Thailand sees highest unemployment rate in 12 years in first quarter 2021

snoop1130

cbfa8674133d1707f88bd8e3c00b3346_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC) has reported that Thailand’s unemployment rate hit a 12-year high in the first quarter of 2021, due to the impact of the latest COVID-19 outbreaks.

NESDC secretary-general Danucha Pichayanan said the unemployment rate was 1.96% in the January-March quarter, or 758,000 people without jobs, up from 1.86% in the previous quarter. The rate was the highest since 2.08% recorded in the first quarter of 2009 during the global financial crisis.

He said the unemployment rate has increased dramatically and is expected to rise again, reflecting the ongoing impact of COVID-19. The prolonged COVID-19 outbreak may prevent the economy from growing as targeted, as economic activity has slowed again.

Mr. Danucha said the outbreak will delay a recovery in tourism, affecting more than 7 million of the sector’s workers. However, the number of employed workers reached 37.6 million in the first quarter, up 0.4% from a year ago, due to higher employment in the agricultural sector, which has absorbed some of the workers laid off in other sectors since 2020.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-05-25

24 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Mr. Danucha said the outbreak will delay a recovery in tourism, affecting more than 7 million of the sector’s workers. However, the number of employed workers reached 37.6 million in the first quarter, up 0.4% from a year ago, due to higher employment in the agricultural sector, which has absorbed some of the workers laid off in other sectors since 2020.

Which businesses absorbed these displaced workers is the bigger question.

Ridiculous "news".

Given that Thailand, prior to the pandemic had over several decades  established a tourism sector which also supported  a service  sector  to cater to those employed in it, why is this  some shock revelation?

The global impact has  been huge.

I would think it is well acknowledged already have been  many estimations, predictions, speculations, justifictionaltions, and numerous  otherations !

Perhaps the important aspect is "Whatcha gonna do about It?"

Thailand has lost 20% of its income GDP, so it has to surely be impossible for an economy to say unemployment is less than 2%.

The rubbish Thailand is spouting about these figures must be equal to the creation of about 6,000,000 jobs to offset the loss in tourism jobs of 7 million. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Perhaps all the unemployed thais can take the construction jobs from the migrants?

stop the overcrowding and covid clusters?

kill 2 birds with one stone!

You think to mut

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Excel said:

Unfortunately the protected billionaire families prefer to employ migrants at less then the minimum wage in order to improve their margins . Having to pay solely Thais the minimum wage with no migrant workers will seriously effect their skiing plans, overseas investments  and birthday present donations later this year

As an employer I'm not convinced it's common to pay migrant labor less than minimum wage. Over the years we've employed several, always legally and always same a our Thai staff. Other employees have said similar, they employ migrants because they stay.

I'm not sure posters here realize just how difficult it's been to get reliable employees. Even with no tourism unemployment is only at 2%

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Smithson said:

As an employer I'm not convinced it's common to pay migrant labor less than minimum wage. Over the years we've employed several, always legally and always same a our Thai staff. Other employees have said similar, they employ migrants because they stay.

I'm not sure posters here realize just how difficult it's been to get reliable employees. Even with no tourism unemployment is only at 2%

I wouldn't expect anyone to come on here and admit that they employ migrant workers illegally and/or at less than the minimum wage as that would be just stupid.  But it is not you I am talking about. It is the protected billionaire owners. Around the country there are several of their business concerns. Whilst they may keep their labour in their own labour camps they can not all be kept away from the locals.  

29 minutes ago, Excel said:

I wouldn't expect anyone to come on here and admit that they employ migrant workers illegally and/or at less than the minimum wage as that would be just stupid.  But it is not you I am talking about. It is the protected billionaire owners. Around the country there are several of their business concerns. Whilst they may keep their labour in their own labour camps they can not all be kept away from the locals.  

I don't think it's that easy to employ illegal migrants on building sites and I think if it was the case we'd be hearing about it now. They are too visible and too accessible in their worker dorms. In the agricultural sector I think you'd find many and possibly in some factories. Many of these workers wouldn't have passports. If you go back 15 years many Bkk household's had Burmese maids, it's not the case now.  As one employer told me "Workers are so hard to find these days, even migrants can pick and choose jobs".

3 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Perhaps all the unemployed thais can take the construction jobs from the migrants?

stop the overcrowding and covid clusters?

kill 2 birds with one stone!

They would still be in staying workers camps, but at least they wouldn't cross borders. I can't see the Thais rushing to fill construction jobs though.

4 hours ago, Excel said:

Employ Thai women then, not Thai men.

Husband and Wife although she eats and talks  more than she works, I'd  happily employ anyone. They've been here 6  months they  both need  to be  followed  round  daily, she can't  clean for toffee, cleans round the sofa  never  moves it and it's  not  heavy, told  them both about 5  times, remember for 1  day then forgotten. Oh well they'll be on the Burmese scrapheap in a week.

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Which businesses absorbed these displaced workers is the bigger question.

The increased numbers cited as absorbed by the agricultural sector is just a plug as they have no way of knowing the numbers.  Most are casual day laborers not in the social security system. Thai agriculture is hugely inefficient with lots of underemployment and seasonal unemployment.