Renting a motorbike BKK - A smart or stupid idea?

Genix

14 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Never in Bkk.  Too easy to get around using other ways.

That depends.

I.e. I often ride to places with street food which are maybe 2km away. And then I buy i.e. a noodle soup for 50THB.

How else would I do that except with my own bike. Any other way is inconvenient or financially makes no sense like paying motorcycle taxis 2*40THB to eat a soup for 50B.

I know I could just eat something in walking distance. But it's nice to have the choice and with my own bike it cost almost nothing. 

• Like 1

I rented a bike from "Emma Bike" in 2018. Good choice of well maintaned bikes. Fair prices for a 1 week rental. Maybe they offer long term rents. Definitely worth a try though they are up in Lat Phrao and not "downtown" Bangkok. Their website is https://www.emmamotorbike.com/ I do now see a similar named outfit on Sukhumvit but it's not clear if the Sukhumvit one is connected or trading off the other one's name. DYOR and good luck with your adventure on the streets of Bangkok.

58 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Saw this after my post above. I agree too with your comments. I got a motorcycle scooter in Feb 2020 to use in BKK and for touring. Even after riding bikes since 16, being a motorcycle mechanic, working as a London motorcycle courier for 5+ years and riding big bikes (1000 cc), the experience of riding around Bangkok took a fair while to get used to and scared the <deleted> out of me at first. 

same here.

i did a ride from hualamphong station to pattaya. i have biked through 35 ish provinces, and bangkok i never did again. khon kaen i would put at 2nd worst place to ride due to the intense traffic and road layout through the city, but still not a patch on BKK.

some good advice given by others. i guess take it easy until you get used to it.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That depends.

I.e. I often ride to places with street food which are maybe 2km away. And then I buy i.e. a noodle soup for 50THB.

How else would I do that except with my own bike. Any other way is inconvenient or financially makes no sense like paying motorcycle taxis 2*40THB to eat a soup for 50B.

I know I could just eat something in walking distance. But it's nice to have the choice and with my own bike it cost almost nothing. 

Depends where you live and how often you do that.  I've never felt the need to go to any street food places not within walking distance.

Edited by shdmn

I lived in BKK for a year, and got hit twice on my bike. The first was a bump on the back while at a red light, prob from someone distracted by their phone. The next was from someone trying to scrape by next to me, while I had a passenger and my foot peg was out. They got a rather nasty scrape alongside their rather new car, haha. But now my foot peg is bent. That was enough for me to give up riding to work, and just take the songthaew. Now I'm back out in the country where I can ride to my heart's content.

On 6/1/2021 at 5:48 AM, shdmn said:
On 6/1/2021 at 2:03 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

That depends.

Expand  

Depends where you live and how often you do that.  I've never felt the need to go to any street food places not within walking distance.

And I don’t eat street food, but its still nice have the option of choice further than walking distance away... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think its quite safe to drive in BKK, because of the low speeds. If you are not stupid and wear proper helmet you will unlikely die..

I learnt how to drive here in Thailand and now have over 10k kms on the bike. 

I drive 6km daily to work every day. I have a big bike and a scoooter. Big bike is too big for BKK

Edited by Kalorymetr

My wife drives like an idiot and I make sure to tell her that every day. The reason for her atrocious driving is because she is the sales manager and has to see certain amount of customers per day. She didn't kill herself or anyone yet.

Now think about all those drivers in big busses trying to meet their passenger quotas per day. I actually used to take public bus a lot when I was living in Ramkhamheang. There were accidents with motorbikes, sometimes fatal.

Up to you.