Electric Scooters

I am already going to the '70's and walking is more a "PITA" than a daily pleasure for me.

Where I live, I can see many people nowadays going to the market and other local places on lille electric scooters or real electric motorbikes.
Even little electric cars.

That's nothing new anymore.

But what I would like to know is:

Are they allowed in supermarkets and other places?

For example, can I go with an electric motorcycle in the airport?
Use it as a transport to the airplane in the same way as I would use a walking aid?

In The Mall, I see sometimes salesman riding on a mini electric scooter or a thing with two parralel wheels driving trough the Mall without problems.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, blackcab said:

No, because you would not be allowed to take an electric motorcycle past security. The batteries are just one reason why not.

Having someone riding around inside an airport on a motorcycle is not something that is going to be encouraged to be honest.

If you need assistance boarding let the check in counter know and they will arrange for someone to take you in a wheelchair and get priority boarding.

The "batteries" thingy, is a rule which doesn't make any sense to me.
I am not allowed to send a music birthday card with a tiny battery in the card because of the security rules.
On the other hand, 400 people can board an airplane and each of them can have a phone with batteries; a tablet or a notebook with batteries; a power charger for the phone/tablet; etc
Only the cellphones would be 400 x 4 Amps = 1,600 Amps in that airplane.

6 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

You are wrong. Obviously you know nothing about this issue.

Electric mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs are allowed on many planes . You need to discuss with the airline prior to departure date.

See here.........

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/travel_information/baggage.page?section=6#xyz

Battery powered wheelchairs & mobility aids

Mobility aids: lithium-ion batteries
Battery-powered wheelchairs or other similar mobility devices with spillable batteries or with lithium ion batteries

The lithium batteries must be of a type which meets the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3. Note: Spillable batteries have a number of openings on top where a liquid electrolyte (corrosive) is poured in to maintain the chemical reactions required to generate electrical energy.

Battery-powered wheelchairs or other similar mobility devices with lithium ion batteries where the battery is specifically designed to be removed, the battery must be carried in the cabin

Checked Baggage: Allowed with approval required*

Carry-on Baggage:  Forbidden

Mobility aids with waterproof battery
Battery-powered wheelchairs or other similar mobility devices with non-spillable wet batteries or with batteries which comply with IATA DGR Special Provision A123 or A199

- Have an absorbed electrolyte (AGM, absorbed glass mat, gel battery, gel cell, sealed lead-acid (SLS), dry and dry cell).
- Do not leak any electrolyte or liquid even if the battery case is ruptured or cracked.
- The batteries must be capable of passing certain vibration and pressure differential tests.

* Note: Examples of batteries complying with special provision A123 and A199 are: alkali-manganese, zinc-carbon, nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries.

Checked Baggage: : Allowed with approval required*

The electric scooters I was referring to, are the mini scooters which can be fold together and are the size of a hand suitcase, which is allowed to be taken into the airplane.

There are also suitcases in the market which can be used as an electric transport device and which are allowed to be taken into the airplane.

Thanks for your input in this thread.

Thanks Chris. The thing is the OP specifically asked about, "Use it as a transport to the airplane in the same way as I would use a walking aid?"

As far as I know that would mean the electric vehicle would end up as carry on luggage, which isn't allowed.

Unless the OP found a way to get permission to ride the electric vehicle to the plane, then take out the pre-approved electric battery and carry it as hand luggage, and then have the electric vehicle taken from outside the aircraft door and taken to the plane's hold.

And then have the process reversed upon landing and disembarkation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The electric scooters I was referring to, are the mini scooters which can be fold together and are the size of a hand suitcase, which is allowed to be taken into the airplane.

There are also suitcases in the market which can be used as an electric transport device and which are allowed to be taken into the airplane.

Thank you for clarifying that, as in your original post you mentioned an electric motorcycle, not a hand luggage sized foldable bike.

• Like 2

What about those electric 

24 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I am assuming you are talking about these things.  I see them all over the place now.  They are surprisingly fast.  I even see them in traffic sometimes.  I'm guessing you should be able to get these at the motorcycle rental places soon.  Airlines won't have a problem with the scooter but they probably will have a problem with the battery.  You may need to try carry that on with you unless they have a special fire/smoke proof container they can put those in.

21330793-e1577808020155.jpg

Edited by shdmn

8 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I would think they will be no problem.

You should also write/email the airline a couple of weeks before departure to confirm you will be flying with a mobility scooter. They will ask you weight, dimensions and battery details, etc. You need to have them respond to you in writing which you can then copy and keep in your wallet when you arrive at the airport. This will avoid any potential problems on the day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shdmn said:

What about those electric 

A picture would have probably helped.  I see these things all over the place now.  They are surprisingly fast.  I even see them in traffic sometimes.

It is something like this.....

https://store.easylivingmobility.co.uk/shop/mobility-scooters/folding-boot-scooters/ultra-lightweight-folding-mobility-scooter

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Thank you for clarifying that, as in your original post you mentioned an electric motorcycle, not a hand luggage sized foldable bike.

From the ORIGINAL THREAD:

"Where I live, I can see many people nowadays going to the market and other local places on LITTLE ELECTRIC SCOOTERS" or real electric motorbikes.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

BTW, the "hoverboards" are allowed as carry-on luggage and I have seen them drive in the airport.
I don't want to break my bones.
Thus, no hoverboard.

11 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

BTW, the "hoverboards" are allowed as carry-on luggage and I have seen them drive in the airport.
I don't want to break my bones.
Thus, no hoverboard.

See here....

Travel devices other than those intended for people with reduced mobility

Personal motorized vehicles
Self-balancing personal transportation devices, small vehicle, e-skate, e-skateboard or other similar devices powered by lithium batteries and its accessories.

Checked Baggage:  Forbidden

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Battery-powered wheelchairs or other similar mobility devices with spillable batteries or with lithium ion batteries

The lithium batteries must be of a type which meets the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3. Note: Spillable batteries have a number of openings on top where a liquid electrolyte (corrosive) is poured in to maintain the chemical reactions required to generate electrical energy.

Battery-powered wheelchairs or other similar mobility devices with lithium ion batteries where the battery is specifically designed to be removed, the battery must be carried in the cabin

Good luck with that. No airline is going to give approval to put lithium ion batteries in the hold. They will allow them as carry on but with a very low MAH rating (less than 10,000 MAH?). Certainly not the high AH (Amp Hours) that scooters or mobility devices require. AGM batteries are generally accepted as hold baggage though. How do I know this? I just had major hassles importing from China by ship devices with Lithium Ion batteries. That's ship in containers and not airlines! Also a GF a few years ago got her lithium ion power bank seized at Don Muang Security for being too large (she was an Instagram model  - or so she thought). 

On 5/20/2021 at 11:20 PM, Chris.B said:

You are wrong. Obviously you know nothing about this issue.

Electric mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs are allowed on many planes . You need to discuss with the airline prior to departure date.

See here.........

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/travel_information/baggage.page?section=6#xyz

Battery powered wheelchairs & mobility aids

Mobility aids with waterproof battery
Battery-powered wheelchairs or other similar mobility devices with non-spillable wet batteries or with batteries which comply with IATA DGR Special Provision A123 or A199

- Have an absorbed electrolyte (AGM, absorbed glass mat, gel battery, gel cell, sealed lead-acid (SLS), dry and dry cell).
- Do not leak any electrolyte or liquid even if the battery case is ruptured or cracked.
- The batteries must be capable of passing certain vibration and pressure differential tests.

* Note: Examples of batteries complying with special provision A123 and A199 are: alkali-manganese, zinc-carbon, nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries.

Checked Baggage: : Allowed with approval required*

What's the chances a cheap and cheery 'motorbike' from china will have a tested and approved battery?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

What's the chances a cheap and cheery 'motorbike' from china will have a tested and approved battery?

99% of batteries sold in the world comes from China...

On 5/20/2021 at 10:38 PM, Confuscious said:

I am not allowed to send a music birthday card with a tiny battery in the card because of the security rules.
On the other hand, 400 people can board an airplane and each of them can have a phone with batteries; a tablet or a notebook with batteries; a power charger for the phone/tablet; etc

The battery rule was mainly applied because lithium ion batteries which could catch fire or even explode with pressure changes. You can not leave them in luggage because if this happens in flight the fire is probably not accessible and cause the aircraft to go down. Batteries are allowed on the plane itself because there is a very good chance to extinguish the fire if it breaks out in the cabin area. Amps has nothing to do with it as far a the total goes. Better chance of winning the lottery than every cellphone battery catching fire at the same time. Airlines do limit the size of a lithium Ion battery due to the amount of chemicals that would burn if it did catch fire and hence the size of the fire. 

Some places get carried away with the rules and cant think outside the box. I recently had a large accident with my iPhone and was very much physically damaged. I had some very sentimental photos on it and did a search on google to see if the photos could be recovered. I found a place in the US that would try to recover them but obviously I had to send remains of phone to them. The battery was exposed so was easily removed. I took it to my local postoffice in Thailand and asked about about posting. "Can not, battery" was the reply. I showed him the damaged phone and and showed no battery. "Can not" he says again. I asked why and he says battery again. I said but it doesn't have a battery. After about the fourth or fifth "can not" I mumbled some inappropriate words and left. He just could not accept that the damaged phone did not have a battery.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:33 AM, Confuscious said:

If I remember correctly, and I may not, the batteries have to be removed from the suitcase before it is stowed in the hold

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, elgenon said:

If I remember correctly, and I may not, the batteries have to be removed from the suitcase before it is stowed in the hold

You are correct, read my post above.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:38 PM, Confuscious said:

Good math if you can somehow manage to connect all those batteries in parallel. The issue is not the available watt-hrs, but the potential for internal faults causing fires or explosions. 

Airplanes and postal carriers are different modalities with different susceptabilities. 

I'd be willing to bet you could take that card on a plane. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

The battery rule was mainly applied because lithium ion batteries which could catch fire or even explode with pressure changes. You can not leave them in luggage because if this happens in flight the fire is probably not accessible and cause the aircraft to go down. Batteries are allowed on the plane itself because there is a very good chance to extinguish the fire if it breaks out in the cabin area. Amps has nothing to do with it as far a the total goes. Better chance of winning the lottery than every cellphone battery catching fire at the same time. Airlines do limit the size of a lithium Ion battery due to the amount of chemicals that would burn if it did catch fire and hence the size of the fire. 

Some places get carried away with the rules and cant think outside the box. I recently had a large accident with my iPhone and was very much physically damaged. I had some very sentimental photos on it and did a search on google to see if the photos could be recovered. I found a place in the US that would try to recover them but obviously I had to send remains of phone to them. The battery was exposed so was easily removed. I took it to my local postoffice in Thailand and asked about about posting. "Can not, battery" was the reply. I showed him the damaged phone and and showed no battery. "Can not" he says again. I asked why and he says battery again. I said but it doesn't have a battery. After about the fourth or fifth "can not" I mumbled some inappropriate words and left. He just could not accept that the damaged phone did not have a battery.

Ignorance abounds, especially among the uneducated!

If I were you I'd remove the circuit board from the phone and just send that. Without a display or case, it looks like any other electronic circuit board.

Your photos are stored in an external SD card, or by default on EEPROM internal to the processor or as a separate IC on the circuit board, probably larger than most of the other integrated circuit.

Chances are good the recovery team will just locate and carefully remove the memory IC from the board and put it into a special socket to read it with external equipment. This is a delicate operation, but easy with the right tools.

I spend years as an electronic engineer designing just such things.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, RocketDog said:

Ignorance abounds, especially among the uneducated!

If I were you I'd remove the circuit board from the phone and just send that. Without a display or case, it looks like any other electronic circuit board.

Your photos are stored in an external SD card, or by default on EEPROM internal to the processor or as a separate IC on the circuit board, probably larger than most of the other integrated circuit.

Chances are good the recovery team will just locate and carefully remove the memory IC from the board and put it into a special socket to read it with external equipment. This is a delicate operation, but easy with the right tools.

I spend years as an electronic engineer designing just such things.

Good luck.

Basically it was only the board and it had no case, screen or battery but the lovely person at the Thai post office would not send it because of the non existent battery. The battery was in another nation, his imagination.

It was an iPhone so no external card. Basically in the end with the issue with the post office and high cost of recovery I abandoned the idea.

Thanks for the input.

hello, so please tell me what is a good but still not too expensive electric scooter/bike available in thailand now ?

would you order from aliexpress or only lazada/shopee ?

thanks again.