30 year anniversary: How the Lauda Air crash in Suphanburi caused national soul-searching

webfact

I remember the crash and was saddened by reports of looting

of the deceased, there were also looters on an a truck and trailer

carrying explosives ,that turned over in Phuket , those looters were

not so lucky when it exploded.

regards Worgeordie 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"A cemetery exists at the site of the crash." is not correct. The Lauda Air Cemetery is in Sa Kaeo Sub-district of Suphan Buri, close to Wat Sa Kaeo Si Sanphet. I visited the site in February 2018 and felt pity to find the place not well maintained.

The land for the cemetery was offered by the family of the Chiang Mai Governor, of which five members including Governor Pairat Decharin and his wife, perished in the crash. Under a shelter, there are the plaques of those who died in the crash, while in front of the shelter is a small burial area for the 23 victims whose identity could not be ascertained. The burial area is marked with a cross and a plaque with the names of those buried there. [Source: Air Crash Investigations: Suddenly Falling Apart the Crash of Lauda Air Flight NG 004 - Hank Williamson (2011)].

On the crash site is a pavilion with a standing Buddha (poorly or not maintained) and a small funeral chedi where looters made holes to loot the contents. My visit was three years ago, so I do not know if the sites were improved today, but I fear.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The incident was Thailand's worst aviation disaster but is remembered for the disgraceful scenes as members of the public and rescue foundation staff openly looted the bodies of dead passengers. 

Items like jewelry and passports went missing shocking relatives. Media at the time even reported tables set up to trade in the possessions of the dead.

This led to much national soul-searching at the time centered around the moral ethics of Thai people.

Simply shocking and doesn't bear thinking about.

Edited by xylophone

47 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Very sad.  I remember the looting was only stopped at the insistence of some hi-sos whose relatives had perished in the crash.  In addition to the Chiang Mai governor, I think a couple of the Queen's ladies in waiting were amongst the victims.  But the police stopped it far too late.  I remember one rescue worker was caught coming down the hill in an expensive looking sweater which turned out to be covering up valuables strapped to his body.  I remember there was another crash of a flight to Samui around the same time where locals were allowed to rummage through the luggage and no hi-sos intervened.

"This led to much national soul-searching at the time centered around the moral ethics of Thai people."

Some may argue that this soul searching passed in a few seconds without changing anything.

I remember the Samui crash very well. it was I think the first flight to Samui ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Airways_Flight_125

They were Ghouls, and it also happened in Queens New York City. Eastern Air Lines Flight 66 was a regularly scheduled flight from New Orleans to New York City that crashed on June 24, 1975 while on approach to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, killing 113 of the 124 people on board. With the local "minority community looting the crash scene. I remember as a teenager watching the news teams showing the looting. They never reran the footage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember this accident horrible and the looting disgraceful there was an excellent documentary on this incident on the smitthonian channel mr lauda was instrumental in getting to the reason they lost control (at speed and altitude the the thrust reverser deployment was unsurivable) they only tested this condition at low altitude and speed during the certification process extra locks and safeguards were added to the system to guard against a repeat accident sad 

• Thanks 1

Back in those days it was like the wild wild east and a way bit scandalous to say the least. But I also must say that back then those were absolutely some of my happiest times here bar none. Not condoning the looting as is just sick greedy minded, but Oh to be able to go back in time and spend a month with having that daily in and out of 24 hours of no rules and self abandonment I would gladly pay a kings ransom to be able to do again. Give me the option of traveling to see space or traveling back in time, no brainer for me.. .