Chinese govt begins vaccinating its citizens living in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I think the title is misleading (shock, horror!).

It does not say that the Chinese government are vaccinating their citizens. They are supplying Sinovac and Chinese citizens registered with the Chinese embassy in Thailand will receive priority.

It is not an embassy initiate, simply a queue jumping exercise in exchange for a million doses.

You're right, this is obviously only possible with China, because they can force the manufacturer to send vaccines somewhere. 

I guess in most western countries, this would be impossible. Even under the current situation with special laws. And even then the government would give a toss about foreigners abroad. They will always say you can return to get vaccinated, not our problem that you'll reside elsewhere. 

Just now, CLW said:

You're right, this is obviously only possible with China, because they can force the manufacturer to send vaccines somewhere. 

I guess in most western countries, this would be impossible. Even under the current situation with special laws. And even then the government would give a toss about foreigners abroad. They will always say you can return to get vaccinated, not our problem that you'll reside elsewhere. 

They can force Thailand, whatever they want to do....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is actually a bit impressive that this is happening. 

Should I email the British Embassy and ask them  when and where I will get mine?

It's very easy - just book a place and time from this website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/ - millions have already done this.

It seems perhaps, the Chinese were dissatisfied with the Thai government's rollout to 'expats'. Specifically Chinese expats. Embarrassing for the Thai government, I would have thought, that another government has to step in to ensure the safety of their citizens, as the Thai government can't. Perhaps the Chinese government realised that their citizens were not likely  to be vaccinated this side of Christmas, when the Chinese in Thailand complained to their government, over the number of times they had been faffed about with.

Imagine the furore, had the Thais in the US or UK had to ask the Thai government to help vaccinate them in the US or UK....

• Like 1

Just now, Scott Tracy said:

It seems perhaps, the Chinese were dissatisfied with the Thai government's rollout to 'expats'. Specifically Chinese expats. Embarrassing for the Thai government, I would have thought, that another government has to step in to ensure the safety of their citizens, as the Thai government can't. Perhaps the Chinese government realised that their citizens were not likely  to be vaccinated this side of Christmas, when the Chinese in Thailand complained to their government, over the number of times they had been faffed about with.

Imagine the furore, had the Thais in the US or UK had to ask the Thai government to help vaccinate them in the US or UK....

Don't think Thai government's slow vaccination program is the reason. China's grand global plan to vaccinate all its citizens was actually initiated early in the year and by early April countries like Laos, Lebanon and Sierra Leone have started the vaccination program. Their plan is to vaccinate their people in 30 countries around the world. China only face one problem just like others that the production could not cope. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Don't think Thai government's slow vaccination program is the reason. China's grand global plan to vaccinate all its citizens was actually initiated early in the year and by early April countries like Laos, Lebanon and Sierra Leone have started the vaccination program. Their plan is to vaccinate their people in 30 countries around the world. China only face one problem just like others that the production could not cope. 

Plus not all countries are willing to approve or important the Chinese vaccine

Should I email the British Embassy and ask them  when and where I will get mine?

Shame on the Biden Administration. Oh, but wait, Breaking News: Biden hails ceasefire, vows US will help Gaza with humanitarian aid.  Boy I was worried he might help Chinese victims in Wuhan instead of US tax paying citizens living over seas.

5 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Chinese are faster out of the gate vaccinating their own nationals than Thailand is putting together a live, ongoing vaccination program of its own.

Sheesh...

Right!!! They were also quite fast in getting the virus distributed worldwide in the first place... 

Sheesh... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As an American I feel that I'm just a tissue that is already used (for election) and dumped. Election is over and and who cares if we are not vaccinated. 
where are all those journalists to send this message to the government !!!!!!

7 minutes ago, 10baht said:

Shame on the Biden Administration. Oh, but wait, Breaking News: Biden hails ceasefire, vows US will help Gaza with humanitarian aid.  Boy I was worried he might help Chinese victims in Wuhan instead of US tax paying citizens living over seas.

Welcome to reality!

8 minutes ago, Cadan said:

China vaccine not on the approved list to travel to Europe - only AZ, Pfizer and Moderna, Johnson 

Probably approved soon:-

The executive commission also proposed permitting EU member nations to decide individually whether to allow in travelers immunized with vaccines approved by the World Health Organisation for emergency use, which include the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The reply, if you get one, will probably be along the lines "sorry no riff raff".

3 hours ago, HanSRT10 said:

rumour has it the Dutch embassy staff got their vaccination....  For the rest of the Dutch they dont seem to care much.

Let me tell you a secret ???? they never did.

I am dutch and if you don't do it yourself nobody will do it for you . And if you are dutch you will understand the phrace, they send you from the closet to the wall ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The British government has already stated that as much as they would like to vaccinate their own expats living in Thailand, they don't currently have any syringes with long enough needles...

Excellent joke!!! Made my day, but sadly - most here won't get it ????

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the Chinese are going to Vaccinate their people with Sinovac.

Or, as I suspect, they will possibly use Sinopharm Vaccine which is WHO approved.

And if a person has any issues with the Vaccination process, who is going to pickup the Hospital Bills. Probably the Chinese as they will be Vaccinated on Chinese Soil.

5 minutes ago, Freigeist365 said:

Good on them (the Chinese Expats)... Let's just hope the Chinese vaccines are as reliable as the electric power tools they export to all over the word... 

Time to cast away your prejudice. It's repeative and unhelpful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/opinion/covid-vaccines-china-russia.html

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word

6 hours ago, Mackstask said:

Their welcome to their The Sinovac vaccine, I'd rather take my chances and go without.

Think Sinovac is a normal vaccine and not the new unoroved vaccine. So I would go for Sinovac any day 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, slsmith38 said:

I know I am wasting my time with this post but have any of you Sinovac bashers actually had any real dealings with the Chinese, worked with Chinese companies and spent time in China at Chinese manufacturing facilities? I personally have for many years and have a lot of respect for what the Chinese can do well. Have a look at all your belongings and see how many were made in China. You have a perception based on very little factual information. I do not believe the Chinese vaccines are any worse or better than other brands and they did use tried and tested methods in their development – unlike Pfizer and others. Also, please don’t quote efficacy results as all the vaccines were tested under completely different circumstances and stages of the pandemic. I admit it would not be my first choice as it is not yet recognized internationally which makes travel more difficult, but if I could get a Sinovac jab tomorrow I would certainly take it.

I also note that both the Chinese vaccines Sinovac (CoronaVac) or Sinopharm (BIBP) are 'traditional' inactivated type vaccines and not the new mRNA gene therapy vaccines that use the as-yet untested viral vector mRNA technology  adopted by Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca or Sputnik V. If I was to ever to get a vaccine I would only get it after this current "experimental" test stage was over and only use the tried and tested Inactivated vaccine type only and not the viral vector mRNA type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

So PC  or should that be PRC is where they are.

Brian holds a Bachelor’s degree in Law from Cambridge University. He speaks Mandarin Chinese, French and rusty Lithuanian and is currently studying Thai. Brian married his husband, Scott, in 2014 in one of the first same-sex marriages performed at the British Embassy Beijing. They are now the happy parents of three children.

Assuming Brian's husband Scott came with him to Bangkok I wonder what visa Scott is on given Thailand doesn't recognize same-sex marriages?