Foreigners in Thailand can register for vaccine from June 7

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

This announcement clearly says passports will be cool.

No need for a pink card, yellow book, tax ID, or even fishing license to get vaccinated in Thailand, right?

correct. Though with a Thai ID card, one would be able to make appointment on phone app (if able to navigate the Thai language.), otherwise have to do it in person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, I'm an at least 4 "lists", hopefully one of them will come good.

Judging by what has happened at Bumrungrad these lists aren't worth much if anything.

Need to keep calling until you catch them at a time when they are issuing actual appointments. They will probably not take the time to track down people on a waiting list when that happens. Bumrungrad didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

i ran into the exact same thing initially, as a result of the Ampur simply not knowing abut the system for issuing yellow books.

'

I called the government help line and let them explain to the Ampur. Number was 1111, I don't know if still operational. The Ombudsman offices (1676) would be another option since the officials are refusing to comply with the civil registration act.

Of course do all this politely (but firmly). Simply sticking your guns and making it clear you know this can be done and are prepared to complain up the line if it is not, will often  work.

Note that not only are you allowed to be listed in  a yellow book, you are required to under the Civil registration act. It s seldom enforced for foreigners, but it is the case.

thanks Sheryl.

I may give it another whirl after covid is over.

Don't fancy going to a government building full of people at the minute.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

We're ahead of the game. I registered at Pattaya Memorial Hospital on Wednesday, Jab will be Moderna done in October.

At last some positive news from Pattaya !!

There is no guarantee at all that they will have Moderna in October.

In fact, at this stage it seems unlikely.

Private hospitals have been instructed not to issue appointments until they actually have vaccine, so they were not supposed to have done this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pookiki said:

What was not clear to me - as it specifically relates to Bangkok - is whether the two registration centers (Vimut and Bang Rak) are the only places to register or can we go to the hospital that has our medical records as well? Given the number of foreigners in Bangkok, I am doubtful that there will be any same day jabs.

i don't think there is any restriction, especially not for private hospitals. Possible that government hospitals would turn you away and say to go to these places.

They seem to think that foreigners will need a special site with English speakers posted at it, which of course is nonsense (and I would not put much stock in the English  capacity of the staff who actually appear at these designated sites.). Hence the designation.

Plenty of people have gotten appointments at other Bangkok hospitals. But they are filling up  fast. And others are still waiting to confirm their vaccine allotment from government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

I would guess the sooner you register, the more likely you are to get the Chinese one.

I also think no one will be given a choice till much later in the year. It's a bit of a dilemma for over 60s (me) as they seem to now say its ok for the older age group.

I think I will play the long game and sit tight for now to see how it flip flops develops.

I can imagine large crowds on the 7th too, not a great idea.

They have said, several times, that the Phase II vaccination of over 60's and high risk will be with AZ. Though what hospitals may do if they run short of it is another matter.

no one is ever going ti be given a choice  of vaccine at the government hospitals. May be possible at private hospitals IF they have more than one on hand.

There will indeed be more AZ available as time passes. Pretty certain that anyone under 60 vaccinated in June or early July  is going to get Sinovac as the expected AZ delivery barely meets the requirement for the over 60's.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WineOh said:

What happened to the app they were banging on about yesterday?

Windows 95 playing up again? ???? 

Read the article. It says -

This is because Thailand does not have a central database for foreigners residing in the kingdom, with data spread across multiple agencies. 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It was only decided yesterday afternoon and publicly announced midday today by the government...

Give them a little time to get the word out to the hundreds of hospitals around the country and for those hospitals to bring their staffs up to speed accordingly.

Here's an idea, do that FIRST then announce it, I bet the hospitals will say the same next week. We have this amazing invention called email, they can tell all in a few seconds.

Just now, elwood said:

Read the article. It says -

This is because Thailand does not have a central database for foreigners residing in the kingdom, with data spread across multiple agencies. 

so all provinces have separate databases at immigration offices, could combine them in a couple of hours

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is no guarantee at all that they will have Moderna in October.

In fact, at this stage it seems unlikely.

Private hospitals have been instructed not to issue appointments until they actually have vaccine, so they were not supposed to have done this.

But the government are issuing appointments without enough vaccines, or do they have over 7 million now?

• Confused 1

Sounds like it's going to be in person registrations for foreign nationals, no mobile app registration.

For foreigners who have Thai ID number it is possible to use the app and the app can verify you.

This verification issue is regarding those without Thai ID number so not in that system. All this work on a foreigner app was around that issue of how to verify people without an ID number.

Now why they are so obsessed with being able to verify ID, I could not tell you. It's not like there is reason to suspect people will  get vaccinated multiple times using  different aliases...But they are. Not just with this, similar issues have arisen with other things in the past. Thai bureaucracy  obsessed with ID verification and used to doing it based on Thai ID number, without which almost nothing is allowed. Even 7-1 member cards...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Not necessarily...

You need to distinguish between the GOVERNMENT's COVID vaccinations registration system vs. the separate route envisioned for PRIVATE HOSPITALS to eventually end up selling likely other vaccines, probably Moderna, for a fee.

The government registration process will begin June 7 and likely involve the Sinovac and/or AstraZeneca vaccines.

Thus far, there's been little to no word on the exact timing of when private hospital vaccinations with the Moderna vaccine might begin, AFAIK. But various private hospitals have been keeping "interest" lists from would-be patients.

AFAIK, the two routes and separate and distinct.

correct except i would say the govt process already opened on 1 May for those over 60 or with chronic illness. It is now closed  for that as the maximum number was reached and will reopen in  for the general public.  But there is no reason to assume that anyone able to register then won't get vaccinated. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For foreigners who have Thai ID number it is possible to use the app and the app can verify you.

This verification issue is regarding those without Thai ID number so not in that system. All this work on a foreigner app was around that issue of how to verify people without an ID number.

Now why they are so obsessed with being able to verify ID, I could not tell you. It's not like there is reason to suspect people will  get vaccinated multiple times using  different aliases...But they are. Not just with this, similar issues have arisen with other things in the past. Thai bureaucracy  obsessed with ID verification and used to doing it based on Thai ID number, without which almost nothing is allowed. Even 7-1 member cards...

As someone without a Thai ID card, I'm always thinking in that realm... and tend to forget there's another class of foreigners who in fact have them.  ????

For me and my kindred Thai ID less folks, the idea of app registration is a dead duck.

But for whatever it's worth, the briefing today did not address what's going to happen with Thai ID farangs who've already made appointments via Mor Prom... since that was never really an official route for general public  farangs as far as the central government was concerned.

And if you saw Richard Barrow's account on Twitter earlier today, it wasn't good news.  He and other farangs in his school group were canceled (though I don't believe he was clear on exactly how their original vaccine reservations were made).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

But the government are issuing appointments without enough vaccines, or do they have over 7 million now?

Government registrations are being based on actual expected vaccine delivery dates based on commitments from suppliers.

Moderna has not even been ordered yet much less order accepted and a projected delivery date provided.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Presumably (though not specified) the appointments of the many foreigners with ID numbers who registered on the Mor Prom Thai app will be honored. ...time will tell.

Or maybe not:

Richard Barrow
@RichardBarrow
Some of our teachers went to have their vaccine today. Like me, they registered on 13 May. However, unlike me they received an SMS yesterday for their appointment. The 26 foreigners, including myself, who registered on 13 May had their names removed from the queue. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Sheryl,

Perhaps a tad off topic but in your opinion IF this new announcement pans out, what about vaccine brand for those the register with this new system?

Especially for people over 60?

Will they even be told if its Sinovac or Astra-Zenica?

If told, if the expat refuses Sinovac, is it game over?

Personally and I know I'm not alone, I have a real problem with Sinovac.

The U.S. embassy last time I checked does not recommend it or Sputnik.

It appears possible or even likely that it won't be recognized as a credible vaccine for some international travel destinations when vaccine proof is required.

People over 60 will likely get AZ unless the hospital, has run out of it.

People under 60 if vaccinated between now and say early July will likely get Sinovac, there is nto going to be enough AZ for them.  After that and if the AZ deliveries are as planned, hard to say.

You can ask what vaccine is being given. You can ask to see the vial (will likely be right out there in plain view). How they will react to that, is another matter. Likely to go over better at a priavte hospital than a public one.

If you want to refuse and leave, up to you.I don't think it will preclude getting another appointment at a different hospital though of course this will cause a delay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another Thai bashing post has been removed.

Cease and desist.

People are turning to this thread for concrete information of great importance to them and trolling of this sort will absolutely not be tolerated.

• Like 1

Let's face it folks, the UK variant is here and the Indian variant was identified in a workers' comp in Laksi TODAY.  I'm not going to refuse to be vaccinated because of the vaccine offered. I'm more worried about my mortality than international travel at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think his point is illogical.

Could be months, I suppose, but it could be days just as easily;  as you said "who knows?", so no need to disparage everything they do for the sake of it

I expect that it depends on how many foreigners there are "on the books". Big cities it could take some time to put it all together. Where I am registered, (rural Chiang Rai) I would doubt that there are more than a dozen of us (if that) on the books - hopefully quite quick.

• Like 1