Thailand reports new daily record of 5,485 new COVID-19 cases, 19 new deaths

webfact

8 minutes ago, blackcab said:

This graph is not to scale. Below is a to-scale graph produced in Excel.

No criticism of the poster at all, this is an observation about the graph.

120.JPG.a34418c53415a1858f47f702ca6975e4.JPG

Ya, the local media seem to have difficulty producing accurate graphs... I called out this one just yesterday....

graph.jpg.1f4df2cecbf4edcf527062bff402a424.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Update: The government’s pandemic response center on Monday evening put the reopening on hold for another 14 days.

Bangkok Parks, Spas, Beauty Clinics To Reopen June 1

BANGKOK — A number of public venues in the capital will be allowed to reopen beginning this Tuesday, the City Hall announced Monday.

khaosodenglish.com

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1399350944479932418

There must have been some heated exchanges going on in the background to announce such a quick turnaround. Of course its the right decision not to open up although the parks pose no risk so they could have opened those as planned.

26 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Update: The government’s pandemic response center on Monday evening put the reopening on hold for another 14 days.

Bangkok Parks, Spas, Beauty Clinics To Reopen June 1

BANGKOK — A number of public venues in the capital will be allowed to reopen beginning this Tuesday, the City Hall announced Monday.

khaosodenglish.com

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1399350944479932418

So it was scaled back to none and the Parks which were to be opened and which would have been nice for taking the daughter out, even though the playground and other equipment was probably still going to be roped off, are now off of the books for another 2 weeks, bummer.

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So it was scaled back some, but the Parks will be open which will be nice for taking the daughter out, even though the playground and other equipment will probably still be roped off.

No everything on hold I think:

The CCSA puts the brakes on the decision by the Bangkok Governor to re-open five types of places on 1st June. They will now remain closed for at least another 14 days until 14 June. This includes parks, museums, health spas & Thai massage

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399357655240511497

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No everything on hold I think:

The CCSA puts the brakes on the decision by the Bangkok Governor to re-open five types of places on 1st June. They will now remain closed for at least another 14 days until 14 June. This includes parks, museums, health spas & Thai massage

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399357655240511497

I edited out my post above to indicate such.

• Like 1

Open, close. Yes, no. Can, cannot.

The ineptitude and total lack of clear and meaningful decision making continues. No wonder virtually no one seems to have any faith in what will happen, and in the meantime Thailand limps onwards to an uncertain future.

Meanwhile, keep on cramming into the malls, supermarkets, BTS, etc. folks...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pkrv said:

Open, close. Yes, no. Can, cannot.

The ineptitude and total lack of clear and meaningful decision making continues. No wonder virtually no one seems to have any faith in what will happen, and in the meantime Thailand limps onwards to an uncertain future.

Meanwhile, keep on cramming into the malls, supermarkets, BTS, etc. folks...

I work at Centralworld and the new Apple store just outside was packed today!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I work at Centralworld and the new Apple store just outside was packed today!

Walked by it on both Saturday and Sunday and it had only a handful of people inside of it.  Wonder what new promo they had which started today. Central World was also pretty deserted over the weekend when we were inside between 6 and 9 pm as we cut through from the skywalk and the Ratchaprasong walkway as a cool down during our runs since the parks are closed.  Maybe busier during the day, but you work there and would know the busy times.  It used to be it was always packed in the evenings, before Covid especially on the weekends.

• Like 1

CNA has a lot on Singapore’s vaccination program today because PM Lee was giving a state of Covid address.

it’s transparent, organized, detailed and I would imagine very comforting in general to Singaporeans. 

if only it were like that here. Reading the details of the Singaporean program made me realize just how chaotic Thailand’s vaccination program actually is. Sometimes you get kind of numb to it all, and then something throws it all into stark relief.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

CNA has a lot on Singapore’s vaccination program today because PM Lee was giving a state of Covid address.

it’s transparent, organized, detailed and I would imagine very comforting in general to Singaporeans. 

if only it were like that here. Reading the details of the Singaporean program made me realize just how chaotic Thailand’s vaccination program actually is. Sometimes you get kind of numb to it all, and then something throws it all into stark relief.

In fairness, Singapore is a city state with a small  population. Very easy to monitor and to roll out  health program. Also, Singapore is a wealthy developed world country that occupies the same tier as an EU country.

4 people in Udon Thani, have been diagnosed with the Indian variant of COVID-19, but their conditions are not serious and they are being monitored closely, said Udon Thani Governor Sayam Sirimongkol today.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/four-cases-of-indian-variant-of-covid-19-found-in-udon-thani-province/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

In fairness, Singapore is a city state with a small  population. Very easy to monitor and to roll out  health program. Also, Singapore is a wealthy developed world country that occupies the same tier as an EU country.

Partially true. The population is small and comprises a city about half the size of bangkok. But I don’t see that it makes it THAT much easier. A lot of the same issues exist when developing a comprehensive vaccination plan.

it’s also wealthy, but money hasn’t really been an issue for Thailand so I can’t see that makes any difference.

yes, Singapore is developed and something like a vaccination plan suits it national psyche down to the ground. Organization is its byword.

but all in all, I stand by what I said. The articles on Singapore’s plan highlight just how chaotic things are in Thailand. Maybe it’s not fair to think that Thailand can do as well as Singapore, but maybe they could get a lot closer.

I’m Singaporean btw, so maybe it’s just me.

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

4 people in Udon Thani, have been diagnosed with the Indian variant of COVID-19, but their conditions are not serious and they are being monitored closely, said Udon Thani Governor Sayam Sirimongkol today.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/four-cases-of-indian-variant-of-covid-19-found-in-udon-thani-province/

Oh dear, I am due to go to Udon next month for my first AZ jab.

gulp.

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

and there we have it. From Laksi in Bangkok to Udon Thani.

And yet some people say that Songkran travel did not spread Covid to the provinces.

I think the kudjub district mentioned in the article is actually Kut Chap district. About 20 km from my house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Walked by it on both Saturday and Sunday and it had only a handful of people inside of it.  Wonder what new promo they had which started today. Central World was also pretty deserted over the weekend when we were inside between 6 and 9 pm as we cut through from the skywalk and the Ratchaprasong walkway as a cool down during our runs since the parks are closed.  Maybe busier during the day, but you work there and would know the busy times.  It used to be it was always packed in the evenings, before Covid especially on the weekends.

Yeah, the mall itself is usually quiet, apart from the food-court and restaurants on the 6th and 7th floors.  Something was definitely going on at the Apple store today - every sales bench was busy.  

6 hours ago, morrobay said:

I would say low level workers in Singapore society are much more  segregated/far removed socially/physically  from the general population than their counterparts in Thailand . 

Generally speaking that's true but I think today's big outbreaks were in huge worker dormitories that are just as segregated from society as those in Singapore.

20 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Generally speaking that's true but I think today's big outbreaks were in huge worker dormitories that are just as segregated from society as those in Singapore.

The two new large outbreaks reported for Bangkok today was in a community residentail area and a workers camp. Outside of Bangkok the largest was in a chicken factory

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

The Department of Corrections is reporting 1,953 new infections today and another death. In this latest wave, there have been 26,272 infections and nine deaths in 13 prisons. So far, 10,078 inmates have recovered #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399329876084105216

To my calculations, that death rate

(out of 26,272 prisoners) is a minuscule 0.035%.

And even then, you would have to consider they are living in the worst possible environment.

That tells you how dangerous this thing really is...or isnt.

You could also assume the 0.035% would be those few who were very old and/or  were in a bad way with other comorbidities.

IMO To many people get caught up on case numbers and dont consider the fatality rate.

Actually such a small figure, probaby chronic pneumonia and many other conditions would have a similar % death rate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, pookondee said:

You could also assume the 0.035% would be those few who were very old and/or  were in a bad way with other comorbidities.

IMO To many people get caught up on case numbers and dont consider the fatality rate.

Actually such a small figure, probaby chronic pneumonia and many other conditions would have a similar % death rate. 

Countries future is being sacrificed so that, allegedly, very old and/or sick people can live a few more weeks.

The lockdown argument is strung together with emotional blackmail and distractions.

The general public don't yet realise how bad the economic hangover will be. Most people are going to be forced into extreme austerity. No one has figured out how to "re-inflate" the economy when inter-generational life savings have been sapped.

Some people have made money, which will buy a lot of political influence.

https://www.businessinsider.com/billionaires-made-39-trillion-during-the-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccines-2021-1?r=DE&IR=T

Billionaires made $3.9 trillion during the pandemic

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

There must have been some heated exchanges going on in the background to announce such a quick turnaround. Of course its the right decision not to open up although the parks pose no risk so they could have opened those as planned.

I suspect parks were only added so that a loss of face could be avoided as everyone knows how vital massage parlors and salons that also do massage in the back are 

There is a reason every 6th business is a massage parlor ????

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yesterday the Soi directly behind us was closed and the BMA spent a considerable amount of time washing and spraying at all of the entrances to the homes on that stretch and the shops.  The only reason I can see is that a case must have popped up there.  On top of that many of the homeless folks that we normally see on our walks have seemingly disappeared from here since Friday.  Stay safe folks, the numbers being found in more than just factories is growing, and I see that CP has now closed it's poultry factory due to an outbreak there.

there are still flying every day and tested with Covid-19 they say it different on the day on updates but each day up to 20 some days no-one asked how come they got on the plane  

Door open to expats for vaccine appointments, they simply have to push says top official

The Moderna vaccine and a package being promoted by the Private Hospital Association is emerging as a favoured option among the expat community while many are also quite happy to accept the public programme where the AstraZeneca vaccine is likely to be the dominant offering. Key advice to foreigners is to seek help and consult with their existing medical practitioners and facility or hospital about the best way to get vaccinated. However, it will take some time until a critical level of vaccine supplies enters the system before all hospitals are up to speed with the programme which only now is being rolled out on an industrial scale.

The government and the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) are encouraging foreigners living in Thailand to seek the opportunity to register for the kingdom’s vaccine programme despite ongoing confusion and a lack of information being encountered by many expats even this week. The key advice is that foreigners should seek support from their local public health centre or hospital which holds their records although officials are also insisting that all non-Thai nationals will be able to request registration, with their passports as identification, through walk-in vaccine centres and online facilities being operated on both a national and provincial basis. 

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/06/01/door-now-open-to-expats-seeking-vaccines/