Renting a motorbike BKK - A smart or stupid idea?

Genix

Looking to rent a motorbike in BKK which would mostly be used for Suhkumvit area and not that often.

Good/Bad Idea?

Difficult or easy?

Things I should know?

Why not grab/taxi?

Because it can be a hassle. I work from home and if I wanna grab breakfast somewhere gotta wait for the grab, sometimes give directions (map is wrong), then on the way back wait again, and if i wanna stop on the way home at a mall to buy a few things, stop here, there etc it becomes an inconvenience.

Edited by Genix
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, josthomz said:

Why not rent/buy a car? 

A million times safer than a motorbike.

Traffic & parking. The reason I'd like a motorbike in the first place over Grab is that it's much quicker. Quick hop on, go to emproium, hop back on, go to 7/11, hop back on, go to XYZ etc.  Cheap to rent so even if I use it only once every few days it pays off.

I'd still utilize Grab/Taxis often but this is more of quick conveniences or when multiple stops are required. 

Edited by Genix

Rent one and check it out, and then if ok for you buy one. Riding is BKK to a point takes an experienced rider. Also your are more apt to be pulled over by police check way more than by car or other mode of transportation. For me I am indifferent and still will use one of my family's bikes in BKK when I am there for short trips. But I also have ridden in BKK and have oodles of years behind my belt.

If you’ve never ridden a motorcycle before then the risk is obviously significantly increased. 

For someone who has never ridden a motorcycle (scooter) then key requirements should be: 

1) ABS

2) No Clutch

3) Combined / unified braking system (i.e. left handle controls both the front brake and the rear brake / )

4) Minimum of Shoes / trainers (never flip flops), Full face helmet, gloves.

Get a newer bike (with the modern kit on it).

As far as riding itself is concerned... read a lot, watch a lot, never take a chance, position yourself intelligently on the road etc... biggest risk are the other motorcyclists riding too close to you and cutting of ’exit / escape’ routes.

Police don’t really bother with motorcyclists to the same degree the do in Pattaya or Phuket (tourist areas), but ‘get a licence’.

If you have a friend who also rides go out on some quiet roads with them. 

The best think to learn as soon as you get a bike >>> Hard braking.... Practice emergency braking in a car park. 

Make sure you have health insurance that covers you for motorcycle accidents.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Make sure you have health insurance that covers you for motorcycle accidents.

This is imperative, and make sure you are squeaky-clean legal or they may not cough up!

• Like 2

At least on lower Suk, where the vehicles' movements are a little more predictable than on the outskirts, I believe you would be OK. Thais drive defensively and so long as you are looking in front to check for any unusual movements of the vehicles ahead of you (while minding to check your rear view mirrors) you should be forgiven for novice riding skills by those behind you. Being busy, the traffic is at fairly low speed where you are envisaging riding, and so any minor glitches in your riding skills should easily be adjusted for by the other road users IMO. As another poster mentioned, used scooters around 6 years old can be had for between 20 and 25k. But since you can not really know the history of the bike, buying new could be the way to go. They do hold their value well.....  

3 hours ago, OishiRefill said:

At least on lower Suk, where the vehicles' movements are a little more predictable than on the outskirts, I believe you would be OK. Thais drive defensively and so long as you are looking in front to check for any unusual movements of the vehicles ahead of you (while minding to check your rear view mirrors) you should be forgiven for novice riding skills by those behind you. Being busy, the traffic is at fairly low speed where you are envisaging riding, and so any minor glitches in your riding skills should easily be adjusted for by the other road users IMO. As another poster mentioned, used scooters around 6 years old can be had for between 20 and 25k. But since you can not really know the history of the bike, buying new could be the way to go. They do hold their value well.....  

IMO the biggest threat by far will be not from cars but from the scooters/motorbikes. A large fraction of them are downright reckless with little consideration for or understanding of the risks that they are taking with their own, and your, safety.

• Like 2

Yes tent and then find one you like and buy.

It's easier riding in Bankok than it looks and after a while you get the hang of it. I rode around there for 4 years, no problems.

Main number 1 thing (other than insurance, good helmet etc.) is don't get tempted to drive to places like (Nanna Plaza in the good old days) and get hissed. 

• Like 1

It's a good idea to have a bike for exactly what you describe. Ride 2km to your favorite coffee place, do a little shopping, etc.

I live in that area and I have a bike and I use it constantly for exactly what you describe.

BUT

The roads here are dangerous and many drivers and riders are crazy and/or ignore the rules.

When I arrived in Bangkok, many years ago, I thought I will never drive/ride anything in this town. Then I used motorcycle taxis constantly for about two years. That was great for learning. I learned the roads and all the shortcuts in my area. I learned where they (illegally) made u-turns, ignored red lights, rode against the traffic, etc. I also learned that they almost never rush when the light turns green - because there likely will be bikes and cars who ignore the red light from the other way.

I absorbed this for a long time until it was "normal" with few surprises. I don't remember how long it took to do this, but it took some time, I would guess at least several months.

Then I bought my own bike (a KDX 200 at that time) and I started to ride in Bangkok. I knew how to ride a bike from back home and by now I had experience about traffic in Bangkok. I still ride here, now since more than 20 years, and I never had an accident that hurt.

Recently a business partner was convinced by his friend to rent a motorcycle. Right on the first day he had  an accident. How did it happen? He wanted to just ride once around the block to get a feel for the bike. And because he wasn't familiar with the area (on a bike) he didn't find the way back from Sukhumvit Soi 6 to Soi 19. Because there are no legal u-turns for a long time. He got nervous, he got more nervous, and he crashed. In this case I am pretty sure the problem was not so much his riding skills but more that he didn't know where to go and he got nervous and bad things happen in such situations.

A) If you know already how to ride a bike then learn about riding in Bangkok - by using lots of motorcycle taxis.

B) If you don't know how to ride a bike then better learn that thoroughly somewhere else - not on Bangkok roads!

If A and B is done then get a small bike - like 125 to 150cc. They are fast enough and small enough to get through traffic. Personally I like a "proper bike" with gears and clutch. It's not more difficult to ride these things when you know what you are doing. ABS is nice but not really necessary - if you know how to ride a bike.

If you rent a bike it seems there are shops with good prices. But be aware that some shops make the big money from exaggerated repair cost. A few scratches and it can get expensive. In reality the plastic parts of many small bikes are relative cheap. But put a scratch on a "big" bike expect a huge bill. Those parts are actually really expensive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Yes tent and then find one you like and buy.

It's easier riding in Bankok than it looks and after a while you get the hang of it. I rode around there for 4 years, no problems.

Main number 1 thing (other than insurance, good helmet etc.) is don't get tempted to drive to places like (Nanna Plaza in the good old days) and get hissed. 

I guess it's good that Nana doesn't include a big parking lot anymore. ????

36391564620_8c7cd020b0_c.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's a good idea to have a bike for exactly what you describe. Ride 2km to your favorite coffee place, do a little shopping, etc.

I live in that area and I have a bike and I use it constantly for exactly what you describe.

BUT

The roads here are dangerous and many drivers and riders are crazy and/or ignore the rules.

When I arrived in Bangkok, many years ago, I thought I will never drive/ride anything in this town. Then I used motorcycle taxis constantly for about two years. That was great for learning. I learned the roads and all the shortcuts in my area. I learned where they (illegally) made u-turns, ignored red lights, rode against the traffic, etc. I also learned that they almost never rush when the light turns green - because there likely will be bikes and cars who ignore the red light from the other way.

I absorbed this for a long time until it was "normal" with few surprises. I don't remember how long it took to do this, but it took some time, I would guess at least several months.

Then I bought my own bike (a KDX 200 at that time) and I started to ride in Bangkok. I knew how to ride a bike from back home and by now I had experience about traffic in Bangkok. I still ride here, now since more than 20 years, and I never had an accident that hurt.

Recently a business partner was convinced by his friend to rent a motorcycle. Right on the first day he had  an accident. How did it happen? He wanted to just ride once around the block to get a feel for the bike. And because he wasn't familiar with the area (on a bike) he didn't find the way back from Sukhumvit Soi 6 to Soi 19. Because there are no legal u-turns for a long time. He got nervous, he got more nervous, and he crashed. In this case I am pretty sure the problem was not so much his riding skills but more that he didn't know where to go and he got nervous and bad things happen in such situations.

A) If you know already how to ride a bike then learn about riding in Bangkok - by using lots of motorcycle taxis.

B) If you don't know how to ride a bike then better learn that thoroughly somewhere else - not on Bangkok roads!

If A and B is done then get a small bike - like 125 to 150cc. They are fast enough and small enough to get through traffic. Personally I like a "proper bike" with gears and clutch. It's not more difficult to ride these things when you know what you are doing. ABS is nice but not really necessary - if you know how to ride a bike.

If you rent a bike it seems there are shops with good prices. But be aware that some shops make the big money from exaggerated repair cost. A few scratches and it can get expensive. In reality the plastic parts of many small bikes are relative cheap. But put a scratch on a "big" bike expect a huge bill. Those parts are actually really expensive.

Thanks for this very informative & detailed post. Yes I've ridden many times before and I believe I'm a defensive driver and "smart" when it comes to riding, won't get nervous etc. Might just ride at night-time for the first few days to get used to it easier and then start riding day-time too.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Get yourself an electric scooter/bicycle... no license necessary, bib won't even look in your direction..  and cheaper overall...  since you appear to only be doing short haul trips...

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Genix said:

Thanks for this very informative & detailed post. Yes I've ridden many times before and I believe I'm a defensive driver and "smart" when it comes to riding, won't get nervous etc. Might just ride at night-time for the first few days to get used to it easier and then start riding day-time too.

Thank you!

I am not sure if night-time riding is easier. I would try a time with few delivery riders because they are the worst of the pack. Maybe 6am is a good time. ???? 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Genix said:

I work from home and if I wanna grab breakfast somewhere gotta wait for the grab,

Breakfast is probably the best meal to try and make yourself at home. Whatever you fancy provided you have a fridge you can make most things within 10 minutes. Better to go out for lunch later in the day and save the bother of going out for breakfast.

• Confused 1

motorbike taxi, Grab and Food Panda zipping around you like squadrons of fighter planes trying to shoot you down. 

Listen. Understand. That Terminator is out there. It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with...it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear... and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead.

OK. that last part was from movie but you get the idea. 

• Like 2

I have been riding daily in Bangkok city for sixteen years and no problems.

It's a great freedom in this city.

As others suggest, probably best to buy one and sell when you leave.

32 minutes ago, Denim said:

Breakfast is probably the best meal to try and make yourself at home. Whatever you fancy provided you have a fridge you can make most things within 10 minutes. Better to go out for lunch later in the day and save the bother of going out for breakfast.

That depend on your definition of breakfast. That's about 10% of the buffet.

the-breakfast-buffet.jpg

7 hours ago, PMZ said:

I have been riding daily in Bangkok city for sixteen years and no problems.

It's a great freedom in this city.

As others suggest, probably best to buy one and sell when you leave.

Popped out to the shops earlier and took the long way home.... 

I didn’t really have any ‘near misses’.... but had I not been predicting the unpredictability and total and utter fv<kwittery unfolding around me then it would have been very easy to end up involved in a completely unnecessary accident. 

i.e. riding down the road.... another motorcycle is hovering to my right in my blindspot, I increase my speed a little to give myself an ‘out’ if I need to swerve, the motorcyclist stays my blind spot, I slow down and put him in front of me. 

Another motorcyclist is pulling out from the left, he hasn’t looked yet, he’s still moving, he didn’t look. I move across to the right knowing my blindspot is free, quick shoulder check just in case, its clear, turn back the bike has pulled out, there’s a pot hole I’d rather not ride over, can’t move to the left the motorcycle has just pulled out alongside me and is on my left quarter, can’t swerve to the right there are motorcyclists coming towards me on the centreline as they pass other motorcyclists....  If I brake hard to avoid the pot hole another motorcyclist behind may hit me, I blip the throttle, shoulder check left, accelerate and shift to the left about 1 foot and avoid the pot hole. Then the car in front just stops for no reason at all (no junctions etc, maybe they are lost), I brake hard (I’ve just accelerated) and wait for the bikes behind not to notice and ride into me, fortunately that doesn’t happen.....  >>> thats just 1 min of riding !!! 

Another... I’m on a small soi doing about 30 kmh....   a car on the left is waiting to pull out from a smaller sub-soi. 

I mirror and shoulder check, clear. No other vehicles coming towards me in the approaching lane. 

I watch the wheels of the car, they are stopped so I carry on approaching.  The car then edges out !!!....  

A$$hole... emergency brake or swerve....  split decision, swerve into the oncoming lane (nothing is coming), I hit the horn, the car has edged about 1m into the road... I carry on... No biggie, thats just normal.

Note: Had there been cars or bikes approaching in the oncoming lane or a bike on my shoulder (blindspot) I would have slowed down a lot earlier knowing the likelihood of the car pulling out even knowing he has seen me, a lot of car drivers too that !!! motorcyclists nearly always do that !!! 

As described in a very long winded manner above - Total and utter fv<wittery..... but its the normal and the above thoughts and actions happen as instinct.... the silly stuff is normal and doesn’t even phase me, I ride in Bangkok always covering my brakes and never take my eyes of the road to ’sight see’ when in confined streets or busy traffic. 

I imagine every other motorcyclists has very similar stories and rides with a very similar understanding that anything and everything no matter how unpredictable can unfold before their eyes. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats made me hungry....  Buffet breakfast for walk in’s or for only for hotel guests ?

Where is it & how much ? 

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. You can walk in an have that breakfast. It is as good as it looks.

But in the moment the size is reduced and not much self service because of Covid.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Popped out to the shops earlier and took the long way home.... 

I didn’t really have any ‘near misses’.... but had I not been predicting the unpredictability and total and utter fv<kwittery unfolding around me then it would have been very easy to end up involved in a completely unnecessary accident. 

i.e. riding down the road.... another motorcycle is hovering to my right in my blindspot, I increase my speed a little to give myself an ‘out’ if I need to swerve, the motorcyclist stays my blind spot, I slow down and put him in front of me. 

Another motorcyclist is pulling out from the left, he hasn’t looked yet, he’s still moving, he didn’t look. I move across to the right knowing my blindspot is free, quick shoulder check just in case, its clear, turn back the bike has pulled out, there’s a pot hole I’d rather not ride over, can’t move to the left the motorcycle has just pulled out alongside me and is on my left quarter, can’t swerve to the right there are motorcyclists coming towards me on the centreline as they pass other motorcyclists....  If I brake hard to avoid the pot hole another motorcyclist behind may hit me, I blip the throttle, shoulder check left, accelerate and shift to the left about 1 foot and avoid the pot hole. Then the car in front just stops for no reason at all (no junctions etc, maybe they are lost), I brake hard (I’ve just accelerated) and wait for the bikes behind not to notice and ride into me, fortunately that doesn’t happen.....  >>> thats just 1 min of riding !!! 

Another... I’m on a small soi doing about 30 kmh....   a car on the left is waiting to pull out from a smaller sub-soi. 

I mirror and shoulder check, clear. No other vehicles coming towards me in the approaching lane. 

I watch the wheels of the car, they are stopped so I carry on approaching.  The car then edges out !!!....  

A$$hole... emergency brake or swerve....  split decision, swerve into the oncoming lane (nothing is coming), I hit the horn, the car has edged about 1m into the road... I carry on... No biggie, thats just normal.

Note: Had there been cars or bikes approaching in the oncoming lane or a bike on my shoulder (blindspot) I would have slowed down a lot earlier knowing the likelihood of the car pulling out even knowing he has seen me, a lot of car drivers too that !!! motorcyclists nearly always do that !!! 

As described in a very long winded manner above - Total and utter fv<wittery..... but its the normal and the above thoughts and actions happen as instinct.... the silly stuff is normal and doesn’t even phase me, I ride in Bangkok always covering my brakes and never take my eyes of the road to ’sight see’ when in confined streets or busy traffic. 

I imagine every other motorcyclists has very similar stories and rides with a very similar understanding that anything and everything no matter how unpredictable can unfold before their eyes. 

Sounds like just another ride in Bangkok. I don't say "just another day" because a lot more happens in a whole day.

And I agree with the brakes. ALLWAYS have your fingers on the brake!

brake-hand-position.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Genix said:

Might just ride at night-time for the first few days to get used to it easier and then start riding day-time too.

No, no, no! Not a good idea. At night you will be less visible, traffic will be moving faster, streets will be dark and myopic drivers in vehicles with dark tinted glass are more likely to be drunk. Best ride in "rush" hours when it will be safer. Try mornings as there will be less food delivery riders around too. Keep your wits about you, don't be in a hurry and have very good mirrors to use.

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not sure if night-time riding is easier. I would try a time with few delivery riders because they are the worst of the pack. Maybe 6am is a good time. ???? 

Saw this after my post above. I agree too with your comments. I got a motorcycle scooter in Feb 2020 to use in BKK and for touring. Even after riding bikes since 16, being a motorcycle mechanic, working as a London motorcycle courier for 5+ years and riding big bikes (1000 cc), the experience of riding around Bangkok took a fair while to get used to and scared the <deleted> out of me at first. 

• Thanks 1

If you have lots of experience riding a motorbike then you will be fine.  If not then I would not recommend it or be very cautious and drive very defensively. 

I have lots of experience and history riding motorbikes but I prefer not doing that in Thailand because it adds a lot of unnecessary stress for me.  I will do it sometimes in Pattaya if there is something specific I want to do. Never in Bkk.  Too easy to get around using other ways.  

Edited by shdmn

11 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Saw this after my post above. I agree too with your comments. I got a motorcycle scooter in Feb 2020 to use in BKK and for touring. Even after riding bikes since 16, being a motorcycle mechanic, working as a London motorcycle courier for 5+ years and riding big bikes (1000 cc), the experience of riding around Bangkok took a fair while to get used to and scared the <deleted> out of me at first. 

Thanks

To add some good news: After riding in Bangkok on several bikes (150 - 400cc) for 20 years I am absolutely used to it.

There are still some scary situations but seldom anything that I didn't somehow expect.

Hopefully I will survive another 20 years in that traffic. It is scary sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1