Vaccination of foreigners. What now?

Oxx

in the end, IMO foreigners will be vacinated with Thais with minor delays. 

Can you define "minor delays"?

I am under 60 and healthy(I do not have underlying health conditions).  Therefore, I believe my vaccine priority status will be???  Essentially we are in June 2021.  The vulnerable Thai population should come first and I do not believe all those in this category have not been vaccinated yet(I know very nice lady who runs a coffee shop in CNX and her mother who is in the vulnerable category has not obtained an appointment yet)  

Even with the procurement of the new Chinese Vaccines it will take a long time to go down the list of those who want to be vaccinated in LOS.  I am planning a trip to Los Angeles in about 45 to 60 days just to get vaccinated.  I am planning on thig being a One Way journey because one time in Quarantine in BKK is enough to last a lifetime.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am under 60 and healthy(I do not have underlying health conditions).  Therefore, I believe my vaccine priority status will be???  Essentially we are in June 2021.  The vulnerable Thai population should come first and I do not believe all those in this category have not been vaccinated yet(I know very nice lady who runs a coffee shop in CNX and her mother who is in the vulnerable category has not obtained an appointment yet)  

Even with the procurement of the new Chinese Vaccines it will take a long time to go down the list of those who want to be vaccinated in LOS.  I am planning a trip to Los Angeles in about 45 to 60 days just to get vaccinated.  I am planning on thig being a One Way journey because one time in Quarantine in BKK is enough to last a lifetime.  

no problem getting the shot right away in los angeles now. http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/ncorona2019/vaccine/hcwsignup/

Edited by DerbyDan

Getting the Astrazeneca vaccine could be problematic in my case.  Hypothetically speaking if I get my first dose of AZ in October then according to the current Thailand plan my second dose would be in 16 weeks.  My current Visa expires in early January 2022.  This would be outside of  the 16 week window.  At this point I do not plan on extending.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

9 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

How many times must we register?  I have registered and re-registered with Bumrungrad many times.  I have confirmed my contact information with them many times. They have always said that they will notify me when a vaccination is available but I have heard nothing.  In the meantime, I read of foreigners scheduled for vaccinations in early June.  Must I also register with the new government list that just opened today?  How can I know whether a registration is valid or not?  I am a 78-year-old man with a heart condition so am in the most vulnerable cohort.  

I have contacted Bumrungrad 4-5 times and the answer is always that I will be notified.  With the growth in the number of infections in Bangkok, I am ready to pack an overnight bag and flee to America.  The lack of dependable information has me very worried.

dude, chill, you are a guest here, so please obey the house rules, there is always a flight to US. As for Bumrungrad, they are contacted me through the app and confirmed that since i have a medical record there, they will contact me for appointment. I am 60 with no conditions

no problem getting the shot right away in los angeles now.

I know.  But this could be my last run in LOs and I want to squeeze out at least 2 more months on this current visa because I spent so much money on ASQ and the upgraded health insurance to meet the COE requirement.  In short I want something in return for my investment in coming back to LOS.  I figure if I can get 6 months in LOS this time then it was worth it.  Getting the Pfizer vaccine requires at least 21 days and then a few more weeks to get the antifbodies to build up in my system.  By my estimation I would need at least 2 months for a reasonable amount of protection from antibodies to build up.  By that time I could be living in Dallas or San Antonio.  

23 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

dude, chill, you are a guest here, so please obey the house rules, there is always a flight to US.

What does this even mean? We have an elderly man with an underlying condition who is being given the runaround by one of Bangkok's leading hospitals.He has every right to be dispirited and concerned.He, and many others, would be satisfied with a simple statement of the truth even if this was simply to say vaccines are not currently available, and information will be provided when available.One half expects (and quite often gets gets) gross incompetence from the Thai Government and its agencies.However I don't see there's any excuse for Bumrungrad not to be diligent, courteous and efficient.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah but how long will people have to wait?

Ever heard of the cliche 

Justice delayed 

Justice denied?

Well arguably that could be applied to vaccines. 

Dont care, will wait till vaccine here. The CCP can stick their vaccine where the sun dont shine.

9 hours ago, edwarda909 said:

When the vaccine is available for non-Thais it is quite possible the AstraZenaca vaccine will be an option if available. The AstraZenaca vaccine is supported by Chiang Mai Public Health.

If available. with Thais hesitant to have the CCP vaccines, Maybe a shortage of all other vaccines especially the way this government is handling the virus.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, qwertyuiop said:

^ Similar situation to Saltire. I live up in Isaan. I was contacted by the local health volunteers a few weeks ago. I had all my details taken.

I have not heard from them since, but I also believe that to be the same situation for the whole village Thai or non-Thai.

From everything I have read it would appear that there are not enough doses to go around yet so some areas will have to be more patient than others

My wife had a call from the village head yesterday asking if I wanted to be vaccinated at the local centre when it starts up, which will be late June as they are waiting for the vaccine from the AZ facility.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rbkk said:

If you qualified (Over 60 +/or one of seven listed illnesses) and were on the target list send to Government by the hospitals.

Quote: Hospitals have uploaded 16 million targeted names. Those who do not find their names in the system will not be able to register.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210429140959140

I was uploaded by the hospital but for that to happen you had to be registered at the hospital with your Thai ID number.

I know someone who goes to the same hospital, about the same age but in a worse position than I am and didn't get uploaded because he was registered with passport.

I suspect many that have been here a while never bothered to change their registration when they got the pink card.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I also registered using Mor Prom and have an appointment for 7 June at the public hospital, but I thought I read that foreigners cannot use that as it is for Thai's only.

Anyone have a clear understanding of the above ?

Unfortunately I can tell you that is seems no one has a clear understanding of what is going on, and it looks like it differs among different provinces. Also, Mor Prom was developed to accommodate foreigners because when I registered, it asked me for my passport, my pink card number (on the back), and my age. I think the qualifications for getting the vaccine are dependent upon all of these factors, but, as I said above, I do not have a clear understanding of just how.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, billsmart said:

Unfortunately I can tell you that is seems no one has a clear understanding of what is going on, and it looks like it differs among different provinces. Also, Mor Prom was developed to accommodate foreigners because when I registered, it asked me for my passport, my pink card number (on the back), and my age. I think the qualifications for getting the vaccine are dependent upon all of these factors, but, as I said above, I do not have a clear understanding of just how.

I believe it's been cancelled as they are relocating the vaccines to where they need them most.

The above said, your right, best to go to your local hospital to find out, but for me, having read up on the Sinovac vaccine, it's a no no for me, AZ, If I can get it, otherwise will wait for either J&J, Pfizer or Moderna, more likely towards the end of the year if lucky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I will get the first vaccine I am offered. Like they say, "Any port in a storm." 

Also, if I were to get Sinovac in the next month or so, I could always also get some other vaccine later, if I got access to that.

I was thinking the same thing, but it's efficacy from what read isn't that great ?

Edit: Also can not be used for travel internationally as it's not recognised by the WHO ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

Its efficacy is not zero. That's my point. It's better than nothing.

I'm not concerned about international travel right now. I'm concerned about not getting COVID-19.

They say the chances are 800 in a million.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was thinking the same thing, but it's efficacy from what read isn't that great ?

Edit: Also can not be used for travel internationally as it's not recognised by the WHO ?

Sinopharm is perhaps a better option than Sinovac, and due in Thailand in June. Whether dirty foreigners are allowed access (even at a price), again, who knows?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbkk said:

Sinopharm is perhaps a better option than Sinovac, and due in Thailand in June. Whether dirty foreigners are allowed access (even at a price), again, who knows?

Yes, just reading that article now, still looks like anything half decent are months away.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

They say the chances are 800 in a million.

What is that? There are so many "chances" out there, it makes your head swim -- and in my earlier life, I worked in IT in data analysis.

What are the changes of...

- getting COVID-19?

-- with no vaccine?

---- having to be hospitalized?

---- having long-term disabilities?

---- dying?

-- with a vaccine?

--- and what are the chances (efficacy) of each one?

------ having to be hospitalized?

------ having long-term disabilities?

------ dying?

--- and what are the chances of the vaccine,,,

------ dying?

The list of questions and "chances" just goes on and on... 

• Like 2

What is that? There are so many "chances" out there, it makes your head swim -- and in my earlier life, I worked in IT in data analysis.

What are the changes of...

- getting COVID-19?

-- with no vaccine?

---- having to be hospitalized?

---- having long-term disabilities?

---- dying?

-- with a vaccine?

--- and what are the chances (efficacy) of each one?

------ dying?

--- and what are the chances of the vaccine,,,

------ dying?

The list of questions and "chances" just goes on and on... 

Well put.

Hopefully by years end we can all start to relax if this mob get their $hit together. The Princess stepping in really shows me how incompetent this General, I call him that because he has shown that he is not PM material many times over, and that dirty racist Anutin, because he is not competent to be a Health Minister. 

My wife asks me every morning, how many infected today, how many died Tiruk, with my reply being, honey, we cannot control what we cannot control, the battle is everywhere and the numbers are the ones they tell us are not the real numbers IMO, we just have to stay put and away from everyone until the Calvary arrives, when that will be, who knows, as long as we have food, drink, and stay away from people, we have a very good chance of not getting Covid pre-vaccinations. When out to do grocery shopping, mask up, stay away from people and wash hands and sanitize as we have for the past 17 months, so far so good, don't get spooked.

The above said, looking forward to getting back to normality and hopefully the world learns to leave viruses alone, i.e. no need to play with them in labs, make of that what you will.

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Yes, "minor delays" means "we have no idea of when this will happen." ????

21 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Also can not be used for travel internationally as it's not recognised by the WHO ?

I am sure that countries would likely not approve a vaccine not approved by WHO but I don't think that being approved by WHO automatically puts any vaccine on the approved list for travel.  Look at Thailand.  It is still approving various vaccines Pfizer is not currently on the list approved by Thailand.  Sinopharm had previously been approved by WHO but Thailand just gave it the O.K.  

I think the rest of the world is similar.  Their own health agencies have to clear a vaccine for use within their country. 

20 hours ago, Excel said:

That is unfair. The general Thai public are not xenophobic and I have been here 38 years so should know. There are some elements of Thai society that are , that is true. Unfortunately since the coup the government ministers have frequently displayed their own xenophobic tendencies and hence it manifests itself in covid vaccinations.

28 years and I have seen plenty of xenophobia and xenophobic actions. I have especially seen it in local government departments I had to deal with in my job. It's always been here, just now seems to be official government policy not to hide it. Why, because it has political traction with the general public. 

• Sad 1

Something interesting I found on the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital FB page: 

"Chiangmai Ram Hospital will release the link for "Alternative COVID-19 Vaccine Demand Survey" on the 1st of June 2021 at 10:00 a.m. Anyone who might be interested in Alternative COVID-19 Vaccine please subscribe to the link provided on that date and time."

The most interesting part is the "Alternative Covid-19 Vaccine"?  What could this mean? 

Since I have been a frequent flyer with this hospital I might take a stroll down there and ask.  

Edited by sqwakvfr