Frying Pan Induction

Finlaco

Hi 

Anyone have a recommendation for a frying pan for an induction cooker which they bought in Thailand.

For the older members, induction cookers work only with pans that are designed for induction cooking.  

Keep safe and thanks.

Tefal.  Everywhere here. Try HomePro. That's where I bought my one, or maybe PowerBuy.

Or if you want top quality, try the Home ware department in Siam Paragon. £rd or 4th Floor I think. They have lots of European, Japanese and American stainless steel cookware, but not cheap.

Edited by phetphet

Many of the frying pans these days will be suitable for induction hobs, and most have this on the printed information with them. Although the very cheap aluminium ones won't.

These days most of the pans are made out of aluminium, which is no good for an induction cooker, however to get over that, small "pellets/studs" of metal are embedded in the base and these can be easily seen when turning the pan over, and these pans work just fine.

My advice when using induction cooktops us getting as heavy a pan as you can to diffuse the heat better. The power levels on these units are not regulated too well and thin pans will cause hotspots near the center and will make cooking more difficult.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finlaco said:

@phetphet@orchis @xylophone  @AlohaThailand   

Thanks for all your amazing answers. Would you mind expanding on the induction pan models which you bought in Thailand and are recommending. Its ok, if you haven't actually got a model to recommend, just move onto the next topic in the Form.

Keep safe

You don't say if you would prefer a non stick or a stainless one. That is why I said there were more choices at Siam Paragon. Although you can probably find in most big malls. 

I have a non stick frying pan and a non stick flat bottomed wok, both by Tefal that I use on an induction oven top.

I think they were So Chef range, but not quite sure as I bought them a while ago. they have the dark grey non stick coating. There is another range with a light grey coating, but I don't know if that is just a different colour or a totally different type of coating.

They serve my purpose, do the job, but starting to get chips in the non stick.

Recommendations? If I had the money I would go for one of the stainless steel ones, such as Le Creuset or Zwilling, but as I said in my earlier post, very expensive here. 

I think there is a Tefal Flagship store on Lazada so you might be able to view their full range there.

HTH

2 hours ago, Finlaco said:

@phetphet@orchis @xylophone  @AlohaThailand   

Thanks for all your amazing answers. Would you mind expanding on the induction pan models which you bought in Thailand and are recommending. Its ok, if you haven't actually got a model to recommend, just move onto the next topic in the Form.

Keep safe

1 - Seagull Gladiator Professional Induction

2 - Meyer Cook'n look induction

I have a collection of each of the above and they're just perfect.

The above covers all you will ever need.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

I'll probably get raked for this.. But if you want a budget oriented option,  I have two nice fry pans from Mr. DIY with nonstick marble gray coating that have served me faithfully for three years now. The key with nonstick coatings is to never use metal utensils and to let them cool before washing. They last a long time if you just take simple precautions. 

Edited by tonray

23 hours ago, phetphet said:

Tefal.  Everywhere here. Try HomePro. That's where I bought my one, or maybe PowerBuy.

Or if you want top quality, try the Home ware department in Siam Paragon. £rd or 4th Floor I think. They have lots of European, Japanese and American stainless steel cookware, but not cheap.

Tefal's ok.  But be careful with some of their product lines.  I have a mid-range pan from them (mid-range as in it was priced about in the middle between their cheapest and most expensive) that bows up in the middle.  Crack an egg and it'll slowly run towards all sides.  Thought it was a defect but it's by design.  Quite annoying!

Ikea makes 4 or 5 different kinds of pans, in several sizes.  Most are induction compatible (I recall one wasn't).  All their products are clearly labeled.  The top end pans come with 5 or 10 year warranties too.

Central Chidlom and Central Silom Complex have a great selection of many. Paragon also, but very pricey there. As others pointed out, get a heavy pan. The labels tell you if it is induction compatible. Most heavy pans are.

They all eventually warp, especially larger pans (except cast iron). Central Silom recently had a 50% off sale, and I bought a couple of good ones.

12 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Ikea makes 4 or 5 different kinds of pans, in several sizes.  Most are induction compatible (I recall one wasn't).  All their products are clearly labeled.  The top end pans come with 5 or 10 year

I'll second that.  I have a ribbed grill pan from Ikea  and it's great.. Heavy and easy to cook and clean 

And for me personally, the type of handle is also key............I always buy a pan which has a really strong handle, either seamless, welded or with chunky rivets etc. Never flimsy metal, wooden (except wok), any type of hard plastic and anything with a screw in it........... Generaly, if it looks Tonka, it more than likely is.........

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, AlohaThailand said:

To make sure the pan works on an induction cooktop, just get a magnet and stick it to the bottom of the pan. If it sticks, it will work with induction. If it doesn't stick, it won't work. 

This is the Gold standard to test cookware for induction capability........MAGNETS.....The stroger a magnet stick to a pan the better it works on a induction stove......