Thailand to restrict cattle, buffalo movements amid animal skin disease outbreak

webfact

cattle.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has ordered strict controls on the movement of cattle and buffaloes after an outbreak of an a virus that causes lumps to form on the animals' skin and can reduce milk production, a government official said on Sunday.

The rarely-fatal disease, which does not affect people and is thought to be spread by flies or mosquitoes, is new in Thailand and has already infected more than 6,700 cows and buffaloes in 35 provinces across the country, according to government deputy spokeswoman Traisulee Traisaranakul.

"The prime minister is concerned about the smuggling of cattle and buffaloes from neighbouring countries, which is an important factor in the spread of the disease, as well as unsanctioned domestic movement," Traisulee said.

She said animals should only be moved when it is necessary under the guidelines of the department of livestock development.

According to official livestock registration data, there are 6.2 million beef cattle, 707,000 dairy cattle and 1.2 millions buffaloes around Thailand.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-05-24

• Thanks 1

I'm well prepared to answer the never-ending sob stories from the Thai working girls about their sick family buffaloes: Have the buffaloes wear masks, stay socially distant from the other buffaloes, and don't believe anything Kuhn Anutin tells the buffaloes about when they can get vaccinated...

11 hours ago, George Bowman said:

I applaud the government officials for being on the ball. Hopefully, once this situation is taken care of, then strict controls on the movement of Thai drivers can be started.

If there are only 7600 animals infected with this disease then I believe in Santa.Isaan is riddled with this thing.

19 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If there are only 7600 animals infected with this disease then I believe in Santa.Isaan is riddled with this thing.

Well I don't have any evidence to say you are right or wrong. What I can say is that every day I see cows being moved on numerous pick-ups and the same can be said for buffaloes, in fact as many buffaloes in the back as driving in the cab.

• Haha 1