Video: Chinese media critical of Thai police in damning footage from cop shooting at luxury house

webfact

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Even my cheap CCTV system has an internet connection and uploads everything to the cloud. Anyone whom I give the password can view and download the images.

Yeh but would the Chinese state media post it and defend you if you shot two cops in another country?

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

I thought they were gangsters too. Why aren't they wearing police uniforms ?

Let's put this to bed shall we? It is a fact that not wearing uniforms is common practice in situations like this all over the world.

"Law enforcement officers who wear plainclothes. This method is used by law enforcement and intelligence agencies. To wear plainclothes is to wear civilian clothes, instead of wearing a uniform, to avoid detection or identification as a law enforcement officer"

Capsssture.PNG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

No. We're all told that nothing like this goes on state media without a nod from the CCP. When it comes to China, we don't know squat.

We?  Do not include me in that we.

On the surface this is just another example of the incompetence and lack of professionalism of the RTP.  Yes, it is plausible. However, one never knows if there has been skillful editing at the China end of the presentation. We have edited CCTV recording do we not? Lost in story is whether or not this person was operating a gambling operation as stated in the warrant. Gambling operators are cruel and violent thugs, so this should be kept in mind. Maybe he was innocent and just a nice man, but we do not know.

This specific story plays to the current Chinese strategy of portraying the Chinese people of being at risk from foreign governments and in need of the protection of the Chinese military. It is a constant theme in mainland Chinese movies and in television dramas: Chinese even in the diaspora must stick together and support and help the motherland. In return, the motherland will protect them wherever they may be. I was on a pre Covid flight and the Chinese language movies shown onboard pushed this theme. One was about a security guard in Japan taking on the bad Japanese. Another was about a special agent sent to Africa to deal with bad westerners and ungrateful Africans.  The Thai event is perfect for promotion of the Chinese theme.

I know enough to accept that the Chinese military industrial complex controls the Chinese and some foreign media. A government political officer - a media liason had to clear the story. Yes I believe that the RTP blundered, but the Chinese national maynot be the sweet innocent victim as portrayed and it is also likely we are being given a story that promotes an excuse for the Chinese national.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, covidiot said:

https://people.howstuffworks.com/swat-team.htm

A high-risk warrant - If the police are going to conduct an arrest at a home, and they know the person is likely to be armed, they will call in the SWAT team to perform the arrest.

Did you read my quote from Wikipedia about plain clothes law enforcement/ intelligence agencies ?

p.s they were not a swat team did you see any long rifles?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, tgw said:

err... civilian cars, civilian clothing, not a single police badge visible... what on earth did they think?

Err...none of those officers were facing the cameras so how do you know that there were no visible police IDs?     What were the police shouting at around 1:34?  Sounds like "Police!  Police!" to me.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Considering that a big news story from Bangkok where a Thai police officer had been implicated in an abduction preceded this incident by just a few weeks, this Chinese guy's claim that he feared something similar was about to happen to him cannot be dismissed out of hand.

It doesn't help that I don't see any evidence of professional police work in these videos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

now it looks completely different. a gang of civilians who come rushing with 3 cars and run unannounced on the property.

As there was no audio on the first part of the video how do you know that they did not verbally ID themselves as they did on the second part; they can be heard shouting "Police, police!"

1 hour ago, covidiot said:
1 hour ago, JamieM said:

Let's put this to bed shall we?

A high-risk warrant - If the police are going to conduct an arrest at a home, and they know the person is likely to be armed, they will call in the SWAT team to perform the arrest.

What have US SWAT teams' procedures got to do with the Thai police?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, covidiot said:
2 hours ago, JamieM said:

Let's put this to bed shall we?

There was no Thai SWAT team involved in the initial raid.  They were all plainclothes officers.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Commenting on the footage now that it has been widely shared in China, the suspect's lawyer Anirut Khongsap said to the public:

"You decide the truth".

It was clear he feels his client has a clear defence for his actions.

well at least there is no need for the expense of a trial in a court of law.......

6 minutes ago, covidiot said:

Deputy national police chief Pol Gen Suchart Theerasawat said police had followed proper procedure

I thought that proper procedure was to invite the suspect to attend the police station at a convenient time, then grant them bail so they could travel abroad to conduct some important business.

• Haha 1

I've seen scenes like that in Netflix's Narcos when one cartel is out to kill another cartel. No wonder the dude freaked. How's he suppose to know they're cops?  They sort of look like cartel members. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What have US SWAT teams' procedures got to do with the Thai police?

Good to compare notes Liverpool Lou .

As in the army , Thai troops work with US troops in training exercises . 

Many laws in Thailand are based on US laws . Labor law for example .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1