to your daily wellbeing when openly in public children point at you, shouting "Farang, Farang!" with their parents having a broad smile on their face instead of scolding them, basically sending out a silent approval?
10) Would you say that it would elevate your happiness level if - let's just hypothetically imagine - a boat captain throws back the trash he disposed of into the Andaman Sea, but that had been collected by you while diving, shouting at you that "This is my country and I can make it as dirty as I want!"... 

1. Not that bothered, plenty of other Asian countries to live in.

2. Anyone using racist terms (Thai or foreigner) will never be allowed in the gates to my home.

3. I feel absolutely safe on my m/c, bicycle or walking around.

4. I'm not stupid enough to buy a business in Thailand.

5. I have no problem living in a house with a mortgage in a Thai ladies name, she needs me, I don't need her.

6. I've never paid more than a Thai, my local park it's free entry for everyone over 60 years old.

7.  Not bothered, I like other Asian countries as well.

8. I'm never in a tight spot.

9. Isn't this the same as 2?

10. Why would I collect someone else's trash?

Most of your points are pointless!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charlie Halliday said:

It's a great place to live as long as you ignore the corruption and incompetent govt and legal system. Hard to find anywhere in the world as safe, such great weather, food choice, fun and nice people. Good medical care and intl schools. Can't grumble. Too many Farang Kee Nok but theyre in every country. 

Anyone that thinks Thailand has great weather must have moved their from a real <deleted> hole.

Soaring heat and humidity, monsoon rains, floods, droughts. Is that great weather or does Thailand really only have great weather < 60 days a year?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DBath said:

More often than not, those troubles continue to follow them here and they just end up addicted, divorced, broke and/or in jail all over again. 

You can’t change a person simply by relocating them to another country. 

Very true statement.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, DBath said:

More often than not, those troubles continue to follow them here and they just end up addicted, divorced, broke and/or in jail all over again. 

You can’t change a person simply by relocating them to another country. 

Very true statement.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Talk about down the road of Fantasy............from secret countries to go to , too FBI certificates.

& secrete agreements with Embassies --yes, I do hope to live the rest of my life here DBath.....

I think its much better than living it in Fantasy land.

Not everyone trapped themselves to spending the rest of their life in Thailand.

If you cannot believe their are better places in the world than Thailand, I too would talk myself into it being the best place.

• Thanks 2

On 5/20/2021 at 1:12 AM, Randell jones said:

No matter what, your worse day here Is always going to surpass any day you had in your  mother country. 

You've obviously never done mushrooms at a Grateful Dead show.

That was a pretty good day, unmatched in Thailand (whatever drugs they do at the Full Moon Party makes you want to listen to bad techno music). ????

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2021 at 2:03 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The survey, which was carried out between 7 to 31 January 2021, had a total of 12,420 expats participating from 174 nationalities and living in 186 countries or territories.

So out of  186 countries or territories,12,429 were interviewed, that's 67 interviews per country  on the average .

I notice, nothing about immigration issues was mentioned, which is odd since unlike everything else ,Immigration is an issue every single one of those interviewed , had to deal with. 

11 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

By expats, it will mean professionals, skilled workers or independently employed. If the survey was done for retirees, the answers will be different.  

You may want to lookup the definition of "expat"... 

• Like 1

Yup   Happy  happy. Lets not worry about those little rules.

Financial requirements, swell, insurance requirements, swell, 90 day immigration

requirements, oh goody.  Banking quality is good, food prices, okay so far,   places to

go and order food to eat, yes lots available. restricted hours to buy alcohol, yes yes.

Life is sooo good.  Happy happy, now where is my pipe?

Geezer

On 5/20/2021 at 3:46 PM, RobMuir said:

Don't forget you are guest in this country.

And if you don't like it why don't you go back home.

It is not as easy and simple as you are thinking. The life is much more complicate that you can figure it to be.

So you can observe that your limitation is a problem in the real life and push you to declare excessive sentences and strong mind thinking.

Then for all the expat who are a responsability work in Thailand or a family from Thailand, what you are thinking is no more exact (in fact only for tourist what you said can be true).

Also, everybody can express a feeling and much more provide arguments around so that the situation can change in a better way. Looking as this should help the world to grow up in a better way. Deny problems and lock down mouth of peopulation has never been a good plan/idea, same for the simple mind binary thinking, it is more a criteria describing a low capacity than a good thing happening.

Asilum is full of binary mode thinking people.

21 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

<<knocking on door>>

<<expat opens door and sees two boys in brown, one of whom has a clipboard>>

"Sir, you aren't unhappy living in Thailand are you?"

"Well, um, no, of course not! "

"Thank you sir, have a nice day."

The other is playing with his gun?

On 5/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, tomazbodner said:

Majority of expats are happy, the rest are on ThaiVisa.

Yes, the groaning and moaning is terrible in here. Reminds me of my crusty ole' grandad that had nothing positive to say about anything. It's warm, it's beautiful (where I live anyway) and wouldn't change anything. The quirkiness makes me smile everyday.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

My wild guess is that the outcome might have been drastically different if questions like these were included in the survey:

Well I brought the house and land and the government insisted on my name was put on the doc's as registered husband and joint owner 50/50! It just most foreigners just can't be asked to check everything or perhaps after necking the breakfast bottles offer no willingness to deal with the simple things, 'cause they still have big cash in their pockets and their wives are unwilling or unable to deal with people with real jobs.

I have friends who still pay an agent 500 baht to do their 90days report! but I am trying hard to explain to them it's free, and easy to do by post anywhere. Please cash is low so I will do yours for 450baht!