Foreigners in Thailand can register for vaccine from June 7

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You can ask what vaccine is being given. You can ask to see the vial (will likely be right out there in plain view). How they will react to that, is another matter. Likely to go over better at a priavte hospital than a public one.

If you want to refuse and leave, up to you.I don't think it will preclude getting another appointment at a different hospital though of course this will cause a delay.

That scenario would be an interesting one... should it come to pass....

For me, based on the way the process was described today, I'm expecting at least in BKK that the registration process will be one day, and then likely a subsequent day for getting the actual shot via appointment...  I'd certainly be planning to ask when I to register, what vaccine am I signing up for...  and hopefully would get an answer then, if not beforehand....

The question of which vaccine(s) are going to be used for the foreigner vaccination program also has been specifically asked, and not answered in public yet, though hopefully there will be some more clarity provided on that before the June 7 registration start date arrives...  And as you pointed out, at this point, it's really only going to be no more than either Sinovac or AZ in the government vaccine program for the foreseeable future.

I'd hate to ponder how the Thai medical bureaucracy is gonna respond, if some farang registers for a vaccine, then later shows up for the vaccine appointment, and then at that point demurs and says, NO, don't want the vaccine you're planning to give me.... Will they get a second bite of the apple later perhaps with a different vaccine if they reject their first appointment???   Hmmm.....

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

They have said, several times, that the Phase II vaccination of over 60's and high risk will be with AZ. Though what hospitals may do if they run short of it is another matter.

That was my understanding "initially" also, until a week or so ago when the Thai FDA approved Sinovac for folks over 60 which says to me an over 60 could get either the Sinovac or AstraZeneca.

And with AstraZeneca being in very short supply right now, but plenty of Sinovac I expect an over 60 person would be likely to get Sinovac right now.   

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

What happened to the setting up of specific centres for foreigners with English speaking staff to take medical info and avoid any misunderstandings? Is that gone away along with the APP?

You didn't really believe that, did you? 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Headline for tomorrow - "Sorry it was all a misunderstanding".

This place has more flip-flops than our shoe rack.

Just love the shoe rack comment a real classic.... 

• Like 1

Breaking News indeed.

This persistent situation where one official is saying one thing just to be contradicted by yet another official the next day, only to be overturned yet once more by a third official on the day thereafter is really breaking me.

On the other hand, it is eerily similar to the situation that apparently no centralized database for foreigners seems to exist --- in 2021 --- in a country that not too long ago hosted up to 39 million foreign tourists a year --- in a country that CURRENTLY still hosts tens if not hundreds of thousands of foreign residents, retirees, expats and stranded tourists. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Does he say where this was?

Believe his school is in Samut Prakan area of Bangkok.

Edit:  Sorry did not notice already answered.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd hate to ponder how the Thai medical bureaucracy is gonna respond, if some farang registers for a vaccine, then later shows up for the vaccine appointment, and then at that point demurs and says, NO, don't want the vaccine you're planning to give me.... Will they get a second bite of the apple later perhaps with a different vaccine if they reject their first appointment???   Hmmm.....

I shouldn't expect so, and frankly why should they? The Thai health system is battling both an unprecedented vaccination programme and an incompetent administration, why should they also have to put up with people attempting to dictate which brand they want?

If you get to the stage of rolling your sleeve up, and then say no, well then off you go.

You will find sympathy in the dictionary, between <deleted> and syphillis!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

This persistent situation where one official is saying one thing just to be contradicted by yet another official the next day, only to be overturned yet once more by a third official on the day thereafter is really breaking me.

I think you're overreacting to the reality of the situation...

In truth, apart from one errant report in the BKK Post and a Bangkok province spokesman's errant comments that he had no business commenting on, the central government has been pretty consistent in what they've been saying all along.

--They said foreigners would be included in the government vaccination program as far back as Feb., and they're making good on that promise.

--The only prior specific timeframe the central government gave for when general public foreigners could begin to register was originally late May/the start of June, and that was an estimate given a week or so back. Now as of today, they've pushed that back by a week to June 7 for the formal start of registrations.

--They originally said they'd develop or modify a mobile phone app to allow foreigners to register. And now as of today, they changed course on that to say all foreigner registrations from this point forward will be done via in person registrations at vaccination center sites.

But I'd agree, if all I was doing was someone casually reading the day's news headlines over the past couple months and not closely paying attention to what exactly was being said and by whom, I'd have a much more jaundiced view of what's transpired. All in all, as someone who has been paying close attention all along, noise aside, they've pretty well kept to their fundamental commitments thus far.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Many many retirees are here on extended tourist visa and not retiree visas"

Really? Isn't that illegal? How does that work? I'm not being facetious. How to you massage the system to do that? 

-----------------------------------------------------

"This is because Thailand does not have a central database for foreigners residing in the kingdom, with data spread across multiple agencies."

Continued good news for those on the lam....

Actually, if that's true, that's utterly bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--The only prior specific timeframe the central government gave for when general public foreigners could begin to register was originally late May/the start of June, and that was an estimate given a week or so back. Now as of today, they've pushed that back by a week to June 7 for the formal start of registrations.

--They originally said they'd develop or modify a mobile phone app to allow foreigners to register. And now as of today, they changed course on that to say all foreigner registrations from this point forward will be done via in person registrations at vaccination center sites.

But I'd agree, if all I was doing was someone casually reading the day's news headlines over the past couple months and not closely paying attention to what exactly was being said and by whom, I'd have a much more jaundiced view of what's transpired. All in all, as someone who has been paying close attention all along, noise aside, they've pretty well kept to their fundamental commitments thus far.

Hmm, yes, in general I would agree, although there have been some contradictory announcements from the health minister.

Mind you, I've seen him on TV, it's called interference!

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think you're overreacting to the reality of the situation...

In truth, apart from one errant report in the BKK Post and a Bangkok province spokesman's errant comments that he had no business commenting on, the central government has been pretty consistent in what they've been saying all along.

--They said foreigners would be included in the government vaccination program as far back as Feb., and they're making good on that promise.

Prior to this announcement, I was very dismayed and disgusted that foreigners were being pushed to the back of the bus.  I just hope this latest announcement isn't a charade and we will still have to wait until September or October to get our vaccinations!

59 minutes ago, Pib said:

That was my understanding "initially" also, until a week or so ago when the Thai FDA approved Sinovac for folks over 60 which says to me an over 60 could get either the Sinovac or AstraZeneca.

And with AstraZeneca being in very short supply right now, but plenty of Sinovac I expect an over 60 person would be likely to get Sinovac right now.   

They are supposed to receive 6 million doses AZ June 1 which is about the number registered in June and they cut off registration when that number was reached.

Even after they approved Sinovac for over 60's there have been several statements that the Phase II high risk will be with AZ. However, with about the right amount of AZ on hand for those registered in June  there is no way it will be the right amount at each location, every day. I think approving Sinovac for the over 60' was done to give the vaccination sites some flexibility in that situation.

As the months pass there will be more and more AZ on hand unless something goes very wrong with the local production.

4 hours ago, CLW said:

Errmm.... Is this a joke? What about immigration? Aren't they supposed to have information about all foreigners in the country? For what am I doing my 90 day report

Seems the "smart" BMW's can't communicate with each other.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Prior to this announcement, I was very dismayed and disgusted that foreigners were being pushed to the back of the bus

+1.

Last I checked, the virus didn’t discriminate according to nationality.

Add epidemiology to the long list of subjects these clowns don’t understand.

so, what hospitals are on the list!

as usual Thai. government puts out incomplete information!!

tomorrow they will change there minds!!

what if all your hospital records are at a hospital  that is not on the list not on the list.

are hospitals going to charge for the vaccination!!

not a well thought out statement, just another statment that will probably be changed again.

what vaccine will be available??

they will probably list the hospitals on june 6th. as they do not know what hospitals are going to partisapate yet.

1 hour ago, mancub said:

Serious question though .

Having lived here 15 years and never visited ( at least been treated) in a hospital, which medical records am I supposed to show ? 

Just register at a hospital which you can do anytime.

All they mean is that your details (name, address etc) and photocopy of your passport are on file. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

All they mean is that your details (name, address etc) and photocopy of your passport are on file. 

T

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Edited by mancub
error

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks for clarifying, was contemplating which minor (and painless) ailment to subject myself to in order to get on the books !

So as I understand it, if you get the Chinese SinoVac, you can't enter the EU, but you must have the SinoVac to enter mainland China. 

For Chinese citizens who venture abroad regularly, and western nationals wanting to pursue business opportunities in the world’s second-largest economy, a dilemma is emerging about which shot to opt for. China so far recognizes only Chinese-made shots, and its vaccines are not approved in the U.S. or Western Europe.

But as of two weeks ago, the EU was starting "rolling reviews" of SinoVac, per their request. 

I guess my thoughts are, since Thailand has more or less thrown its hat in the SinoVac ring, would you be wiser to wait for options or would you get the Chinese vaccine (efficacy and stated low confidence regarding side effects as listed by the WHO aside)?

If you are living here permanently, maybe it's of no consequence, but I have heard people wondering what to do vis a vis going back to the EU and the UK as well. 

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Happy days. Just wonder how long after the 7th June any of us will actually get the jab and if we will have any say in which one we get.

I registered through the Poo Yai Baan two weeks ago as I have a Thai ID number, also possible on the Mor Prom App. My appointment is 15/6.

Today the hospital advised all over 60's, Thai and Foreigners will receive the Astra Zeneca jab, whilst the under 60's will receive the Sinovac.

I suspect that may vary dependant on supplies.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Public hospitals?

Private hospitals?

Both?

All hospitals?

Have the hospitals been informed?

Government hospitals, yes they are fully aware.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Note the requirement if using  passport that the hospital have your medical records.

What if they don't?

Nothing to stop you registering if you haven't already.

Your asked to arrive 1 hour before your appointment time to have a medical evaluation and complete a medical questionnaire, so doesn't really matter if you have no previous medical record there.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

So as I understand it, if you get the Chinese SinoVac, you can't enter the EU, but you must have the SinoVac to enter mainland China. 

For Chinese citizens who venture abroad regularly, and western nationals wanting to pursue business opportunities in the world’s second-largest economy, a dilemma is emerging about which shot to opt for. China so far recognizes only Chinese-made shots, and its vaccines are not approved in the U.S. or Western Europe.

But as of two weeks ago, the EU was starting "rolling reviews" of SinoVac, per their request. 

I guess my thoughts are, since Thailand has more or less thrown its hat in the SinoVac ring, would you be wiser to wait for options or would you get the Chinese vaccine (efficacy and stated low confidence regarding side effects as listed by the WHO aside)?

If you are living here permanently, maybe it's of no consequence, but I have heard people wondering what to do vis a vis going back to the EU and the UK as well. 

Chuina recognizes vaccines approved i nthe US, at least for peopel travelling to Cghina from the US. Not sure if that would apply to someone travelling there from say Thailand.

"Despite rumors that the country would only grant travel visas to people who had gotten the China-created Sinovac vaccine, the Chinese embassy in the United States confirmed on April 20 that travelers with confirmed history of vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines would also be eligible. "

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/china-travel-covid-19/index.html

"April 20, 2021 at 11:26 a.m. GMT+7

China has begun accepting U.S. coronavirus vaccination records in travel applications to the country, as it seeks to negotiate mutual recognition of vaccine passports with other nations.

The Chinese Embassy in Washington said in an online notice late last week that ­Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccine records can be submitted as part of an application for a coronavirus QR “health code” — China’s version of a vaccine passport and a requirement to enter the country.

Previously, China said it would facilitate entry only for those who have received Chinese vaccines, drawing backlash in countries where they aren’t available. No foreign coronavirus vaccine has yet been approved for use within China.

The new consideration of Western vaccines reflects China’s efforts to open up again as the pandemic wanes in some parts of the world and countries consider types of vaccine passports that can ease a return to international travel."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-vaccine-passport-visas-covid/2021/04/20/8a6422d0-a14e-11eb-8a6d-f1b55f463112_story.html

They pretty well have to as otherwise they are de facto blocking all travel from EU, UK, and North America

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

We're ahead of the game. I registered at Pattaya Memorial Hospital on Wednesday, Jab will be Moderna done in October.

At last some positive news from Pattaya !!

October 2022 I presume my Thai GF has had her jab cancelled 3 times already and she is in a high risk category .

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Happy days. Just wonder how long after the 7th June any of us will actually get the jab and if we will have any say in which one we get.

I have an appointment at my local public hospital for a jab at 4 p.m. on 7 Jun. I've had it for about a week. I registered on the LINE app and scheduled it via the online app Mor Prom.

• Thanks 1